PDA

View Full Version : When Bears Fly (The Divine Moon Druid)

Millface
2018-09-27, 10:21 AM
I've been doing some delving into really beefing up the moon druid beast forms, and here's what I've come up with.

Start: Level 1 Druid, Aasimar (Protector)
Str: 13
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

Levels 1-4 are Druid, take Moon (obviously). The first part of the fun of this build comes online at level 3, where you're able to wildshape into either a Brown Bear or a Deinonychus. We already know that Moon Druids sub level 4 are almost broken, so let's add to that 1 minute per day of wings and +3 damage/round from Radiant Soul. At level 4 we'll take Sentinel, arguably the best tank feat in the game.

Levels 5-6 are Paladin. We can take defense here, which does work with natural armor, to give us a minor boost to AC, we get Divine Smite (the real reason for the dip) Divine Sense, a small pool of Lay On Hands (all work in beast mode) and the ability to potentially precast Bless before Wild Shape to help out with Beasts poorly scaling attack bonuses.

Levels 7-10 We're back to Druid. At 10 we can take Warcaster to hold concentration on whatever prebuffs we add, or Mage Slayer for some additional tanking prowess. We're now 11th level casters, so we have 5th level spell slots and can smite for days or heal for days depending on the situation. Our options for pre-wildshape spellcasting are numerous, with Bless still being a frontrunner, or Conjure Animals upcast to 5th level for significantly more presence on the battlefield and arguably more DPR than almost any other class at this level. Lastly, we upgrade Brown Bear to Polar Bear for an additional +2 to our attack rolls.

11-13 We take our last dip into Zealot Barbarian. The goodies here are numerous. Reckless Attack, Danger Sense, Resistance to physical damage while raging, +2 to damage while raging, and at 13 we get 1d6+2 divine damage to our first hit in a round. We trade spell progression for this, but that shouldn't be a problem.

14-20 we go right back to Druid, capping off at level 15. We're treated as a 16th level caster, we have 8th level spells and spell slots, can upcast Conjure Animals to level 7 for triple the creatures, and have an absurd number of slots for smiting and healing.

Full Nova (now Giant Crocodile, Polar Bear, Brontosaurus, or Stegosaurus, depending on the environment) will see you dealing 11d8+3d6+36 + Conjure Animal damage per round as a Polar bear. Or 10d8+1d6+29 + Conjure Animal damage per round as a brontosaurus. Other options for smaller dungeon rooms are Anklyosaurus and Giant Scorpion, depending on how much damage you're taking.

The erratic nature of Conjure Animals has its DPR pretty hard to peg down, but at +7 to hit against AC 20 with Advantage is a 65% hit chance, So in Bear form you're looking at 63 DPR, 54 DPR as a Bronto, and then you ADD to that Conjure Animals and we're getting upwards of 100 DPR on a moon druid. This moon druid has resistance to physical damage, advantage on dex saves vs. spells, Advantage on saves vs. spells within 5 ft. Advantage on con saves to maintain concentration, and an absurd pool of slots for healing that ticks as a bonus action and doesn't reduce our damage at all.

EDIT: Forgot entirely about elemental forms. If your party takes enough short rests to do it, those would be superior to most beast forms in terms of damage and durability.
EDIT 2: You can't concentrate on spells with raging. Do you guys think that the barbarian dip is worth it just for reckless attack and the 1d6+2 extra damage per round? It might not be. Conjure Animals is really, really good.

What do you guys think? Worth rolling?

Asmotherion
2018-09-27, 10:29 AM
I've been doing some delving into really beefing up the moon druid beast forms, and here's what I've come up with.

Levels 1-4 are Druid, take Moon (obviously). The first part of the fun of this build comes online at level 3, where you're able to wildshape into either a Brown Bear or a Deinonychus. We already know that Moon Druids sub level 4 are almost broken, so let's add to that 1 minute per day of wings and +3 damage/round from Radiant Soul. At level 4 we'll take Sentinel, arguably the best tank feat in the game.

Levels 5-6 are Paladin. We can take defense here, which does work with natural armor, to give us a minor boost to AC, we get Divine Smite (the real reason for the dip) Divine Sense, a small pool of Lay On Hands (all work in beast mode) and the ability to potentially precast Bless before Wild Shape to help out with Beasts poorly scaling attack bonuses.

