PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics that break down at high levels

Schattenbach
2018-09-25, 11:16 AM
Hello everyone,

since over one year ago, whenever i felt like it, I’ve worked on creating a new D20 System that’s intending to use some of the most useful bits of the OGL content of Pathfinder 1e, DnD3.5/D20Modern/D20Future, Classless BESM D20, the D20 Mecha and a few other OGL D20 systems combined with the general workings of BESM 3e/TriStats/dX Attributes and such and to use them to form a solid baseline for high powered settings such some western fantasy/western animation/comic book settings or settings such as Little Garden (Mondaiji tachi ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sō Desu yo? Light Novel Setting), Gensokyo (Touhou Main Setting), the Nasuverse (Type Moon Settings), the ToAru-Verse (i.e. ToAru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun and such) as well as diverse Xianxia (i.e. high-powered chinese cultivation worlds) settings, all of which host beings with highly diverse power levels ranging from ordinary humans to well beyond the scale of planet destroying or star crushing gods and demons. And even if someone isn’t looking any of that, the various subsystems that make up the rules framework should still prove useful when wanting to use a great variety of games.

Neither of the systems I mentioned above are particularly perfect (for example, Tri-Stat dX and BESM 3e have some issues with Attribute pricing/cost scaling ... and this is far worse in BESM D20) while D20 generally breaks down it its mechanics at higher levels (HP scales to fast, spell DCs fail to catch up to ever-increasing bonus-types, Skill system starts to fail, CMD scales way too fast in Pathfinder) when it comes to the combat and skill system (doesn’t even need wonky Spells/Spell rules and, much worse, Epic Spell rules for that), so taking some of the best options out of all these systems as well as some additional rulings seems like the best solution to that.

So ... what’s your opinion about this ... what mechanics seem fail at higher levels (or simply not work at all as intended to begin with)? While I already fixed several issues in that regard, always good to look out for stuff one might’ve missed.

Edit: Noticed that I posted a part of this in the wrong forum, was supposed to end up in the homebrew section ... so the post regarding that ends up there.

SirAshley
2018-09-25, 05:58 PM
I am a huge fan of the d10 system, particularly the Classic/Old World of Darkness games. That being said, the way your characters grow with skills and abilities can sometimes feel like a double edged sword. Most rolls call for a combination of your rating in an Attribute and an Ability, for example, Dexterity+Brawl. The higher your dice pool gets, representing character competency, the more chances you have to roll 1s, or botches, and fail your action. You almost have to find a sweet spot to get the most out of your rolls.