PDA

View Full Version : Spell Selection

Ruethgar
2018-09-26, 11:12 AM
Making a character for a 3.P E6 game. Mostly PF chassis with 3.5 allowed. He’s using SoP to gain access to spells. They can technically be from any list, but Sorc/Wiz are what I want to focus on. These should be mostly thematic or usefull and fluffable.

The main focus is magic manipulation and raw magic power. Has Spellfire for big guns every now and then, is made of living magic(Fax Celestius Awakened Dancing Lights), has shielding, light, magic draining, and some healing that it more to supplement his blood magic(basically burns some of his own essence to use magic). Can also make basically scrolls in the shape of crystals.

Some spells I was thinking of:
Dancing Lights, Faerie Fire, Alter Self(if I can do Living Fetch, otherwise Disguise Self I guess), Dispell Magic

Having trouble thinking of other spells, I could just go straight fire and fluff it blue and shove Searing in there, calling it raw Spellfire, but I was less wanting blasty and more wanting thematic utility or CC spells that would be sort of must have.

Kayblis
2018-09-26, 03:50 PM
What level are we talking about?

Must-haves for BC: Grease, Obscuring Mist, Web, Wall spells, Summons, Black Tentacles and Teleports.
---Walls include Wall of Chains at 3rd level for cheap blockades. Wall of Sand/Water can be useful sometimes.
---Teleports start at 1st level with Benign Transposition(switch two allies), then Baleful Transposition and Dimension Hop at 2nd, and others from Spell Compendium all the way to Dimension Shuffle at 5th(complete battleground rewrite, play chess moving all pieces from both sides at once).
---Summons can work without investment, but a feat on Augment Summoning gives a big buff to your creatures.

Have these and you'll do a good job at battlefield control. Everything else is gravy.

Ruethgar
2018-09-26, 04:27 PM
As stated in the OP and tags, it is for E6. I could stretch him to get 4ths, but I don’t want the banhammer so 3rd max.

Obscuring Mist and Web can be thematically fluffed well enough(web I’m imagining the Fortnite rifts spread through an area grasping and binding, obscuring mist could be any number of magical particle effects from pick a game).

However, I can’t really picture Grease or fitting summons to his character. The summons themselves could be appropriate for him with fluffed elementals or living spells, but it seems off for him.

He can already do minor teleports and non-instantaneous walls and barriers with SoP.

Edit: Went with Arcane Sight, Read Magic, Web, Obscuring Mist, Gaseous Form, Arcane Eye, Fabricate, Wall of Stone(Crystal), Dispell Magic.

While he already effectively has Fabricate and Wall of Crystal, they were costing a lot to do. This cheapens them allowing multiple uses per day with ease. Dispell and Read Magic are obvious. Narratively, he has Arcane Sight up 100% of the time but is otherwise blind, mechanically not so much but obviously wanted him to have it. Arcane Eye is just neat and I didn’t want to go full on Clairvoyance or other divination for scouting that would make the GM have to one up me. Gaseous Form seemed fitting, him basically unraveling his energies and slipping through small spaces, also quite useful. Web and Obscuring Mist aren’t great thematically, but as mentioned quite powerful CC and can be fluffed well enough. Disguise and Alter Self, DM let the technicality slide that Living Spells aren’t templated creatures just templated spells so I can shift into a Fetch to look “normal” for town.

Ruethgar
2018-10-03, 04:59 PM
Any final comments before I leave this thread to die? Damnit, forgot Fly, needs to be added to the list.

unseenmage
2018-10-03, 08:28 PM
Had a very similar idea and made a very similar thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?566090-3-P-What-Spells-From-3-x-Would-You-Want-a-PF-Wizard-to-Know) fairly recently. Though my focus was more on spells fro. 3.x that I don't necessarily have access to in PF.

Sadly my list is definitely not E6 but there're a few gems down there at the lower levels.

Ruethgar
2018-10-04, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Glorytongue frees up about 4 reach boosting feats post lvl 6 feats(this game’s limited to 20). Also, Focus Stone made me bend over backwards to get the CL for it. Have Attune Gem anyway, and casting Focus Stone burns most of my spell points, but it fits so well.

unseenmage
2018-10-04, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Glorytongue frees up about 4 reach boosting feats post lvl 6 feats(this game’s limited to 20). Also, Focus Stone made me bend over backwards to get the CL for it. Have Attune Gem anyway, and casting Focus Stone burns most of my spell points, but it fits so well.

Glad to be of assistance.

Feel free to drop by my thread if you find any more quirky 3.x artefacts.
My doppelmimic will behind a few CL for a while so more lower spell level options are always welcome.