Levels 7-10 We're back to Druid. At 10 we can take Warcaster to hold concentration on whatever prebuffs we add, or Mage Slayer for some additional tanking prowess. We're now 11th level casters, so we have 5th level spell slots and can smite for days or heal for days depending on the situation. Our options for pre-wildshape spellcasting are numerous, with Bless still being a frontrunner, or Conjure Animals upcast to 5th level for significantly more presence on the battlefield and arguably more DPR than almost any other class at this level. Lastly, we upgrade Brown Bear to Polar Bear for an additional +2 to our attack rolls.

11-13 We take our last dip into Zealot Barbarian. The goodies here are numerous. Reckless Attack, Danger Sense, Resistance to physical damage while raging, +2 to damage while raging, and at 13 we get 1d6+2 divine damage to our first hit in a round. We trade spell progression for this, but that shouldn't be a problem.

14-20 we go right back to Druid, capping off at level 15. We're treated as a 16th level caster, we have 8th level spells and spell slots, can upcast Conjure Animals to level 7 for triple the creatures, and have an absurd number of slots for smiting and healing.

Full Nova (now Giant Crocodile, Polar Bear, Brontosaurus, or Stegosaurus, depending on the environment) will see you dealing 11d8+3d6+36 + Conjure Animal damage per round as a Polar bear. Or 10d8+1d6+29 + Conjure Animal damage per round as a brontosaurus. Other options for smaller dungeon rooms are Anklyosaurus and Giant Scorpion, depending on how much damage you're taking.

The erratic nature of Conjure Animals has its DPR pretty hard to peg down, but at +7 to hit against AC 20 with Advantage is a 65% hit chance, So in Bear form you're looking at 63 DPR, 54 DPR as a Bronto, and then you ADD to that Conjure Animals and we're getting upwards of 100 DPR on a moon druid. This moon druid has resistance to physical damage, advantage on dex saves vs. spells, Advantage on saves vs. spells within 5 ft. Advantage on con saves to maintain concentration, and an absurd pool of slots for healing that ticks as a bonus action and doesn't reduce our damage at all.

What do you guys think? Worth rolling?
I think the thread title would be a lot funnier if it was "When Pigs Can Fly" or something... :P

And after contributing my potentially cold humor, I will admit my oppinion on the build is neutral. Not bad, not amazing either. Overall, I'm passively not impressed.

Millface
2018-09-27, 10:57 AM
Any suggestions to take it from passively unimpressive to mildly interesting or even somewhat impressive?

dmteeter
2018-09-27, 12:20 PM
I'd skip the barbarian. Barbarians without rage just aren't worth it in my opinion.

stoutstien
2018-09-27, 02:30 PM
I'd skip the barbarian. Barbarians without rage just aren't worth it in my opinion.

2nd this druids are soild with no real need to dip out other maybe cleric for casting depth

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:39 AM
gdfsgsdfgdfsgsdgdsg

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:40 AM
sdgfsdgdgf

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:42 AM
thanks gareta

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:45 AM
Below is the form to fill in order to register. After registering, you will be able to view your profile and preferences. The fields below are just a small part of everything you can change in your profile.

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:46 AM
If you have never registered or forgotten your password, please click belo

dehitamum
2018-09-28, 05:49 AM
KrogerFeedback (https://krogerfeedback.space/)

Millface
2018-09-28, 07:26 AM
Somebody got drunk.

But yeah. I was looking for a way to make the Moon Druid do a little more damage, although it's very, very tanky it tends to fall behind in that regard later on.

I'm probably just going to stick with Shepherd Druid for my next character.

/thread

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 07:35 AM
I feel that not being a Boar is a lost opportunity in this situation. I mean, no one can ever say "Ya, well that will happen when pig fly" anymore.

MagneticKitty
2018-09-28, 01:29 PM
Might be worth looking into immortal mystic for a.c./ hp and the ability to sprout wings. If Your dm allows it

Corran
2018-09-28, 06:13 PM
If you decide to dip into barbarian in the first place, then a nice idea I had seen some time ago in here, would be to take a third level in berserker after you get access to your elemental forms of course. That's cause elementals are immune to exhaustion.

Daghoulish
2018-09-28, 09:17 PM

If those are your stats after racials then you can't go paladin. You need 13 in both Str and Chr. Otherwise it sounds like a lot of fun.

Edit: I could still see going barbarian. The rages could be for those encounters where you don't want to spend spells, or when your running low on spells. Reckless attack and danger sense are always nice to have.