PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf dragon sorcerer ok?

Whit
2018-09-26, 08:55 PM
Was looking at a melee mountain dwarf fire dragon sorcerer. Is this workable as single class or multi classing.
Starting lvl 1 16st, 15ch, 15con, 12int 10dex, 8 wis. Medium armor battle axe.
Was thinking green fire blade cantrip to enhance his 1 attack and not sure if at higher lvl it gets charisma bonus on top.
Elemental mastery for fire maybe late game as higher lvl harder creatures. Will have fire resistance

Daghoulish
2018-09-26, 09:51 PM
I mean, it could work. You would still want to use some ranged spells but you could have a decent melee. You would need Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade, once you got a decent amount of sorcerery points you could quicken one of them to get 2 castings per turn. I would probably take your first Asi as +1 con/chr to get both to 16. Something to also keep aware of, you won't have great Ac for most of the game. 15 with the best medium armor (750gp) is not a super great Ac for only having (at 16con) 8hp per level with all of your bonus' and the shield spell is a little too costly to use a lot during the early game. I think around level 5-6ish is when you could start to get into a little bit of melee. Before that your a little too squishy, with low hp and lowish Ac without enough spell slots to use shield when necessary.

I actually made a melee sorc with a heavy focus on GFB. However I took 2 levels of Fighter at the start so I could have heavy armor meaning I could dump dex. Then I got spell sniper so I could GFB with a reach weapon and stayed behind the frontline poking enemies for some safety.

Galithar
2018-09-26, 10:05 PM
Since Sorlocks are awesome I recommend looking at Hexblade 5 multiclass to pick up Eldritch Smite and all the other Warlock goodies. Give you some short rest spell slots to convert into sorcerery points which is always good to keep quickening your weapon cantrips.
Also as a Hexblade you can drop strength and just go with bumping Cha more if you want since it will allow you to use Cha on weapon attacks.

The biggest drawbacks are slowed progression on sorcerer and never hitting ninth level spells or slots.

Also just throwing it out there with Improved Pact Weapon and Eldritch Smite invocations you can smite an Adult (Huge size) out of midair and force it to take fall damage by smiting it with a bow.

Whit
2018-09-26, 10:12 PM
I see what your saying. This will be adventure league so if I go gfb or B.B. I’m stuck with swordcoast for my +1
And I don’t expect better than chainmail for a bit

Not sure if I lose to much from Xanathar

If I go fighter 1 I can get eventually get plate over chainmail when I can buy it and a weapon style. Maybe defense? +1 ac

Then go all Sorcerer and as you say stay back a bit until level 5 (6)
But I’m not sure how I can quicken my gfb or B.B. twice if I get only 1 attack and as for
Gfb at lvl 5 the main person and 1 adjacent both get hit by fire. So would both take Charisma bonus damage

Eriol
2018-09-26, 10:22 PM
But I’m not sure how I can quicken my gfb or B.B. twice if I get only 1 attack
Interesting concept, but wanted to comment on this one thing: Cast a Spell is an Action. Not related to anything that may give you Extra Attack. So B.B. and G.F.B. don't interact with that feature at all, it's one or the other. Not sure about smiting with one of those, but they're definitely different than attacking with a weapon, so Extra Attack is for sure not related at all. Like any scaling cantrip, they scale with character level though.

Daghoulish
2018-09-26, 10:27 PM
But I’m not sure how I can quicken my gfb or B.B. twice if I get only 1 attack

BB and GFB are cantrips that take your action to cast. With the Quicken Metamagic you can bring this down to a bonus action for 1 sorcery point. Meaning in one turn you could: Cast GFB(Action) then Quicken GRB(Bonus action) for 1 sorcery point. This gives you a pseudo-extra attack, with the only difference being that you lose your bonus action but you have the ability to hit 4 times in one turn.(Twice on your main target and you get 2 flame bounces.)

Whit
2018-09-26, 10:29 PM
That’s why I was asking about him mentioning quicken gfbx2?
And does the green flame blade get Charisma fire bonus on both targets. As it says the fire leaps to second target also

Daghoulish
2018-09-26, 10:38 PM
That’s why I was asking about him mentioning quicken gfbx2?
And does the green flame blade get Charisma fire bonus on both targets. As it says the fire leaps to second target also

Only the bounces would get the +chr, however both bounces would get the bonus damage. Damage for GFB looks like this: Weapon damage(+Xd8 fire at levels 5+), bounce: (Xd8 at levels 5+)+Chr fire.
If your talking about the damage bonus from elemental affinity from draconic sorcerer then I guess you could add that to either of these damages but not both at once.

Keravath
2018-09-27, 09:16 AM
BB and GFB are cantrips that take your action to cast. With the Quicken Metamagic you can bring this down to a bonus action for 1 sorcery point. Meaning in one turn you could: Cast GFB(Action) then Quicken GRB(Bonus action) for 1 sorcery point. This gives you a pseudo-extra attack, with the only difference being that you lose your bonus action but you have the ability to hit 4 times in one turn.(Twice on your main target and you get 2 flame bounces.)

Just a point but quicken is two sorcery points so using it frequently becomes pretty expensive though at higher levels you can burn high level spell slots to replenish the sorcery points.

Twin on the other hand only costs 1 sorcery point. So it is possible to twin booming blade against two adjacent targets if you wish.

For AL, you can't use the hexblade warlock patron (as suggested above) with booming blade/green flame blade since they are different +1 sources. BB/GFB work fine with a dragon sorcerer from the PHB. One of the biggest concerns with a melee sorcerer is the typically lower hit points from the d6 dice. The reason folks suggest the hexblade warlock multiclass is because you can shift to using charisma for your attack/damage rolls while a regular sorcerer will need high dex or str and high cha to be effective in melee and at spell casting.

Whit
2018-09-28, 09:57 AM
I read Gastronomie great piece Of going paladin sorcere
But what should level progression be. should I progress to lvl 7 ancient Then go all dragon sorcerer.
Or should I go lvl 2 paladin then sorcerer 6 then paladin to 7 then finish sorcerer

I guess the view would be more health early 2 attacks and aura saves and aura spells. But lacking the entire combo for sorcerer til lvl 10-13
Or get some limited health melee and go more sorcerer to get the combo sooner but losing the above
Hard choice. My view of the character is to be mountain dwarf whose hidden ancestry involves red dragon. But will emerge. Still needs to be fleshed out but is sent to Waterdeep by the Emerald enclave to increase its presence.

Stats with dwarf 16 str 15 con 15 cha 8 dex 10 int 12 wis

Nifft
2018-09-28, 07:46 PM
Do you want heavy armor? Then go Paladin first.

Do you want Con save proficiency? (i.e. will you be using buff spells a lot?) Then you may prefer Sorcerer first.