PDA

View Full Version : Animating body parts?

SangoProduction
2018-09-25, 09:05 PM
So, I hear that Animate Dead only works with mostly intact corpse. Not sure if that's true. But still. I wanted to animate the head of a basilisk on a pike. So, is there a way to animate body parts?

Jack_Simth
2018-09-25, 09:09 PM
Is keeping the gaze a requirement? Skull Watch (Spell Compendium page 191) doesn't work for your purposes - it requires a Humanoid (or monstrous humanoid) skull. Also doesn't give any particular abilities - it's mostly just a reusable alarm spell.

JeminiZero
2018-09-25, 09:10 PM
Animate Objects (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateObjects.htm) can make it move if that's all you need.

Thurbane
2018-09-25, 09:13 PM
Animate dead does specify "intact corpses" for both skeletons and zombies.

There are a few undead that are only body parts (Deathshead etc.); while there aren't any specific rules for this that I know of, maybe check with the DM if Create (Greater) Undead might do the job. It would likely require home-brewing to make it work.

SangoProduction
2018-09-25, 09:14 PM
Is keeping the gaze a requirement?

Kinda, yes. lol.

Jack_Simth
2018-09-25, 09:20 PM
Kinda, yes. lol.

Hmm... if you can find a half-dragon basilisk that meets a very long list of requirements, you could make it into a dracolich, and from there into a demilich. However... you probably aren't up to producing the epic evil spellcaster...

SangoProduction
2018-09-25, 09:38 PM
Well, nevermind, before the end of the session, the necromancer took the basilisk zombie in to the room that I was scouting. And it got That Damn Crab'd. Even though I told him to keep it safe until we need it. I should have just taken the eyes myself. lol.