PDA

View Full Version : The Immortal Iron Fist

MThurston
2018-09-26, 01:22 PM
Ok my idea from reading some things here is to try to create an Iron Fist character.

I have a few ways of doing this.

1. Monk/Paladin
2. Straight Paladin w/ Tavern feat
3. Fighter Brute / Paladin w/ Tavern feat

With needing 13 Str and 13 Cha, it's not easy doing it with Monk with standard array.

Str 13, Con 10, Dex 15, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 12

Variant Human Add 1 to Cha and Dex.

With Fighter/Paladin I would get two fighting styles. I'd take +1 A.C. while wearing armor and the +2 damage while only having one melee weapon and no other in the opposite hand. ( I believe the unarmed attack is considered a melee attack for the purpose of the +2 damage. ) 1d4+1d4 +2 + Stat damage. Not bad at all. Add in smite.

Any suggestions on either build or some other idea?

Naanomi
2018-09-26, 01:33 PM
I mean... mechanically... pure monk? His ‘iron fist’ is the open palm techniques...

Conceptually? Monk/Warlock (that dragon clearly made a Pact with him)

MThurston
2018-09-26, 01:37 PM
I mean... mechanically... pure monk? His ‘iron fist’ is the open palm techniques...

Conceptually? Monk/Warlock (that dragon clearly made a Pact with him)

That is a perfect look at it but you can't do any extra damage with the punch without smite.

Naanomi
2018-09-26, 01:41 PM
That is a perfect look at it but you can't do any extra damage with the punch without smite.
Being a monk already does that...

strangebloke
2018-09-26, 01:46 PM
Open Hand, it's what the subclass is made for.

If you want to make the fist more flashy, you're correct to think that two levels of paladin is about right. Open Hand Monk 5/Paladin 2. Maybe go devotion paladin 3 to get CHA to attack rolls to simulate having the fist active for a longer period. Or just use divine favor for the same effect.

(1d8+1d4+4)*2 + (1d6+1d4+4)*2 = 42 damage per round by level 7. (Hope that your DM isn't obsessive about what constitutes a 'weapon attack')

Then, if you want to use the fist's full power you can punch for (1d6+1d4+2d8+4) = 19 damage in a single hit.

Depending on which Fist you're talking about (and if you're going off the show.) you might have a kensei or a monk with a few fighter levels or a shadow monk.

With reference to your post specifically: Defense requires armor, which you can't really wear and isn't something Iron Fist wears either. What you want is the UA fighting style, the Mariner fighting style. Dueling requires a weapon, and only works for you if you're not two-handing your quarterstaff. (in which case, its only a +1 to damage)

the only fighting styles that offer you anything worthwhile are mariner and archery (if you're a kensei)

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-26, 01:46 PM
Unless your DM allows UA mariner style, no AC bonus for you!

edit- unless you want to do only 1 damage with your unarmed attacks and get extra martial arts attacks only when you flurry, and move only as fast as the next guy.

iTreeby
2018-09-26, 02:12 PM
So iron fist can also remove poison. That's another good reason for some paladine levels for lay on hands in addition to smiting.

clash
2018-09-26, 02:22 PM
If your dm allows Kensei to take unarmed strike as a kensei weapon then you can get smiting lite with just monk.

Zonugal
2018-09-26, 02:53 PM
This is an old build I did for the Iron Fist.

Iron Fist

“I am the Iron Fist. I hold back the storm when nothing else can.”

Danny Rand
‘Variant’ Human Monk 2/’Draconic’ Sorcerer 8 with the Noble background
Medium humanoid (human), Chaotic Good
Armor class 17 (Draconic Resilience & a Cloak of Protection)
Hit points 65 (2d8+4/8d6+16)
Speed 40 ft.
---
Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 16
---
Saving Throws Strength +5 and Dexterity +8
Skills Acrobatics +7, Artisan’s Tools (Carpenter’s Tools) +4, Gaming Set (Go) +4, History +3, Perception +6, Persuasion +7, and Stealth +7
Feats War Caster
Senses passive Perception 16
Languages Celestial, Common, Draconic, and Elven
Challenge 10
---
Special Abilities
Racial Abilities: --
Background Abilities: Position of Privilege
Class Abilities: Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts, Ki (2/rest; Ki DC 14), Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, Step of the Wind, Unarmored Movement, Sorcerous Origin (Draconic), Font of Magic, Sorcery Points (8), Flexible Casting, and Metamagic (Quickened Spell & Twinned Spell).
---
Actions
Martial Arts. Melee weapon attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) bludgeoning damage
Dart. Ranged weapon attack: +7 to hit, range 20 ft./60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage; finesse, thrown (20ft./60ft.)
---
Sorcerer Spells -- The Iron Fists’s Sorcerer spellcasting ability is Charisma-based (spell save DC 15)
Cantrips Known (at will) -- Blade Ward, Fire Bolt, Green Flame Blade, Minor Illusion, and Move Earth
1st-level Spells Known (4/long rest) -- Burning Hands and Shield
2nd-level Spells Known (3/long rest) -- Mirror Image, Misty Steps, Scorching Ray,
3rd-level Spells Known (3/long rest) -- Fireball, Fly, Haste
4th-level Spells Known (2/long rest) -- Wall of Fire
---
Equipment: A Cloak of Protection, a dagger, 10 darts, an explorer’s pack, a set of fine clothes, a purse (775 gp), and a scroll of pedigree.

