PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Paladin Ranger Multiclass

Aggie The Great
2018-09-25, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, I am new here.

I have been playing an Oath of Vengeance Paladin and have reached the 10th level.

The DM has stated that we can now multiclass.

I want to multiclass as a Beast Master Ranger because I love the ability to track and the Tunnel fighting style. Besides, I want a companion animal, specifically a Faerie Dragon.

My question is simple.

Is it worth it?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

pygmybatrider
2018-09-25, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I am new here.

I have been playing an Oath of Vengeance Paladin and have reached the 10th level.

The DM has stated that we can now multiclass.

I want to multiclass as a Beast Master Ranger because I love the ability to track and the Tunnel fighting style. Besides, I want a companion animal, specifically a Faerie Dragon.

My question is simple.

Is it worth it?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I’d definitely take another level for Improved Divine Smite and then go from there.

I think Ranger to 3 would work fine as long as you have the Wisdom, especially if you get the okay to use the Revised Ranger, but you’d probably have to work with your DM to refluff a pterodactyl or a giant owl into a faerie dragon as they are much stronger than is usually allowed for Ranger pets.

I’d also consider taking Archfey Pact of the Chain Warlock to 3 as it gets you a pseudo dragon companion and some powerful ranged options that paladins don’t usually have. You do miss out on a second fighting style, however, and no bonus to improve your tracking - so if you were sold on those two, and Hunters Mark and skill proficiencies don’t do it for you, Ranger is probably your best option.

SunderedWorldDM
2018-09-25, 04:11 PM
Well, for various reasons I would say no. First of all, unless your DM makes an exception, you can only have a Beast of CR 1/4 or lower and even the youngest Fairy Dragon breaks those rules.

Second, as I have experienced them, the animal companion rules suck.

However, I think there is a way for you to get your companion if your DM allows homebrew content. Check out the Feywalker class by EN5ider. If you take the Entropy circle, I think you have a chance of getting a Fairy Dragon companion. However, there is no fighting style and minimal tracking. (Of course, I'm not staring at it right now, so I could be wrong...)

If you would rather have just the tracking and Tunnel FS, just take 2 levels in Ranger and leave it there. But the companion system isn't worth it, particularly if you have your heart set on a Fairy Dragon...

Hope that helps! Someone better at this correct me if I'm wrong.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-26, 06:32 AM
Thanks, guys.

I took a 1 point hit in armor class, but I have the benefits of Tunnel Fighting and Favored Enemy to help me when meleeing against monsters and fiends.

The Faerie Dragon was chosen because of it's mischievous nature. My Paladin is a tank, but he is gruff, so this companion, Reign, will allow him to relax a bit.

GlenSmash!
2018-09-26, 01:14 PM
I'm just surprised someone meets the str, dex, wis, and cha requirements to multiclass Paladin and ranger.

I don't think I've had a character with 13+ is all those scores.

Aett_Thorn
2018-09-26, 04:32 PM
Thanks, guys.

I took a 1 point hit in armor class, but I have the benefits of Tunnel Fighting and Favored Enemy to help me when meleeing against monsters and fiends.

The Faerie Dragon was chosen because of it's mischievous nature. My Paladin is a tank, but he is gruff, so this companion, Reign, will allow him to relax a bit.

Okay, i’m curious: why did you take a hit to AC with this multiclass?

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 05:02 AM
Okay, i’m curious: why did you take a hit to AC with this multiclass?

The DM cited the medium armor requirement for the Ranger, and since I am choosing stealth as a skill he argued that the heavy armor would not be feasible.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 05:06 AM
I'm just surprised someone meets the str, dex, wis, and cha requirements to multiclass Paladin and ranger.

I don't think I've had a character with 13+ is all those scores.

I rolled very high when I created my Paladin.

The lowest was an 11 which I had used for Charisma, but during the long campaign I was able to elevate it to 13.

I was very luck at the beginning.

Aett_Thorn
2018-09-27, 05:14 AM
The DM cited the medium armor requirement for the Ranger, and since I am choosing stealth as a skill he argued that the heavy armor would not be feasible.

There is no medium armor requirement for a Ranger, they just don’t get Proficiency in it at first level. You’d still have proficiency in it from Paladin.

Also, in Heavy Armor you get disadvantage on Stealth checks, but that can happen in several Medium armors, too. So be careful there. I get that these seem to be houserules affecting you, but it might be good for the DM to read the rules on multiclassing again.

sophontteks
2018-09-27, 10:26 AM
Not to mention the fact that paladins have medium armor profeciency. Something doesn't add up here.

Angelalex242
2018-09-27, 01:50 PM
I rolled very high when I created my Paladin.

The lowest was an 11 which I had used for Charisma, but during the long campaign I was able to elevate it to 13.

I was very luck at the beginning.

Wait WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

You put your LOWEST stat in Charisma? For a Paladin?

...That's like rogues dumping dex.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 03:50 PM
Wait WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

You put your LOWEST stat in Charisma? For a Paladin?

...That's like rogues dumping dex.

I understand.

I rushed into the game when we started.

Did not even have the book yet.

When I level up that is where I concentrate my points.

Learning as I am going.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 03:53 PM
There is no medium armor requirement for a Ranger, they just don’t get Proficiency in it at first level. You’d still have proficiency in it from Paladin.

Also, in Heavy Armor you get disadvantage on Stealth checks, but that can happen in several Medium armors, too. So be careful there. I get that these seem to be houserules affecting you, but it might be good for the DM to read the rules on multiclassing again.

To avoid the disadvantage for stealth I chose to use medium armor.

With the medium armor I now have advantage as a Ranger.

It will allow me to scout ahead, something I could not do well in the first campaign.

sophontteks
2018-09-27, 04:07 PM
To avoid the disadvantage for stealth I chose to use medium armor.

With the medium armor I now have advantage as a Ranger.

It will allow me to scout ahead, something I could not do well in the first campaign.
You shouldn't have advantage as ranger. There is nothing in the beastmaster kit that gives advantage in stealth that I'm aware of, unless I overlooked something.

Specter
2018-09-27, 04:18 PM
If your DM waives the multiclassing requirements 13 in STR, DEX, WIS and CHA) and gives your pet more HP, yes.
Otherwise, no.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 04:30 PM
You shouldn't have advantage as ranger. There is nothing in the beastmaster kit that gives advantage in stealth that I'm aware of, unless I overlooked something.

Homebrewed a bit.

sophontteks
2018-09-27, 04:51 PM
Homebrewed a bit.
All the homebrew we don't know of makes it hard to answer your question.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-27, 08:06 PM
All the homebrew we don't know of makes it hard to answer your question.

Will get back with more info tomorrow.

Angelalex242
2018-09-28, 11:34 AM
I understand.

I rushed into the game when we started.

Did not even have the book yet.

When I level up that is where I concentrate my points.

Learning as I am going.

A kinder DM would've pointed out you're statted terribly and fixed it for you.

Aggie The Great
2018-09-29, 08:40 AM
A kinder DM would've pointed out you're statted terribly and fixed it for you.

I didn't mind. Felt stupid once I had the handbook.