PDA

View Full Version : Need a weapon design system, if one exists

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-09-16, 03:56 PM
Hi, I'm currently planning to run a futuristic game, and firearms are going to feature heavily. I've been working with a system of rules called D20 Firearm Mechanics, by Kenneth Hood. This is fairly detailed, but not quite what I'm after- I need a system to create weapons that goes beyond +1 to hit and +2 damage- I need a system where each piece of the gun has it's own effects on the whole. I got the idea when I was looking at a preview for Borderlands, a new game by Gearbox- and I saw a picture of a shotgun. Not just a shotgun, but also little arrows pointing to each component and explaining the effect each piece has.

Does such a system exist, or am I going to have to make it myself?

Kurald Galain
2007-09-16, 05:12 PM
In my opinion, d20 doesn't do futuristic all that well. I'd recommend TORG or GURPS UltraTech.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-09-16, 06:30 PM
Well, if you want a gun to consist of more or less 8 different parts, each can switch out with something else, they each give different effects, and some work extra well together, you'll have to make that up! :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2007-09-17, 02:22 AM
you'll have to make that up! :smalltongue:

Or play Star Munchkin :smallbiggrin:

Aerlock
2007-09-17, 11:36 AM
From what I recall the Shadowrun Cannon Companion had a pretty detailed and flexible weapon customization/build system in it. I don't know how well that would translate over to D20 Modern but it might be something worth taking a look at.

Aerlock

blue_fenix
2007-09-17, 11:44 AM
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, 1 and 2, had a system sorta like this. There were various types of both melee and ranged weapons which, if high quality enough (the equivalent of masterwork) could be upgraded with various components. Melee weapons could swap out blade, grip, and power cell. Blasters had scope, lens, and power cell. In KOTOR 2, lightsabers actually had 6 slots - color crystal, special crystal x2, power cell, lens, and emitter, I think.

Effects you could gain included bonuses to attack or to damage, bonus to accuracy, extra dice of different types of damage, bonuses against specific enemies, defense bonus, stunning, and even trade offs such as a minus to defense with a bonus to attack.