PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer 17/Warlock 3 Level Progression

Expected
2018-09-26, 07:15 PM
I have no idea as to how the DM will handle combat/roleplay/etc, so assuming Warlock at level 1, what is the optimal level progression for a Shadow Magic Sorcerer 17/Path of the Tome Hexblade Warlock 3? Planned ASI/feats are Elven Accuracy (+1 Cha), Resilient (Con), War Caster, and +2 Cha. I don't want to delay Elven Accuracy at level 4 Sorcerer, but Warlock has a lot to offer at levels 2 and 3. Is there an ideal (in any meaning of the word) progression for SorLocks? If so, what is it? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Kane0
2018-09-26, 07:19 PM
There is no ideal, unless you happen to know how the adventure is going to play out. The delay in progression is the price you pay for the synergy of multiclassing.

Personally I'd go Lock 2, Sorc 4, Lock 1, Sorc the rest.

Expected
2018-09-26, 07:33 PM
Unfortunately, we are just about to start and I am unsure as to how this DM handles combat/roleplay/etc.

Personally I'd go Lock 2, Sorc 4, Lock 1, Sorc the rest.

Warlock 2 for Eldritch Invocations? And then Sorcerer 4 for the ASI/feat? That sounds effective. Any other suggestions?

kamap
2018-09-27, 02:54 AM
If you are set on starting warlock then warlock 2, sorcerer 4, warlock 1 and sorcerer the rest is indeed the most interesting or so I believe.

A case for starting sorcerer can be made though. Main point beeing for the constitution saving throw proficiency so your concentration spells like hex have more chance to keep on going.

I'm playing a Sorlock aswell at the moment.
I'm a half elf, shadow sorcerer 1, warlock hexblade pact of the tome 2 at he the moment.
I'll be going for warlock 3 next and then sorcerer for the rest.

my idea about it is: starting with shadow sorcerer on lvl 1.
I'll get the constitution savong throw proficiency, a cantrip like fire bolt that deals the same damage as eldritch blast, more cantrips to play with from the start and I'll less likely die because strength of the grave. All the rest is gravy.

Then warlock 1 to gain the medium armor and shield proficiency so I can have 18 AC with only 14 in dex, I'll get eldritch blast and another cantrip, 2 lvl 1 slots that recharge on a short rest which can also be used to cast sorcerer spells and vice versa.

Warlock to 2 for the invocations agonizing blast and eyes of the rune keeper (the one that lets you read every language)

Warlock to 3 change out the eyes of the rune keeper invocation for book of ancient secrets and get 3 cantrips from any list and they don't have to be from the same list (giving you 9 cantrips) and 2 rituals (probably going to take find familiar and alarm) for the familiar I'll take an owl so I can let it do a flyby help action for easy advantage.

Then the rest goes to sorcerer, yes you'll delay an asi but with all the cantrips, spell slots and easy advantage it wont be such a problem.

When you then reach lvl 6 and have sorcerer 3 and warlock 3 you can start using metamagic and the previous level gave you 2 bolts with eldritch blast.