PDA

View Full Version : Thundering Voice (Spell)

AKA_Bait
2007-09-16, 01:52 PM
I don't know if there is a spell that does this already, but if there is I can't seem to locate it. I'm wondering if this is balanced for it's level. I'm having trouble figuring that out since the only spell that does something similar is Amplify.Advice Please!

Our hands itched towards the swords at our sides in anticipation of the battle to come. We had gathered outside our tents in the rosy morning and all we could see was a small figure, it's golden armor glittering in the newly risen sun on a far off rise. The figure raised its sword and suddenly, a booming voice could be heard coming from where our leader stood upon the hill.

"Friends, today we free the Five Kingdoms."

Thundering Voice
Transmutation (Sonic)
Level: Bard 4, Beguiler 5, Sorc/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, F,
Casting Time: One Round
Range: 1 Mile / 2 Levels
Target: One Creature Touched
Duration: 1 min / 2 levels
Saving Throw: Will Negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

At its discretion the subject creature's voice is amplified such that it can be heard by all creatures capable of normal hearing in a radius emanation of one mile for every two caster levels. For example, when under the effect of this spell a Bard might give a commanding speech heard far and wide but also be able to make a comment to its comrades that could only be heard within normal range.

Spells or effects that would normally dampen or prohibit sound (such as Silence) are not canceled, suppressed or dispelled. Spells, Spell like abilities and supernatural abilities do not have their range of effect increased by this spell. However, skill checks involving sound or speech such as Perform: Oratory or Bluff may be used to reach all creatures within the in the area. For example, a Bard might be able to perform to an audience of thousands but could not use its Inspire Courage ability on them all.

Thundering Voice can be made permanent on yourself or another with a Permanency spell. The minimum caster level for doing so is 13th and it costs 2,500 exp.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-16, 03:28 PM
Umm... Why not use Ghost Sound? Multiple Times.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-16, 03:39 PM
Ghost sound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghostsound.htm) has a range of close. This goes for MILES. Enough to make an entire army hear you. You would need literally hundreds of ghost sounds to mimic this effect.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-16, 11:26 PM
Despite that, I don't think it's worth being so high level. I'd move it down to Bard 4, Sor/Wiz 5 myself. Also, it needs the [Sonic] descriptor.

AKA_Bait
2007-09-17, 07:15 AM
Despite that, I don't think it's worth being so high level. I'd move it down to Bard 4, Sor/Wiz 5 myself. Also, it needs the [Sonic] descriptor.

I've lowered the level. The main reason I had it so high is because there is the potential in there of someone with a good bluff/diplomacy to disband or halt an oncoming army with this spell.

Oh, and thanks for looking at it Fax.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 10:58 AM
I've lowered the level. The main reason I had it so high is because there is the potential in there of someone with a good bluff/diplomacy to disband or halt an oncoming army with this spell.
Despite that, it's still only something who's superhuman (and not ultrasuperhuman, like Wiz 15s are) would do and be impressive.

Oh, and thanks for looking at it Fax.
No problem. A question, though: could one permanency this?

AKA_Bait
2007-09-18, 11:19 AM
Despite that, it's still only something who's superhuman (and not ultrasuperhuman, like Wiz 15s are) would do and be impressive.

True enough. I was only really concerned about it because I wanted to emulate this effect with a Miracle spell in a game I have a PC in and the DM ruled that it would take the 5k exp cost version of the spell to do so.

No problem. A question, though: could one permanency this?

Seems reasonable enough. I'll add that in. I'm going to base the min caster level and xp cost on Telepathic Bond, since that's also 5th level sorc/wiz.