PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Gladiator Setting

Eradis
2018-09-26, 01:31 PM
As I don't get much playtime, but plenty of creative thinking time, I'm building an asset of Game Master tools to use in future campaigns. Right now, I am wondering what could make a Gladiator campaign worth playing. Initially I had this concept in mind as a backup campaign when I'm missing some key players for sessions of the main event.

The PCs being slave will obviously have to battle frequently, not always with time to heal injuries, thus using lingering injuries and critical blows alternative rules will fit perfectly. In between events, I wanted to add social encounters. In cells to other fighters, to servants able to sometimes bring tips of the upcoming fights in the pits. The occasional underground illegal pit fit for a few more bucks to the slave owner or caravan travel to other arena to mix up bits of environment and more social opportunities.

What kind of more specific encounters outside of the arena would you like to see as players or game masters? Overarching plans other than free the PCs?

EDIT: Any chracter options that comes to mind if I want the world to be pseudo magicless? Meaning I would rather give spells here and there to otherwise magic deprived PCs like the standard Fighter.

MintyNinja
2018-09-26, 02:00 PM
This might not be what you're looking for, and I'm sorry if that's the case, but I've always wanted to see a Gladiator Campaign along an Archipelago. That way you have however many circuits on each island and if things fall apart, or your players escape, you can move to the next location. This also gives your players hope for escape, along with possible allies. Imagine bringing pirates into this setting where gladiators are shipped from island to island? I think it creates an interesting central conflict for the setting: How much Freedom is right? Too little and you have slaves fighting to the death. Too much and you have pirates and raiders commanding the seas.

awa
2018-09-26, 02:24 PM
well a rivalry is always good, as gladiators fights need not be to the death. So in an early fight they could get completely stomped by an over powered alternate team that is particularly cruel (they could be free gladiators with much better equipment and other unfair edges)

the party could then encounter them several times in situations where the pcs cant fight them, and because they are jerks the pcs will invariably be rude back to them

thus they can then find out which other gladiator team they are on good terms with and brutally kill them in an unnecessary fashion. Thus when the pcs finally get enough levels to win it can be really satisfying. They will still have better gear then the pcs but the pcs will have learned their tricks/ and or have higher levels.

As an added bonus make them an anti-party doing more or less the same things each pc does so that way, for extra fun they have exactly the kind of gear the pcs for added fun when they take it.

Vogie
2018-09-26, 02:51 PM
You could really easily use the Plane Shift: Amonkhet setting for a Gladiator-style campaign... Or at least borrow heavily from it.

The entire living population of Amonkhet is constantly in training for a long brutal series of deadly trials. Those who die while training and during the trials are mummified, and those undead are used as the "working class", freeing up the living for MOAR TRAINING.
http://media.wizards.com/2017/images/daily/c4rd4r7_9BOkZgg7xw.jpg
In the Amonkhet story, there's plenty of mystery and both social and combat encounters to generate from, ranging from mundane to divine. The PCs wouldn't be enslaved, so you'll avoid those tropes. It's an ideal jumping-off point for a happily-battle-royale-Hunger-Games-y type of campaign.

Eradis
2018-09-26, 06:24 PM
So far, three posts that are really helpful. A rival gang is a nice second tier enemy; a clutter of island makes for a good terrain road; and a civilization that are the slaves of their customs based on power.

Is there any plot hooks that comes to mind in such lands/setting?

Also, new question related to this side campaign I'm building: Which martial based class other than Fighter would be a nice magicless option?

awa
2018-09-26, 06:55 PM
of the existing classes barbarian really jumps out at me as the obvious choice.

something else to consider I vaguely recall that at least in Rome gladiators were celebrities, and popular slaves are valuable slaves. People don't throw away valuable things so the high Cha character could try and appeal to the crowds winning them better gear, medical treatment and general comforts.

Eradis
2018-09-26, 07:22 PM
of the existing classes barbarian really jumps out at me as the obvious choice.

something else to consider I vaguely recall that at least in Rome gladiators were celebrities, and popular slaves are valuable slaves. People don't throw away valuable things so the high Cha character could try and appeal to the crowds winning them better gear, medical treatment and general comforts.

Indeed. It is very political in its own way. Not exactly historically accurate by a long stretch, but the TV show Spartacus is a good example.

MintyNinja
2018-09-27, 03:21 PM
Also, new question related to this side campaign I'm building: Which martial based class other than Fighter would be a nice magicless option?

Rogue is my suggestion for this. Imagine a Strength Rogue with Shieldmaster and Expertise in Athletics. Throw in some charm and you have a crowd favorite.

redwizard007
2018-09-27, 04:36 PM
I'm not sure how much work you want to do, but Darksun had a magicless bard. Might be worth looking at as a crowd pleaser.

Eradis
2018-09-27, 08:50 PM
I'm not sure how much work you want to do, but Darksun had a magicless bard. Might be worth looking at as a crowd pleaser.

I'm curious about the Dark Sun reference. Is there a 5th edition book on the Dark Sun setting that has a magicless bard?

redwizard007
2018-09-27, 09:05 PM
I'm curious about the Dark Sun reference. Is there a 5th edition book on the Dark Sun setting that has a magicless bard?

No. You'd definitely have to home brew it from 2e.

KorvinStarmast
2018-09-27, 09:16 PM
I'm curious about the Dark Sun reference. Is there a 5th edition book on the Dark Sun setting that has a magicless bard?We are all hopeful. :smallcool:

KOLE
2018-09-27, 11:43 PM
Your characters are pretty much stuck with Barb, Fighter, Rogue, and Monk from the PHB. UA has a spell less ranger that’s actually pretty good; though I personally would mash it with the Revised Ranger. Luckily somebody already did the work:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/52p3e5/5epostrework_spellless_ranger/

I would still include Paladin as an option; a perticularly fervently devoted slave could call on his God to help him out. I’d remove the spellcasting and just have the spell slots be smite slots, which most pallys do anyway.

Since animals were used in gladiator fights, I could see a Beastmaster being a thing. I’d play one who defeated a particular beast in a match, and kept it and nursed it back to health to fight for him. That sounds like fun.

Louro
2018-09-28, 06:56 AM
You should definitively look into Dark Sun. Lots of ideas and fluff there.