I'd probably want to take a second look at incorporating Hexblade into it now that Xanathar's has been out for a while...

ImproperJustice
2018-09-26, 06:23 PM
Yeah, no idea why they shy away from this in the show as much as they do, but in the comics he could:

Heal himself
Heal others
Channel his Ki into various weapons, including firearms at one point in his career.

I built something similar some time ago and went with a Paladin / Monk.
You will want some clarification from your GM on what is and isn’t a weapon attack when Unarmed Strikes are involved.

Gryndle
2018-09-26, 07:22 PM
I would still go monk all the way if it were me. BUT, really any build is ok as long as you don't let Finn Jones near it. :)

ImproperJustice
2018-09-26, 08:44 PM
I would still go monk all the way if it were me. BUT, really any build is ok as long as you don't let Finn Jones near it. :)

Hey. He’s not that bad. I think he makes a pretty good Danny Rand. His director and writing were awful in the first season.
Poor dude only got 15minutes to practice fight coreagraphy per scene in the first season.
Which was terrible, no argument there.
He’s been practicing and I thought he looked much better in season 2. Totally enjoyed the Heroes for Hire episode in season 2 of Luke Cage. There needs to be a lot more of that.
Apologies for derailing, but I suspect there are more than a few IF fans in this thread :)

Naanomi
2018-09-26, 10:33 PM
If your dm allows Kensei to take unarmed strike as a kensei weapon then you can get smiting lite with just monk.
If the GM is ok with that kind of stuff; a Hexblade with their fist as a Pact Weapon works well

MThurston
2018-09-27, 04:27 AM
Open Palm would by far be the subclass for this build. Knocking people back and prone.

I would then take Paladin for the smite and work in the cantrip Prestidigitation to make my fist glow.

Thinking of taking Mage Initiate for the variant feat. Taking Prest and True Strike. For the first level spell......Junp, Hex or Featherfall? I am leaning towards featherfall.

I could also wait for level 4 to take that feat.

Thank you for the advice.

sulimo0310
2018-09-27, 09:46 AM
I second the open hand monk as best fit. I would say go V Human with magic initiate: cleric. Take spare the dying and light (for your fist) as cantrips and cure wounds as your first level spell. Maybe ask the DM if you can spend some Ki to get additional castings of cure wounds for the day

MThurston
2018-09-27, 01:39 PM
The suck is there is no good fighting style to take. I guess use a quarterstaff with grrater weapon fighting. Use the Iron Fist with the bonus action attack?

Vogie
2018-09-27, 02:15 PM
The suck is there is no good fighting style to take. I guess use a quarterstaff with grrater weapon fighting. Use the Iron Fist with the bonus action attack?

Well, if UA is allowed, Mariner is available.

If you're using a quarterstaff one handed, you can use the Dueling fighting style,
If you're using a quarterstaff Two handed, you can use the "Great Weapon Fighting" fighting style,
and you'll still be able to punch (or kick or headbutt) with your bonus action attack with the martial arts feature, as the staff is a monk weapon.

ZenBear
2018-09-27, 02:48 PM
You could always just make a custom hombrew subclass.

Way of the Iron Fist

Iron Fist: At 3rd level, as an action, for 1 minute, you add your Wisdom modifier to damage rolls made with your fist (with a minimum bonus of +1). Your fist also emits bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If your unarmed attack is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration. You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you fall unconscious, this effect ends. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Wholeness of Body: At 6th level, as an action, you can regain hit points equal to three times your monk level. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Bountiful Chi: Beginning at 11th level, you can use Wholeness of Body on a creature you touch, and any time you use it you also cure any poisons or diseases inflicting the target.

Tireless Fist: Beginning at 17th level, you regain the use of Iron Fist after a short rest.

Talionis
2018-09-28, 02:58 PM
Paladin is so MAD to do in Point Buy that I would lean towards Warlock to get Smites, so you can dump Strength with Monk that's not too hard. You potentially have access to Booming Blade and Green Flame so it could make a lot of sense under Warlock. Pact with the Dragon, the Dragon could easily fall into a Hexblade Patron.