PDA

View Full Version : Is Odin really the leader of the North Pantheon?

Toad
2018-09-25, 11:33 AM
So... who likes crack pot theories?

Anyway, I mean, there's no doubt he runs it now. But I suspect that might not always have been the case. We've questioned every aspect of the Crayon Flashbacks, so I might as well question this now.

Maybe there was a previous North Pantheon leader who was killed by the Snarl and died saving the North Pantheon or something. I believe this could be the case because in #1141, Odin breaks a trend the other leaders have.

Marduk's eyes are Red in Thor's illusion, Zeus' are Green, and Dragon's are Blue. These match their quiddity, but the other gods shown next to them don't have colored eyes. Only the leaders have their eyes match their quiddity.

Now look at Odin. He has an eyepatch, that's fine, but his good eye is jet black like a normal god. Why?

Because maybe he isn't the original top god. Maybe it was Bor like in the myth. Or maybe it's totally irrelevant, but I thought since the "aura" turned out to be important, I might as well point it out.

Granted, Odin not being the original god could explain why the Northern Pantheon is so much more proactive about the whole Snarl thing. If they lost their original leader, Thor, Odin and Loki for instance would be much more motivated to help out.

That said, there's really no other hints at this I can remember, so it's pretty unlikely. Meh. It'd be cool if I called something, but still.

Fyraltari
2018-09-25, 11:46 AM
Now look at Odin. He has an eyepatch, that's fine, but his good eye is jet black like a normal god. Why?
Pretty sure that's his bad eye.

Granted, Odin not being the original god could explain why the Northern Pantheon is so much more proactive about the whole Snarl thing.

"so much more proactive" how? All their activeness consitsts of is Hel trying to exploit the world's destruction to her own end and being thwarted by Thor and Loki plus Thor talking to Durkon right now (and maybe Odin setting him up for this).

All of those have one thing in common. They are centered around Durkon, the only religious member of the Order, who happens to worship the Northern Gods.

The other pantheons could have just as many schemes running and we wouldn't know because they wouldn't involve our heroes.

Rrmcklin
2018-09-25, 01:21 PM
I'm gonna go with "totally irrelevant". Even if Odin did depose someone else a billion years ago... so what, why should we care about that at all?

Synesthesy
2018-09-25, 02:28 PM
And Loki that has red eyes? He's clearly a red SPY!

martianmister
2018-09-25, 04:15 PM
Ymir was the original leader.

Brokshi
2018-09-25, 04:37 PM
Funnily enough, the only one coming to mind with bright yellow eyes is the MitD. I doubt this'll amount to anything though.

martianmister
2018-09-25, 04:52 PM
Funnily enough, the only one coming to mind with bright yellow eyes is the MitD. I doubt this'll amount to anything though.

MitD is Ymir? :smalleek:

Particle_Man
2018-09-25, 05:12 PM
My theory goes the other way, that Odin has become senile and is propped up by his son Thor, who is the real power in the pantheon (all those dwarves!) but doesn't want to depose his own dad.

Gift Jeraff
2018-09-25, 05:21 PM
Maybe Odin's empty eye socket is glowing with overwhelming yellow light?

Fyraltari
2018-09-25, 05:37 PM
Maybe Odin's empty eye socket is glowing with overwhelming yellow light?

Wait, I know! It is that mysterious eye from strip 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html). Yellow is kind of like green, and we never had a payoff for that obvious set up. :smalltongue:

Elanasaurus
2018-09-26, 12:22 AM
Wait, I know! It is that mysterious eye from strip 698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html). Yellow is kind of like green, and we never had a payoff for that obvious set up. :smalltongue:This idea's the most plausible to me so far. It would finally explain what that scrying eye is.
:elan:

Bad Wolf
2018-09-26, 01:37 AM
My take: We only see the Western Pantheon's Godsmoot and their internal schemes. It seems like the other two pantheons had their own moots, and they're just relaying the results to the Northern Pantheon. Marduk (did i spell that right?) And Dragon are probably doing their own things to save the world.

For all we know, Rob Redblade is on a desperate race against time to stop his former friend turned vampire Murkon Lightninghammer from destroying the world for Nergal.

Quebbster
2018-09-26, 02:25 AM
You know who does have yellow Eyes in that comic? The Dark One. Clearly he was originally the head of the Northern Pantheon but got deposed and was reborn as a mortal goblin and then subsequently re-deified. And Rabbit has Purple Eyes, so he is clearly the true patron deity of the goblin people!
Ox having yellow Eyes and Loki having red Eyes is definite proof there has been hostage Exchanges between the Pantheons too. There's probably a Western god with blue Eyes we don't see.

Mordaedil
2018-09-26, 03:33 AM
It's fair to note that Odin and Loki established Valhalla together and it could be argued that Loki has as much power as Odin does, but prefers to work behind a higher figure, and Odin knows this, but keeps mum about it.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-26, 12:28 PM
Who is Odin's wife? :smallwink:

woweedd
2018-09-26, 01:10 PM
Who is Odin's wife? :smallwink:
Frigg, and you're actually not far off. In Norse Myth, even though Odin's technically the leader, he's not like Zeus or Ra. He doesn't do much actual ruling, and is instead always out questing for knowledge. Because of this, Frigg often is the pantheon's de-facto leader, as she' s in charge whenever he's busy, which is often.

Fyraltari
2018-09-26, 02:04 PM
In this world, at least, it is spelled Frigg (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1024.html).