PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Immortal Iron Fist

ZenBear
2018-09-27, 02:51 PM
Way of the Iron Fist

Iron Fist: At 3rd level, as an action, for 1 minute, you add your Wisdom modifier to damage rolls made with your fist (with a minimum bonus of +1). Your fist also emits bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light 20 feet beyond that. If your unarmed attack is not already magical, it becomes magical for the duration. You can end this effect on your turn as part of any other action. If you fall unconscious, this effect ends. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Wholeness of Body: At 6th level, as an action, you can regain hit points equal to three times your monk level. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Bountiful Chi: Beginning at 11th level, you can use Wholeness of Body on a creature you touch, and any time you use it you also cure any poisons or diseases inflicting the target.

Tireless Fist: Beginning at 17th level, you regain the use of Iron Fist after a short rest.

Vogie
2018-09-27, 03:30 PM
If you are no longer holding or carrying this weapon, or if you fall unconscious, this effect ends.

How, precisely, would one no longer carry their fist?

I like the concept overall, but it's a bit overtuned. It's fairly common to have 16 or 18 in one stat, which would give all 2-3 attacks each turn (with or without flurry, before extra attack) All of which have an extra +3 or +4 to damage . That's just bananas.

Once per long rest for nearly all of the class seems a bit off... a monk is a short-rest class, so it should probably be once per short rest at the outset. I could also see:

2 uses per long rest expanding to 3/long rest at 11, with the 17th level feature regaining a use if you roll initiative with no uses remaining.
X uses per long rest, following the proficiency modifier (similar to Barbarian # of rages)

ZenBear
2018-09-27, 03:40 PM
Fixed. I just copy-pasted Sacred Weapon from Devotion Paladin and swapped attack for damage bonus. Yeah it's probably a bit powerful, but this is the Immortal Iron Fist we're talking about. :smallcool:

Once per long rest for nearly all of the class seems a bit off... a monk is a short-rest class, so it should probably be once per short rest at the outset. I could also see:

2 uses per long rest expanding to 3/long rest at 11, with the 17th level feature regaining a use if you roll initiative with no uses remaining.
X uses per long rest, following the proficiency modifier (similar to Barbarian # of rages)

I'm going off the wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Fist_(comics)#Powers_and_abilities) which says "this feat leaves Rand physically and mentally drained, unable to repeat the act for a time, as long as an entire day in certain instances, though after years of using the ability, it has become less draining." I think this also helps rein in the power until 17.

This was just an off-the-cuff answer to a thread in 5e. I'd be curious to see someone actually capable in mathematics (ie not me) run the numbers for DPR on Iron Fist.

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 07:06 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/qOlEZLSMqtxMA/giphy.gif

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 07:12 AM

I like the concept overall, but it's a bit overtuned. It's fairly common to have 16 or 18 in one stat, which would give all 2-3 attacks each turn (with or without flurry, before extra attack) All of which have an extra +3 or +4 to damage . That's just bananas.

Why is that so bananas? I disagree with you on this one. A fighter can get 4 attacks per round, and with the dueling fighting style they get +2 to all attacks all day long plus many other things. Considering that this is a 1 minute per rest (long or short, whatever it ends up being) it actually feels pretty balanced to me. I personally wouldn't change it.

JNAProductions
2018-09-28, 10:15 AM
Why is that so bananas? I disagree with you on this one. A fighter can get 4 attacks per round, and with the dueling fighting style they get +2 to all attacks all day long plus many other things. Considering that this is a 1 minute per rest (long or short, whatever it ends up being) it actually feels pretty balanced to me. I personally wouldn't change it.

Because you get more attacks sooner, and can be adding +5, not just +2.

ZenBear
2018-09-28, 11:56 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/qOlEZLSMqtxMA/giphy.gif
Gold! 😂

How do I calculate DPR to find out just how broken this is? As I said this was really off the cuff work, so it’s certainly open for change. I don’t think an attack bonus makes sense, but perhaps instead of a static +WIS it allows you to Smite with Ki Points?

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 12:14 PM

Agreed, but you get +2 on all attacks all the time with dueling. Whereas the +5 is only for 1 minute per X rest. If you make it a once per long rest activity, then you get a huge boost for 1 battle a day but for the rest you get nothing. It seems like that would balance it somewhat.

Amnoriath
2018-09-28, 07:46 PM
A couple of things to point out here.
1. You don't give out any abilities linked with ki points.
2. While you are basing this off the Open Hand it should be mentioned that the Open Hand style scalesin frequency whe using flurry of blows and therefore copying wholeness of body and tagging on what amounts to a once per day ribbon is even weaker than Tranquil Presence not to mention Quivering Palm is far better than Tireless Fist.

Amnoriath
2018-09-28, 07:49 PM
Also when you can choose this realistically a monk might at most have a 16 in wisdom. As such it may start at +3 damage while forcing them to use 1d4 fists. Considering that a monk could hold a quarterstaff in two hands(1d8) and let go to punch or use another body part for martial arts or flurry of blows it is underwhelming as a once per long rest ability.