PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying How Can You Be Successful At Romance?

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-26, 08:18 PM
Hey everybody. I just thought of something. I know that romance can sometimes happen in D&D 3.5. So here's an example that I just thought in my top of my head. I'm playing a Chaotic Good Male Elf Bard and I met a NPC Chaotic Good Female Half-Orc Cleric Of Kord. Both of them didn't like each other at first because of different races even though both are them are Chaotic Good. Then after a while they started to get along and helping each other out. Then after that they fallen in love. So anyway how can this situation turned out to be a very successful romance scenario?

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-26, 11:35 PM
There aren't really any rules for romancing someone, so what exactly are you even asking here? Sounds like you've got a good situation going. Much like IRL romances, at this point you just have to roleplay it out to its natural conclusion.

Nifft
2018-09-26, 11:44 PM
"Hey, DM. Is my character's marriage happy?"

"Oh yeah, man. It's great. Now about those orcs..."

Bronk
2018-09-27, 07:24 AM
Hey everybody. I just thought of something. I know that romance can sometimes happen in D&D 3.5. So here's an example that I just thought in my top of my head. I'm playing a Chaotic Good Male Elf Bard and I met a NPC Chaotic Good Female Half-Orc Cleric Of Kord. Both of them didn't like each other at first because of different races even though both are them are Chaotic Good. Then after a while they started to get along and helping each other out. Then after that they fallen in love. So anyway how can this situation turned out to be a very successful romance scenario?

In 3.5, changing an NPC's attitude towards you on purpose is done with role playing, the diplomacy skill, or both. Since it looks like you guys didn't bother with diplomacy rolls, just keep being nice to your new paramour in game.

If the 'very successful' part would be awkward to play out, just dial down the details until you're all okay with it.

The Insanity
2018-09-27, 07:32 AM
Ask your dad.

Raxxius
2018-09-27, 07:45 AM
Take as many ranks in bluff as possible.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-27, 08:05 AM
There aren't really any rules for romancing someone, so what exactly are you even asking here? Sounds like you've got a good situation going. Much like IRL romances, at this point you just have to roleplay it out to its natural conclusion.

I just advising for advice to see how to keep a successful romance that all but many people are giving me advices here.

Florian
2018-09-27, 08:21 AM

Do you mean the game aspects, the RP aspects or what scenarios the GM can develop based on this?

I´d suggest taking a look at some Paizo APs, which turn handling long-term social interaction into sorta-kinda mini-games.
- Jade Throne: There're some major NPC, you have romance/antagonism options for them
- WotR: There're about six recurring NPC that you have to build up relations with
- Hell´s Rebels/Ironfang Invasion: You´re in charge of an entire organization, now manage and deal with more than just your PCs.

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-27, 08:53 AM
Do you mean the game aspects, the RP aspects or what scenarios the GM can develop based on this?

I´d suggest taking a look at some Paizo APs, which turn handling long-term social interaction into sorta-kinda mini-games.
- Jade Throne: There're some major NPC, you have romance/antagonism options for them
- WotR: There're about six recurring NPC that you have to build up relations with
- Hell´s Rebels/Ironfang Invasion: You´re in charge of an entire organization, now manage and deal with more than just your PCs.
All aspects. :smile:

Darrin
2018-09-27, 09:57 AM
As per Sword & Fist p. 10, a seduction attempt is a Bluff check opposed by Sense Motive. However, I think that only covers situations where your intentions are insincere or you're trying to extract information or a favor from someone.

If your intentions are sincere, then that's probably a Diplomacy check, as that's pretty clearly a "both parties get something" situation.

As far as a long-term romantic relationship goes... D&D doesn't really have any mechanical rules to cover that. The game parcels out narrative control in quantified elements such as Hit Points: if the numbers on your character sheet are higher than something else, then you control what happens to that thing in the narrative. A romantic relationship is not something you can quantify in those terms, so you're better off just handling those sorts of things via roleplay and interactive storytelling.

Buufreak
2018-09-27, 10:19 AM
It depends on which romance you are using. One involves a grand quest to rescue the half orc from *insert villain* while venturing across the world and overcoming *insert trials*. The other is the modern definition that was built up by Disney, various jewelry companies, and oddly enough the razor industry, and involves asking your dm.

Telonius
2018-09-27, 10:54 AM
Yeah, including any kind of romance is a tricky area, and really depends on what your group is willing to explore. There are groups that are fine with breaking out BoEF, Nymphology, and describing every little NC-17 detail; there are groups that want to keep any romance "off-screen," and everything in between. The general rule I follow is, make absolutely certain everybody's okay with it before you start RPing it out. Respecting your gaming group and whatever boundaries they have is something that's really, really important. You can find out what those boundaries are by asking them, or you can find out by crossing them. You do not want to find out by crossing them.

