PDA

View Full Version : start and completing full found actions..

animewatcha
2018-09-26, 06:14 PM
Page 142 of player's handbook under section called 'Start/Complete Full-Round Action'. It talks about dividing a full round action ( with limits what can't be done using this option ) into two standard actions. Usually, it is not optimal to do this, but applying this to class abilities, etc. Could this option be used for say decisive strike. Pretty much round 1 Standard to start. Round 2, move action to get into position and then standard to complete the 'full-round action'.

Was there any rulings for this? against this? An option to use things like decisive strike?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-26, 06:32 PM
Page 142 of player's handbook under section called 'Start/Complete Full-Round Action'. It talks about dividing a full round action ( with limits what can't be done using this option ) into two standard actions. Usually, it is not optimal to do this, but applying this to class abilities, etc. Could this option be used for say decisive strike. Pretty much round 1 Standard to start. Round 2, move action to get into position and then standard to complete the 'full-round action'.

Was there any rulings for this? against this? An option to use things like decisive strike?

Well how about that; decisive strike -is- a full-round action rather than a special full attack. Gotta remember that.

In any case, there are, as far as I know, no restrictions on the ability to begin a full-round action in one round and finish it on the following beyond those listed.

Troacctid
2018-09-26, 08:28 PM
It can't be done with a full attack, but something like Decisive Strike should work fine.

animewatcha
2018-09-27, 11:48 PM
Then how would applying this kind of methodology affect usage of abilities like chaos monk's flailing strikes and other full round action abilities?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-09-28, 12:03 AM
Then how would applying this kind of methodology affect usage of abilities like chaos monk's flailing strikes and other full round action abilities?

I would suppose that nothing happens in the first round and the flurry of attacks on the second, when the full round action is completed.

Crake
2018-09-28, 05:24 AM
Since you can't take actions during full round actions, I've always taken to understand that the start/complete full round action required you to use the standard action and the end/start of your turn, to emulate one continuous action that just happened to take place across two rounds. For example, you can't begin casting a spell, pause casting a spell to move, then finish casting the spell, the spell takes a full round to cast.

That said, the rule doesn't actually explicitly state this, but I think it's pretty common sense that you can't perform a second action in the middle of your first one without breaking the flow of whatever you were doing.

ericgrau
2018-09-29, 01:46 PM
@^ Possibly, but I could also understand casting and walking at the same time. Since much of the system is a simplification of simultaneous or nearly simultaneous actions.