PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dispel magic questions

holywhippet
2018-09-26, 05:43 PM
1) The spell says to pick one creature, object, or magical effect within range. But it doesn't say "that you can see". Does that mean you can somehow target an invisible creature?

2) Depending on the spell slot used to cast dispel magic it automatically ends magical effects of the same level and lower. But is that based on the minimum level of the spell or the slot that was used to cast it with? For example hold monster is a 5th level spell so a dispel magic cast from a 5th level slot would end it automatically. But what if it was cast with a 9th level slot? Would it require a 9th level dispel magic to automatically end or would it still only be considered as a 5th level spell?

Lunali
2018-09-26, 05:52 PM
1) The spell says to pick one creature, object, or magical effect within range. But it doesn't say "that you can see". Does that mean you can somehow target an invisible creature?

2) Depending on the spell slot used to cast dispel magic it automatically ends magical effects of the same level and lower. But is that based on the minimum level of the spell or the slot that was used to cast it with? For example hold monster is a 5th level spell so a dispel magic cast from a 5th level slot would end it automatically. But what if it was cast with a 9th level slot? Would it require a 9th level dispel magic to automatically end or would it still only be considered as a 5th level spell?

Yes, you can target an invisible creature if you know about it, or more likely, the invisibility effect.

If the hold was cast with a 9th level slot it gets dispelled as a 9th level spell so either a 9th level dispel or 19+ on the ability check, note that this also applies to counterspell.

willdaBEAST
2018-09-26, 05:52 PM
For 1) the wording is ambiguous, but I find it hard to believe the designers intended for it to function on invisible creatures when you have no means of detecting them.

"I cast dispel magic on the caster that just turned invisible", would require more specific details at my table. If you manage to guess where the invisible caster is, I'd allow it to be dispelled.

For 2) I would consider a spell upcast to be of the level of the spell slot expended. I think that's only fair, regardless of what RAW say. You're expending significant resources as a caster by upcasting, having that dispelled on a technicality seems overly punitive.

Erys
2018-09-26, 06:49 PM
Lunali's answers are correct.

"I cast dispel magic on the caster that just turned invisible", would require more specific details at my table. If you manage to guess where the invisible caster is, I'd allow it to be dispelled.

Technically in 5th just turning Invisible doesn't automatically make you Hidden, you still have to use your action to Hide. If you just go invisible in the middle of combat your location is still known to others and therefore you could still be targeted by Dispel Magic.

Dalebert
2018-09-26, 10:43 PM
For 2) I would consider a spell upcast to be of the level of the spell slot expended. I think that's only fair, regardless of what RAW say.

That is the RAW actually. I forget exactly where it says that but that's exactly what it says--that the spell becomes the level of the slot that was used to cast it. If you cast Invisibility with a 9th level slot, you can target 7 additional creatures and it would take a 9th level Dispel Magic to automatically dispel it.

Technically in 5th just turning Invisible doesn't automatically make you Hidden, you still have to use your action to Hide. If you just go invisible in the middle of combat your location is still known to others and therefore you could still be targeted by Dispel Magic.

I agree with you and that's how I run it. However, this is a very contentious point that isn't laid out with perfect clarity in the RAW. VERY long threads have been formed many times over to debate it.