PDA

View Full Version : Monk/lock leveling question

Vaklor4
2018-09-26, 06:40 AM
Im at a pretty critical junction atm. I am at 5/1 Monk/Warlock, and im wondering which I should rush for ASI. Should I go to 8/1 for shadowstep, more ki and evasion, or 5/4 for more spells, an evocation and a pact boon?

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 06:49 AM
I would at least pick up 1 more warlock level before anything else. At level 2 you get an additional spell slot, an additional spell known, and 2 invocations. It is hard to go wrong with that.

However, that still depends on your needs as a character. What are you stats? Does an ASI seem like it would be very handy? Are you adventuring where shadowstep would be valuable?

Vaklor4
2018-09-26, 07:35 AM
The adventure is 99% of the time either in open farmland or in a massive city ruin. But mostly in the ruins where there is loads of shade. Also, an ASI would be SUPER handy considering I have a 2+ dex and +2 Cha. Getting one to 3 would help immensely.

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 07:37 AM
The adventure is 99% of the time either in open farmland or in a massive city ruin. But mostly in the ruins where there is loads of shade. Also, an ASI would be SUPER handy considering I have a 2+ dex and +2 Cha. Getting one to 3 would help immensely.

What are your actual stats that we are working with? Because that makes a difference.

Vaklor4
2018-09-26, 08:17 AM
14 str, 15 dex, 14 con, 6 int, 17 wis, 15 Cha. Very solid, but nothing super minmaxish.

Keravath
2018-09-26, 08:30 AM
You could use an ASI to bump dex and wis by 1 each which would give you a +2 to AC which might come in handy.

As mentioned warlock 2 has some useful features - invocations and another spell slot. What is your warlock patron? Are you dipping warlock for a mechanics reason or for roleplaying? (i.e. what do you want to get from additional levels of warlock that contribute to your character concept?)

Depending on what you want to get from the warlock side I would lean towards 8/1 or 5/2 -> 8/2 monk/warlock. The bonus action shadow step is good but it will compete with your martial arts, flurry of blows, other ki uses (disengage/dodge), and hex.

Vaklor4
2018-09-26, 08:53 AM
Im going Undying, and the leveling (and patron) are for both mechanics and RP. Im essentially playing a Firbolg version of The Undertaker.

nickl_2000
2018-09-26, 08:56 AM
So you are 3 levels away from an ASI either way, that's a long time. I would take the thing that will give you the most right now (I wish you wisdom and Dex were switched since Armor of Shadows would boost your AC all on it's own, but alas...).

I would go level 2 Warlock and pick up Fiendish Vigor (1d4+4 temp HP at will, lasts an hour, no concentration), and whatever else seems fitting. This will end up going a long way towards how well you can live in combat. Then you pick up level 6,7,8 in monk to end up 8/2 at level 10. This nets you a lot of extra HP, evasion, and a guaranteed magical weapon.

Do you have a pact that seems good to you?

CTurbo
2018-09-26, 09:40 AM
Absolutely take +1 Dex and Wis next chance you get. You took Mobile at Monk 4 right? I would take 3 more levels of Monk to get that ASAP, then another Warlock level or 2

tieren
2018-09-26, 09:49 AM
I would shoot for monk 8/ warlock 4 by 12th level. third level warlock will get you shadow blade (which is a monk weapon check it out).

From where you are, you are 3 levels from the ASI either way, personally I would go for the warlock levels first, get another pact slot, get 2nd level spells, get some invocations and the boon.

Going to 8 in monk first gets you 3 more ki, evasion, and shadow step.

Vaklor4
2018-09-26, 10:57 AM
So you are 3 levels away from an ASI either way, that's a long time. I would take the thing that will give you the most right now (I wish you wisdom and Dex were switched since Armor of Shadows would boost your AC all on it's own, but alas...).

I would go level 2 Warlock and pick up Fiendish Vigor (1d4+4 temp HP at will, lasts an hour, no concentration), and whatever else seems fitting. This will end up going a long way towards how well you can live in combat. Then you pick up level 6,7,8 in monk to end up 8/2 at level 10. This nets you a lot of extra HP, evasion, and a guaranteed magical weapon.

Do you have a pact that seems good to you?

It for sure isnt the best for in combat, but the ability to always be able to stabilize a downed ally is nice, and the ability to just yeet undead is hilarious in certain situations.