PDA

View Full Version : why does xykon need the gates

hrak
2007-09-16, 04:01 PM
I don't get what xykon wants to do with the gates? Can some one tell me.

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 04:06 PM
To control the Snarl. Xykon can push around mortals just fine, but gods would be a little trickier without some anti-divine backup.

Maratanos
2007-09-16, 04:09 PM
You really should read the Start of Darkness...

NerfTW
2007-09-16, 04:18 PM
He doesn't want to push around the gods, the Dark One does.

Xykon was talked into it because (SoD spoiler)

He wants to rule the world, and he needs a doomsday device, aka, the Snarl. He figures he can take out a city or two, and everyone will fear him.

Of course, now he's managed to accomplish one part of the Dark One's plans without the gates (The goblinoids have thier own city), so who knows what's gonna happen.

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-16, 04:24 PM
Or here is the spoiler'd explaination from SoD:

Redcloak and his brother Right-Eye told Xykon that a ritual requiring a high level divine caster and a high level arcane caster - the same magic wielders that created the gates - could allow the casters control over the Snarl. With a nigh-unstoppable god killing machine at his beck and call, Xykon could take over the world completely unapposed.

This is actually a bunch of hooey. The ritual really gives control of the gate, including where it appears, to the Dark One, the God of Goblinoids and Redcloak's deity. The Snarl itself cannot be controlled by any force, mortal or divine. If the ritual was successful, he would use this power to hold the other gods hostage and force them to give better rights for the Monsterous Sentient Races, which were only created in order to give Clerics an easy source of XP. And if the ritual went horribly wrong and the Snarl was released, it would destory the current world and the Gods would have to make a new one to contain it, and the Dark One would have a say in it, to avoid creating a new snarl, so he could make sure the new Goblin society would be on an equal footing with elves and dwarves. This back-up plan is quite heinous, because not only would the current world be annihilated, but the souls of all the victims would be destroyed, meaning no afterlife for any of them. Just bleak oblivion.

Hope that explains it.

Elfanatic
2007-09-16, 05:05 PM
Gate? What gate?

JasonDoomsblade
2007-09-16, 05:29 PM
Gate? What gate?

:redcloak: That Gate.

David Argall
2007-09-16, 05:41 PM
The purpose, as far as the OOTS knows, is that any of the gates can be [mis]used as a super-weapon that would allow the lich to rule the world. Given that his hobbies are murder and torture, this is not an appealing choice.

ARMOURERERIC
2007-09-16, 05:57 PM
He has an egress fetish

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 06:01 PM
He has an egress fetish

You know, that's pretty wrong if you think of what exactly can count as an egress. :smalleek:

Spiryt
2007-09-16, 06:06 PM
You know, that's pretty wrong if you think of what exactly can count as an egress. :smalleek:

I just checked in online translator what "egress" means. And then I couldn't shut off my brain wires fast enough.

Green Bean
2007-09-16, 06:10 PM
I just checked in online translator what "egress" means. And then I couldn't shut off my brain wires fast enough.

You know, it isn't that dirty if you try an English dictionary. :smallamused:

Kai Maera
2007-09-16, 09:26 PM
I think Xykon doesn't quite understand what he's screwing around with, in all honesty. He may want to siphon power from the Snarl, or even take all the power of the Snarl as his own, but if that were possible the Gods probably would have done that before the Snarl decimated a pantheon.

Also, Mr. Scruffy will show up because he is the God left out of the Asian Zodiac. Something about missing a tea party with Buddha.

ref
2007-09-16, 09:45 PM
That's what they explain in Fruits Basket...

The reasons for Xykon wanting the gates have been explained thoroughly on this thread. I can only ask to the OP... "so, you're a corrupt green nymph?" :smalltongue: