PDA

View Full Version : Cast multiple spells simultaneously?

sorcererlover
2018-09-26, 05:15 AM
Is there a way to cast multiple spells simultaneously? I don't think so but considering how big 3.5 is I thought there might be.

Other than Rod of Many Wands or Simulacrum or Ice Assassin.

Mike Miller
2018-09-26, 05:29 AM
Quick Spell, Repeat Spell, Twin Spell

Be a Spell Weaver

There must be more

Rebel7284
2018-09-26, 05:33 AM
Spell Matrix can do exactly that. In addition, Quicken Spell and a bunch of items and abilities that replicate it allow for that. Also, Swift and immediate action spells. Contingency and Craft Contingent Spell also work. Spells and Powers that grant extra actions can do this as well (Celerity, Time Stop, Synchronicity, Schism.). Clearly Manyspell in Epic works.

Let us know why you are asking the question for a more specific answer.

sorcererlover
2018-09-26, 06:00 AM
Quick Spell, Repeat Spell, Twin Spell

Be a Spell Weaver

There must be more

What is quick spell?

Repeat Spell and Twin Spell! Why did I forget about these two! There a tons of ways to reduce metamagic!

Spell Matrix can do exactly that. In addition, Quicken Spell and a bunch of items and abilities that replicate it allow for that. Also, Swift and immediate action spells. Contingency and Craft Contingent Spell also work. Spells and Powers that grant extra actions can do this as well (Celerity, Time Stop, Synchronicity, Schism.). Clearly Manyspell in Epic works.

Let us know why you are asking the question for a more specific answer.

It's the same reason as my other thread: to cast Ambrosia or Liquid Pain faster. Since reducing casting time doesn't seem viable I'm trying a different approach.

My DM said I can use those spells as long as I don't use cheese.

Mordaedil
2018-09-26, 06:10 AM
He meant Quicken Spell. Sorcerers are normally unable to use that, but there's a few ways around it, from taking a feat that allows you to prepare spells, to taking Rapid Metamagic or casting Arcane Spellsurge (the recommended method, but it kicks in later than Rapid Metamagic) to taking the alternative class feature that replaces your familiar with the ability to use metamagic at no increase to casting time 3/day.

Lapak
2018-09-26, 07:43 AM
What is quick spell?

Repeat Spell and Twin Spell! Why did I forget about these two! There a tons of ways to reduce metamagic!

It's the same reason as my other thread: to cast Ambrosia or Liquid Pain faster. Since reducing casting time doesn't seem viable I'm trying a different approach.

My DM said I can use those spells as long as I don't use cheese."You can use them as long as you don't cheese them" and you immediately turned to the forum for ways to increase the returns on them?

Gonna be honest, I do not see this ending well.

Eldariel
2018-09-26, 08:49 AM
Changing your shape into anything that can take multiple actions such as Chronotyryn, Spell Weaver or even Choker ought to work (as long as you get those abilities).

Mike Miller
2018-09-26, 09:01 AM
Yes, quicken spell is what I meant. I am sure autocorrect got me again. The curse of the smart phone.

Troacctid
2018-09-26, 11:41 AM
Candle Caster can do those cool combo candles. Ocular Spell metamagic lets you fire two spells as eyebeams. And of course there's contingency (or Craft Contingent Spell).

RaiKirah
2018-09-26, 12:04 PM
If you have two heads you can (eventually) take Multivoice and cast two spells at once as a standard action

ben-zayb
2018-09-26, 08:22 PM
Sorcerers have native access to Arcane Fusion, which lets you cast a 4th and a 1st level spell with its 5th level slot. Its Greater version casts a 7th and a 3rd level spell with its 8th kevel slot

EDIT: Spells are both from Complete Mage

Yael
2018-09-26, 09:08 PM
Link Spell and Greater Link Spell from the WoW sourcebooks do this. And there's nothing stopping you from also Quickening there.

Blue Wizard
2018-09-26, 11:29 PM
We had a first-to-epic campaign where one of the other players, who had taken the feat Multivoice from Savage Species (which lets you cast one spell per head you have), polymorphed into a 17-headed hydra to cast 17 spells per round.

We won that fight.

Of course, the fun part about playing "ALL the cheese is allowed" games is that our opponents get to use any cheese that we do. The rest of that campaign was... somewhat difficult, I should say.

Saintheart
2018-09-26, 11:56 PM
Rune Magic, Forgotten Realms.

A rune is a spell cast as a rune. It's not a command-word, spell-trigger item or any of that nonsense. It is a fully-cast spell that is cast as a rune and remains ready to fire the moment you touch it. Once you cast the spell once, it sits happily in the rune awaiting you to touch it and set it off as (at worst) a standard action. The spell effect then applies immediately.

It is a magic item, true, which means you have gold (and potentially XP, but only if the spell requires it) costs attaching to making it, but the main thing about it is this:

If you make a multiple-charge rune, or a permanent rune, you don't have to take a day of casting for each iteration of the spell that the rune can fire off.

