PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Cursed Items Source?

Jthw
2018-09-25, 07:46 PM
I can't find any information on how a cursed item would be created. Are cursed items only created on purpose? Does it vary from item to item? Would it be reasonable to have it be a certain % chance on creating a custom magic item, that it gets a (semi)random curse?

Any and all input would be helpful.

Telonius
2018-09-25, 08:44 PM
I can't find any information on how a cursed item would be created. Are cursed items only created on purpose? Does it vary from item to item? Would it be reasonable to have it be a certain % chance on creating a custom magic item, that it gets a (semi)random curse?

Any and all input would be helpful.

Here's the link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm) from the SRD.

Relevant quote:

Specific Cursed Items are provided as examples of cursed items. They are given creation prerequisites, should someone want to intentionally create them (although that does not need to be the origin of the item). Note, however, two exceptions: The crystal hypnosis ball and the bag of devouring cannot be created by any known means.

The DMG lists a bit more information on page 214 and 272; randomly-generated items (of the sort you'd find in loot) are supposed to be cursed 5% of the time, due to being made improperly or corrupted somehow.

Rijan_Sai
2018-09-26, 10:16 AM
The DMG lists a bit more information on page 214 and 272; randomly-generated items (of the sort you'd find in loot) are supposed to be cursed 5% of the time, due to being made improperly or corrupted somehow.

So basically, if you really want to screw over your item crafters, you can introduce this random mechanic into the item creation: each time you craft a magic item, roll a d20; a roll of 1 gets a random curse effect.

Personally, if I used cursed items at all it would remain strictly the realm of random dungeon loot (and possibly players intentionally crafting a curse into the item... within reason.)

Goaty14
2018-09-26, 10:32 AM
Isn't there some feat that increases he cursed chance to 50%?

Telonius
2018-09-26, 11:37 AM
Isn't there some feat that increases he cursed chance to 50%?

There's a feat from Dragon 318 called "Blood Artisan." Any magic weapon, armor, or wondrous item you create is always cursed, but you only pay 75% of the usual gp cost.

Jack_Simth
2018-09-26, 08:54 PM
I always viewed most of the items on the drawbacks / limitations table as security features, and most of the outright cursed items as traps ("gifts" for your enemies, or poisoned loot for those who manage to get through any other relevant defenses).

You arrange for a third party to delivery a Necklace of Fireballs to an enemy ... cursed so that it detonates on the user (reversed target - and will often include all of it's component parts in that first use, too, due to the basic reason it's sometimes called The Necklace of Fiery Decapitation).
You give Yolanda a Ring of Protection a Name requirement of Yolanda (folks stealing it have a problem).
You give a Composite Longbow that only works for Elves to an elf heading off to fight orcs (the orcs can't loot it very effectively).
The church gives a sword that only works in the hands of someone of a particular alignment to a soldier of that alignment.
... and so on.

You potentially merge several of these - you give the CG Female Elf Yolanda a +1 Ghost Touch Greater Fortification Mithral Chain Shirt with a Name requirement (Yolanda) that sets the target's gender to Female, changes the target's race to Elf, and sets the users alignment to CG: Yolanda doesn't notice (not one single thing changes for her), but when Korath the male LE Half-Orc Rogue steals it and puts it on... well....

However: Items commonly outlive their purpose. Yolanda (whether the original or the ex half-orc) gets killed in a war. A goblin (who's too small to use the armor) takes it home because it's shiny. And the Mithral Chain Shirt ends up in a pile with other shiny things. A later adventurer kills the goblin and takes the hoard of shiny things....

Edit: Huh. It's actually an explicit rule in pathfinder that you can deliberately create cursed items (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/cursed-items/#TOC-Intentionally-Crafting-Cursed-Items), and get a discount for it. "The cost of dependent items, which function only in certain situations, is reduced by 30%." When making items for your party, that one has some gems:
"Within 10 feet of an arcane spellcaster"
"Within 10 feet of a divine spellcaster"
"In the hands of a nonspellcaster"
"In the hands of a spellcaster"
Those last two especially. If you're making a Headband of Mental Superiority (or any other bit of always worn equipment, really)... why WOULDN'T you snag the 30% discount to tailor it for the person it's intended for that way? "No reason to ever NOT take the option" is one of the more useful definitions of a broken (too good) option....

Vaern
2018-09-27, 04:40 AM
Some of the drawbacks listed, like the temperature being 10° warmer or cooler around the item, are things that you might consider tossing on an item like a +1 flaming or frost weapon just for flavor anyway.

noob
2018-09-27, 06:05 AM
Also some cursed items are so powerful when used right that it makes sense to make them for using them.
Such as the dust of encounter victory(called dust of sneezing and choking) which is really great if you know how it works.
Or the -2 sword which is really great for iajustsu abuse.

Jack_Simth
2018-09-27, 06:47 AM
Some of the drawbacks listed, like the temperature being 10° warmer or cooler around the item, are things that you might consider tossing on an item like a +1 flaming or frost weapon just for flavor anyway.

The "Drawbacks and Requirements" subsection of deliberately cursed items in Pathfinder (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/cursed-items/#TOC-Intentionally-Crafting-Cursed-Items) goes:

Drawbacks and Requirements: Cost isn’t reduced for cosmetic drawbacks or requirements with no direct game effects. Cost may be reduced by 10% for minor drawbacks or requirements such as minimum skill ranks or worship of a specific deity; by 30% for harmful or costly drawbacks or requirements such as alignment change, ability damage, sacrificing wealth, or performing a quest to activate the item; or by 50% for severe drawbacks or requirements such as negative levels or sacrificing sentient creatures.(Emphasis added)

10 degrees warmer or cooler... usually won't matter. The "safe" range is... 40-90 F. That shifts it a little (30-80 or 50-100), but will not normally have much effect (it's been a rather long time since I had a DM bust out the environmental temperature rules). I suppose it does technically have a game effect, so is probably worth the 10%.

Vaern
2018-09-27, 12:04 PM
I overlooked the bit about cosmetic changes not adjusting the cost. I also don't know if "temperature around the item" would have an actual impact on the wielder.
Likely, one would say that the item feels unconfortably warm or cold in the hand, but it may not be such a large or powerful emanation to have a real mechanical effect.
I do find it odd, though, that adding a purely cosmetic effect to an item for the sake of flavor should require Bestow Curse to create.

Troacctid
2018-09-27, 12:17 PM
There are some effects like the Frozen Magic feat chain that care about the temperature, so lowering it by 10 degrees can actually be a very real benefit in certain cases.

Goaty14
2018-09-27, 12:41 PM
There's a feat from Dragon 318 called "Blood Artisan." Any magic weapon, armor, or wondrous item you create is always cursed, but you only pay 75% of the usual gp cost.

Oops, I was thinking of Demon Mastery and Extract Demonic Essence (FC I), increasing the chance by 10%