PDA

View Full Version : Analysis How did Goblin Dan remember?

Flame of Anor
2018-09-25, 11:53 PM
He's serving Hydra-Burgers in 705 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html), but how did he leave Sunken Valley without losing his memory of the hydra and its uniquely exploitable state?

pendejochy
2018-09-25, 11:56 PM
Maybe he used the riches he earned to visit the Oracle and ask how his business started.

woweedd
2018-09-26, 12:37 AM
Did he leave the Valley? I got the impression he just set up nearby.

Phhase
2018-09-26, 01:01 AM
Simple. The hydra was close enough to the edge of the enchantment that it was still visible from outside. Either that, or he just dragged it out (though that might've taken a while).

The Pilgrim
2018-09-26, 01:09 AM
Given how heavy an over-headed adult hydra is, G. Dan lacks the strength to carry it around. He started his business inside the Valley and then moved to Gobbtopia when he had made enough profit to afford a teleportation orb, circumventing the Memory Charm like Roy did when he was dismissed by the Oracle.

Mordaedil
2018-09-26, 01:27 AM
Doesn't seem like a big mystery to me, he dragged the hydra out of the valley, got hit with the Memory loss charm, saw the hydra body and came to the same idea he did while he had his memory intact and continued dragging the body.

factotum
2018-09-26, 02:17 AM
He started his business inside the Valley

Problem there is, how do you grow a business where all your clientele forget what they've had or where they had it? :smalltongue:

woweedd
2018-09-26, 02:33 AM
Problem there is, how do you grow a business where all your clientele forget what they've had or where they had it? :smalltongue:
Oh, gee, if only there was another successful business nearby that people go to regularly and has some means of nullifying that OH WAIT.

Quebbster
2018-09-26, 02:37 AM
All the kobolds in Lickmyorangeballshalfling (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0568.html) have to eat something. The just moved there last week, but there's just enough of them to need a lot of food.

The_Weirdo
2018-09-26, 03:01 AM
The Oracle predicted he'd get something for it (such as a new restaurant or a cut of the profits) and altered the memory charm so that it included the restaurant idea and the restaurant itself (for the customers) in the exception list.

The Pilgrim
2018-09-26, 03:04 AM

I know a lot of dinning business that would PAY for something like that, so customers would keep flowing in attracted by the publicity and novelity then forgot that the local was a den, the service was foul and the food was filth.

The_Weirdo
2018-09-26, 03:16 AM
I know a lot of dinning business that would PAY for something like that, so customers would keep flowing in attracted by the publicity and novelity then forgot that the local was a den, the service was foul and the food was filth.

I don't think that's the case there, the customers look pretty satisfied and Goblin Dan seems like an honest, professional businessman businessgoblin.

Synesthesy
2018-09-26, 06:40 AM
I say that the memory charm works only if you are going to see the oracle, and not if you step there by accident.

MReav
2018-09-26, 06:46 AM
"Mr. Oracle, what use is an unconscious hydra?"

"All you can eat buffet."

Goblin_Priest
2018-09-26, 07:20 AM

Like any other tourist and airport-based business, I reckon. ;) You just snag all the travelers during their transit.

CJG
2018-09-26, 05:19 PM
Huh. Come to think of it, I guess that sequence proves that OotS are successful saving this world.

Flame of Anor
2018-09-26, 05:25 PM
The Oracle predicted he'd get something for it (such as a new restaurant or a cut of the profits) and altered the memory charm so that it included the restaurant idea and the restaurant itself (for the customers) in the exception list.

I kind of like this one.

Huh. Come to think of it, I guess that sequence proves that OotS are successful saving this world.

Elan's prophecy already proved that.

Toad
2018-09-26, 10:05 PM
Alternatively, maybe he didn't remember at all.

Goblin Dan: *sees unconscious hydra within barrier* I know, I can sell burgers made of its heads!

*drags hydra out of the barrier and forgets his idea*

Goblin Dan: *sees unconscious hydra outside of barrier* I know, I can sell burgers made of its heads!