Romance can be an important part of any character's life, so it's certainly something that could be played out. But just like any other RPing, remember to share the spotlight. It isn't just "The Bard and Cleric Show," the other characters need to have their time as well. Think of how they handle it in Order of the Stick. Elan and Haley are (obviously) a big part of the party, but they're not the only ones around. The romance also isn't the beginning and end of who they are.

Celestia
2018-09-27, 02:30 PM
Dude, I've been trying for more then ten years, and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Oh, wait. You mean in the game? Uh...me too. >_>

Bartmanhomer
2018-09-27, 04:19 PM
Yeah, including any kind of romance is a tricky area, and really depends on what your group is willing to explore. There are groups that are fine with breaking out BoEF, Nymphology, and describing every little NC-17 detail; there are groups that want to keep any romance "off-screen," and everything in between. The general rule I follow is, make absolutely certain everybody's okay with it before you start RPing it out. Respecting your gaming group and whatever boundaries they have is something that's really, really important. You can find out what those boundaries are by asking them, or you can find out by crossing them. You do not want to find out by crossing them.

Romance can be an important part of any character's life, so it's certainly something that could be played out. But just like any other RPing, remember to share the spotlight. It isn't just "The Bard and Cleric Show," the other characters need to have their time as well. Think of how they handle it in Order of the Stick. Elan and Haley are (obviously) a big part of the party, but they're not the only ones around. The romance also isn't the beginning and end of who they are.I understand what your saying and everybody else who been posting this thread. I should be really careful not to overfocused on that.

Dude, I've been trying for more then ten years, and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Oh, wait. You mean in the game? Uh...me too. >_>

Sometimes I wonder if you really focused on the topic. :confused:

Mlmiii
2018-10-05, 08:36 PM
Romance shares a couple important characteristics that it shares with D&D:
1) It's an inherently social action.
2) There isn't a preordained win condition.

If you play a video game, you normally consider yourself to "win" when the credits roll or a little popup appears saying "victory!". However, in more sandbox-style games like The Sims, there isn't a little popup, or a credits roll. In D&D, you don't "win" when you clear at least one dungeon and defeat at least one dragon. You keep going, and fighting, and adventuring, until either the players or the characters decide to call it quits, usually because there are sufficient schedule conflicts that the humans behind the story can no longer sustain it or because there are few enough immediate threats that the humans (or otherwise) inside the story feel safe enough to go back to their pre-adventure lives, or make a new post-adventure life.

With romance, likewise, there isn't a clear goal that fits everyone. Some will want a kissing buddy that they can flirt with and not plan out any further. Others will want a marriage, or children. Still others will care less about the marriage than the years after the marriage, the calm reassurance that someone in this world cares about them built up by thousands of days of waking up next to the person they love.

You're best off thinking about what your character wants from a romance--dates? Affection? Legally and socially recognized declarations of bonding? Then, have your character ask his girlfriend what she wants. After that, well, your character and his love interest have a list of goals, don't they? Get at it. Find where your character and Ms. Cleric are willing to change for each other, where they aren't willing to change for each other, what agreements and compromises and schedules are necessary to keep up the relationship under the strain of adventuring and whatever Ms. Cleric does for a living. Add things to the list as Mr. Bard and Ms. Cleric think of them (with the other's approval, of course), and pursue those as well. The questgivers for a given romance are, in fact, the people in that romance--so ask them.

BlackOnyx
2018-10-07, 05:04 AM
If you're really looking to develop the dynamic between your character and your love interest, I'd recommend trying to give your fellow PCs a reason to interact with her.

An engaging romance doesn't evolve in a vacuum; it's constantly being shaped and tested in the world at large. By involving your fellow players in the dynamic, you'll run into a wealth of situations (good/bad or otherwise) that you'd have never dreamed of if the only interactions were between you and your DM.

I say this with some recent experience under my belt. My PC in a west marches game, a young human beguiler (early twenties), recently stumbled across a young village girl (late teens) who was instantly smitten with him.

A few sessions later, our half-fey bard ("Aunt Khora") has introduced her to the wonders of day-drinking while our resident wizard and sorcerer argue about what kind of mage she'll become on the side. Half the guild has plans to throw/attend the "biggest bachelor/bachelorette parties ever" should the two of us end up tying the knot.

None of those scenarios would have evolved (or been nearly as engaging) if the rest of the group hadn't helped create them.

Arbane
2018-10-08, 03:28 PM
How to succeed at romance in Pathfinder (http://designofdragons.blogspot.com/2016/04/winning-game-of-love.html) (Max Charisma or Bust)

Nifft
2018-10-08, 03:34 PM
How to succeed at romance in Pathfinder (http://designofdragons.blogspot.com/2016/04/winning-game-of-love.html) (Max Charisma or Bust)

How do I max Bust?

Celestia
2018-10-08, 03:46 PM
How do I max Bust?
Put points into constitution.