PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Suggestions for new character - summoner?

eversilentone
2018-09-26, 12:03 PM
Due to a series of unlucky rolls, my Bard/Warblade died last game. I'm going to have a new character introduced in the party in the next couple of weeks but need to work with the DM to fit that into the narrative. So I have a few story restrictions (below). I've also been told not to exceed the power level of the other players who are:

* A trip Barbarian
* A blaster Sorcerer (empowered Fireball spam) - this is the real balancing point

I'd really love to play a summoner and have been dying to play a Malconvoker but I can't see it as being on par with the Sorcerer (i.e. too strong) however I build it. Likewise I thought to have a Binder with Zceryll but that felt even worse because of the out of combat opportunities (not to mention potential for roleplaying challenges).

I'd really appreciate some suggestions as ideally I'd still have a summoner vibe (or scaled back, a pet if needs be). I'd like to be primarily a caster if possible. I think Tier 1 classes are just out of the equation but even Tier 2 might be a bit strong.

The Sources Available - Core books, the Complete series, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Dragon Magic, the Races of series. 3.0, campaign specific and Dragon Magiazine material subject to DM approval (so obscure is fine so long as it's within the power level)

Creative Factors

Starting at level 10
Can't be overtly evil (Barbarian is very honour-based), but can be "less than good" so long as it's Bluff-able
Must have a link to dragons (core campaign theme) - can be either in the mechanics or I might be able to be creative with backstory
No equipment/magic items - we're falling back on the "rescue of a tortured prisoner" trope
Must be the eventual party Face - ideally through Bluff but can sprinkle in Diplomacy/Intimidate for situational use

That's the start - any suggestions gratefully received as I'd love to stick to the theme if at all possible but really don't want to overshadow my fellow party members. Likewise the irl dynamic means I really don't want there to be any in-party open conflict so Bluffing to justify stuff is fine, but Intimidating into success isn't.