PDA

View Full Version : Index Item that make noise loud enough to cover a Banshee's screams?

Merudo
2018-09-27, 01:53 PM
Last session we were set to fight a Banshee.

I asked if we could craft earplugs in preparation. DM said they would be ineffective, because we could still hear the banshee with earplugs on, even if just a little bit.

I ended up failing my saving throw against the Banshee's scream in the first round. I then got a critical failure on my death saving throw and died. I'm sort of bummed out about the whole thing really.

My character had the highest possible CON saving throw at the time (16con + proficiency), so it's not like I could have done anything different.

Or maybe I could have!

I suspect my DM would have considered giving us immunity to the Banshee's screams if, in addition to the eyeplugs, we also made noise loud enough to cover the Banshee.

I guess we could have brought with us some sort of musical instruments (drums would work well). However, it would take an action to play.

As an alternative to instruments, is there any item that could provide very loud noise, while not taking up an action?

ErHo
2018-09-27, 01:59 PM
Anecdotal 2e story, I dont know about in 5e.

2 gnome players were able to construct a hurdygurdy(crank and walk away music box) that was loud enough for them to drown out a banshee under the city.

From what I remember they rolled on a few tables, given a week they were able to make it and deploy it successfully with just a -2 on saves.

NecessaryWeevil
2018-09-27, 01:59 PM
What about the Silence spell, or even Minor Illusion (create screams, beating drums, or a lion's roar to drown out the banshee)?

Or do you require a completely nonmagical solution?

Telonius
2018-09-27, 02:05 PM
Maybe have a "friendly" caster, cast Blindness/Deafness on you? Can't hear the banshee if you're deaf.

Merudo
2018-09-27, 02:05 PM
Anecdotal 2e story, I dont know about in 5e.

2 gnome players were able to construct a hurdygurdy(crank and walk away music box) that was loud enough for them to drown out a banshee under the city.

From what I remember they rolled on a few tables, given a week they were able to make it and deploy it successfully with just a -2 on saves.

Awesome story. I think a DM would likely allow it in 5e, given the Gnome's Tinker ability to create a music box.

stoutstien
2018-09-27, 05:20 PM
I'd say casting silence and if possible have a source of sun light. What lv where you at?

Mellack
2018-09-27, 10:39 PM
For magical the standard would be silence or deafness.

Not in d&d, but a past system we played in I had some fireworks that worked like a "piccolo pete" where they made a loud screaming sound that essentially deafened everyone for the duration. Took an action to light it though. Made great use of it against an enemy bard type that required people to hear his songs.

Mith
2018-09-27, 11:35 PM
As well as the above, this is where you get a bard with a set of bagpipes to drown out the banshee with a different form of loud wailing.

stoutstien
2018-09-28, 01:10 AM
I'm curious how this encounter went down. Banshees are going to be a solo encounter in most scenarios so a fellow party member could stablize or heal.

Sage Tellah
2018-09-28, 01:59 AM
Here's a good spell solution you might not have heard of. Warding Wind, via Xanathar's. Among other things, it renders yourself and other creatures within 10 feet of you deafened, which is better than Silence because the effect stays centered on you when you move. Also second level, learnable by bards, druids, sorcerers, and wizards.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-28, 07:22 AM
Here's a good spell solution you might not have heard of. Warding Wind, via Xanathar's. Among other things, it renders yourself and other creatures within 10 feet of you deafened, which is better than Silence because the effect stays centered on you when you move. Also second level, learnable by bards, druids, sorcerers, and wizards.

Yeah! I was gonna recommend that one. It’s one of it’s more unusual properties.