Sloanzilla
2018-09-26, 11:55 PM
To Azure City!

Quebbster
2018-09-27, 03:22 AM

I do Believe the Giant at one Point said that was the whole Point of the Goblin Dan bit - to assure readers the World wasn't getting destroyed.
Of course, Elan is the only one who has been promised a happy ending.

snowblizz
2018-09-27, 03:48 AM
Of course, Elan is the only one who has been promised a happy ending.
And the Giant also said, if not explicitly strongly indicating, that Elan's happy ending is something the readers will be happy with in that for Elan happyness means it ends well for most persons he cares for, and by that extension we do.

Mike Havran
2018-09-27, 07:44 AM
It is possible that while the memory charm does affect the entire valley, it only gets triggered when target visits the Oracle or Lickmyorangeballshalfling.

Fyraltari
2018-09-27, 07:46 AM
It's also possible that the people who live in the Valley are aware of the charm and found ways around it (like teleportation or writing down stuff before leaving).

martianmister
2018-09-27, 07:00 PM
Does it even affect that place? In 332 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0332.html), charm is triggered after OotS take only few steps.

Celestia
2018-09-27, 07:05 PM
... writing down stuff before leaving).
That does seem like a significant flaw in the whole thing, especially since the Oracle straight up told everyone about the charm. I mean, if I was a player and heard that, you can bet your ass that I'd write down everything that happened there.

Flame of Anor
2018-09-28, 12:13 AM
Does it even affect that place? In 332 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0332.html), charm is triggered after OotS take only few steps.

It does affect the area where the trials take place, because at neither visit to the oracle does anyone remember their previous visit's trials.

The Pilgrim
2018-09-28, 12:50 AM
That does seem like a significant flaw in the whole thing, especially since the Oracle straight up told everyone about the charm. I mean, if I was a player and heard that, you can bet your ass that I'd write down everything that happened there.

Then the Oracle would not tell you about the Charm. He can see the future and knows if a client will write down the stuff or not.

Erys
2018-09-28, 01:11 AM
Goblin Dan was leaving the Oracle who asked, "how will can I get wealthy."

The answer was (something to the effect of), 'When you see the many heads, gold will come your way.'

So when he passed through the memory charm, he remembered the hydra, who was presumably the first test due to the name of that strip and therefore was at the edge of the valley/charm, and was able to go get a cart and boat load of horses to start his burger empire.

martianmister
2018-09-28, 02:41 AM
It does affect the area where the trials take place, because at neither visit to the oracle does anyone remember their previous visit's trials.

Can't it be a part of charm? The charm let them remember their prophecy, couldn't it also erase the tests even though these tests didn't happen in its radius?

Celestia
2018-09-28, 03:20 AM
Then the Oracle would not tell you about the Charm. He can see the future and knows if a client will write down the stuff or not.
He didn't bother looking to see if Roy would remember after being banished. He seems like the kinda guy who just doesn't really care so long as it doesn't end up inconveniencing him.

Fyraltari
2018-09-28, 04:32 AM

Maybe so, but Goblin Dan has decided to extend his Burgerpire further (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.htvml).

factotum
2018-09-28, 06:05 AM
He didn't bother looking to see if Roy would remember after being banished. He seems like the kinda guy who just doesn't really care so long as it doesn't end up inconveniencing him.

Or it's entirely possible that he *intended* for Roy to remember what he saw while he was a ghost--we're talking someone who paid enough attention to detail to found a village behind his house specifically in order to trigger Belkar's Mark of Justice, after all.

thereaper
2018-09-28, 11:51 AM
Goblin Dan rolled a natural 20 on his Will Save to resist the charm.

Flame of Anor
2018-09-29, 12:22 AM
Can't it be a part of charm? The charm let them remember their prophecy, couldn't it also erase the tests even though these tests didn't happen in its radius?

Seems like a Nale level of overcomplication. All we've heard indicates that the charm covers the area of Sunken Valley, neither more nor less.