You cast it once.

Thus, on a permanent rune, cast the spell to create the rune, then tap it as many times you want to cast the spell, and it'll only cost you standard actions each time. If your DM whinges about how this is a variety of cheese, point out that it's costing you tens of thousands of gold to get this effect. For a Distilled Joy spell, the price of a permanent rune is spell level x CL x 2,000, i.e. 3 x 5 x 2,000 = 30,000 gp ... but given you've now got a magic rock you can tap any time you want to obtain 2 XP, it's well worth it.

It has a market price. It takes a Cleric/Runecaster with the Joy domain (or a Domain Draught of Joy domain) to make it, but this is not a major or even minor artifact, this is straightforward stuff.

Mordaedil
2018-09-27, 01:27 AM
We had a first-to-epic campaign where one of the other players, who had taken the feat Multivoice from Savage Species (which lets you cast one spell per head you have), polymorphed into a 17-headed hydra to cast 17 spells per round.

We won that fight.

Of course, the fun part about playing "ALL the cheese is allowed" games is that our opponents get to use any cheese that we do. The rest of that campaign was... somewhat difficult, I should say.

Looking up that feat, it does not do what is described here. It just allows one extra spell. Not per head.

sorcererlover
2018-09-27, 03:27 AM
"You can use them as long as you don't cheese them" and you immediately turned to the forum for ways to increase the returns on them?

Gonna be honest, I do not see this ending well.

3xp is way to low to be even usable. Twinned and Repeat to boost it to 12xp a day is still way too low to be even usable.

On the other hand all day standard action casting from Rune magic is too much so it's unacceptable.

Miracle for standard action casting is usable since it's limited to x times a day.

The DM said acquiring about 1000xp a month is acceptable.

Saintheart
2018-09-27, 04:00 AM
3xp is way to low to be even usable. Twinned and Repeat to boost it to 12xp a day is still way too low to be even usable.

On the other hand all day standard action casting from Rune magic is too much so it's unacceptable.

Miracle for standard action casting is usable since it's limited to x times a day.

The DM said acquiring about 1000xp a month is acceptable.

Well, if it comes down to uses per day, rune magic can do that too - at a cost multiplier of 400 gp rather than 2,000 gp. Same formula. Want more? Build two or more per-day runes of the same thing.

Ruethgar
2018-09-27, 04:01 AM
Did your DM rule on the function of their permanent effects? Will you just get a dose from a target every time they experience Symbol of Pain with the Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Pleasure, or is it one per casting?

sorcererlover
2018-09-27, 04:27 AM
Did your DM rule on the function of their permanent effects? Will you just get a dose from a target every time they experience Symbol of Pain with the Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Pleasure, or is it one per casting?

If you look at BoVD it tells you how these spells function.

You extract the pain or joy the moment you start casting this spell and it takes 24 hours to turn this pain or joy into ambrosia or liquid pain.

People who believe that you excrete ambrosia or liquid pain every single time you experience joy or pain is incorrect.

Ruethgar
2018-09-27, 04:30 AM
So what happened when it is dispelled? Do the doses magically vanish along with anything made by them since they are effects of the spells?

sorcererlover
2018-09-27, 05:21 AM
So what happened when it is dispelled? Do the doses magically vanish along with anything made by them since they are effects of the spells?

Yes, just like any item created by Minor or Major Creation, they will disappear when hit with a Dispel Magic.

Ruethgar
2018-09-27, 06:17 AM
No, I mean the people. Cast Joy and Pain on Commoner A. You just Permanently enchanted Commoner A with Joy and Pain. You leave to use your 6xp and someone Disjoins Commoner A, removing the Permanent effect that allowed the Agony and Ambrosia to exist. What happens to the agony and ambrosia? They technically should also cease to exist since the non-instantaneous magic that made them is gone.

sorcererlover
2018-09-27, 06:22 AM
No, I mean the people. Cast Joy and Pain on Commoner A. You just Permanently enchanted Commoner A with Joy and Pain. You leave to use your 6xp and someone Disjoins Commoner A, removing the Permanent effect that allowed the Agony and Ambrosia to exist. What happens to the agony and ambrosia? They technically should also cease to exist since the non-instantaneous magic that made them is gone.

You're not enchanting anyone.

If a commoner feels happy, you inject a magical syringe into their head and extract their happy feelings. This is the end of your interaction with the commoner.
You then spend 24 hours turning that extracted happy feelings into ambrosia.
There is no ongoing permanent duration on the commoner. The permanent duration is the ambrosia item.

Telonius
2018-09-27, 09:38 PM
This is horribly stinky cheese, but if you can manage to qualify as a Beholder, go for the Beholder Mage prestige class. (Note: do not try this in an actual campaign unless you're going for seriously overpowered craziness).

ericgrau
2018-09-28, 07:38 PM
Epic has multispell to cast as many spells as epic feats you put into it.