PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Combat Feats

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-27, 08:44 PM
Agile Fistfighter
You are a master of fighting without armor or weapons.

You gain +1 Dex.
Your unarmed attacks gain the Finesse tag, and deal 1d4 damage
When not wearing armor or carrying a shield, your base AC becomes 13+Dex.

Blade Mastery
When wielding a shortsword, longsword, scimitar, greatsword, or rapier, you may take one of the following stances each turn:

Parrying Stance: When you are hit by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to roll 1d4 and add it to your AC against that attack, potentially turning the hit into a miss.
Aggressive Stance: Your first attack each round deals an extra 1d4 damage.
Opportunistic Stance: When making opportunity attacks, you may roll 1d4 and add it to your attack roll

Bowman
When wielding a long or shortbow, you may use your bow as an improvised melee weapon with the Finesse tag, dealing 1d4 damage (for a shortbow) or 1d6 (for a longbow). In addition, you may use the following abilities as bonus actions:
Far Shot: You may over-draw your bow. The next bow attack you make before the end of your turn ignores disadvantage for firing at long range.
Manyshot: You may notch an extra arrow. The next bow attack you make before the end of your turn deals an extra die of weapon damage.
Precise Shot: You may take an extra second to aim. The next bow attack you make before the end of your turn ignores half and three-quarters cover.

Cleave

You gain +1 Str or Dex
On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.
If you hit an opponent with a melee weapon, you may use a bonus action to make a second melee attack against a creature who is both within your reach and adjacent to the original target. If you hit, you deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Fell Handed
When wielding an axe or a bludgeoning weapon, you gain the following benefits:

If you reduce an enemy’s hit points to zero, you may make an additional melee attack as a bonus action.
Whenever you have Advantage on a melee attack roll and hit with both dice, you can knock the target prone if it is no more than one size larger than you.
Whenever you have Disadvantage on a melee attack roll and hit with just one die, the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Fighting Style
You've trained and practiced the combat arts extensively.

Increase your Str, Dex, or Con by 1
Choose one Fighting Style from the Fighter list

Flail Mastery
When wielding a flail or whip, you gain the following benefits:

As a bonus action, you may extend your reach by 5 feet until the start of your next turn.
If you use a Shove action and knock the target prone, you may immediate make a melee attack against them as a free action.
You may treat whips as though they were Light weapons dealing 1d6 damage, and flails as though they were Versatile weapons dealing 1d8 (1d10) damage.

Spear Mastery
When wielding a spear, glaive, or pike, you gain the following benefits

Your target provokes attacks of opportunity for entering your threatened range. If they took a Dash action or moved at least 20ft before doing so, they take an extra die of weapon damage
When wielding a spear, its damage die increases by one step-- 1d8 if being wielded in one hand, and 1d10 if being wielded in two.
As a bonus action, you may attack with the butt of your weapon, dealing 1d4+Str damage.

Throwing Mastery

You've mastered the art of throwing knives, axes, and anything else you can imagine. When using a thrown weapon, you gain the following benefits
Double the range of thrown weapons
Do not take Disadvantage for attacking with a thrown weapon when an enemy is within 5ft.
You may draw a thrown weapon as part of the same action you use to attack with it.
You may draw and throw a light thrown weapon as a bonus action, so long as you have at least one free hand

War Slinger
When wielding a sling, you gain the following benefits:

Increase the sling's damage die to 1d8
You may load and fire a sling without needing a free hand.
After successfully striking a target with your sling, you may cause the stone to ricochet. Make a second attack against a target within 10ft of the original; on a hit, you deal damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Weapon Master
You have practiced extensively with a variety of weapons, gaining the following benefits:

Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
Pick four simple or martial weapons. You gain proficiency with them, if you were not proficient already. Twice per short rest, when attacking with one of your chosen weapons, you may roll 1d6 and add that value to the attack and damage roll.

Bannan_mantis
2018-09-28, 07:12 AM
I feel the last ability for flail mastery should be changed a bit, 1d6 whip is good but there should be something for using a flail instead of a whip as well. Flail's were designed to be effective against shields so maybe a ability based around that? random suggestion and I can understand if it's not that helpful

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 07:30 AM
Bowman
When wielding a long or shortbow, you gain the following benefits:

You may use your bow as an improvised melee weapon with the Finesse tag, dealing 1d4 damage (for a shortbow) or 1d6 (for a longbow)
As a bonus action and/or reaction, you may notch an extra arrow. The next shot you fire that turn has half the normal range, but deals an extra die of weapon damage.

For the last bullet if you are going to make it a reaction, you need what it is a reaction to. Personally I would just make it a bonus action and ignore the reaction entirely (it doesn't seem to make a lot of sens to me).

Fell Handed
When wielding an axe or a bludgeoning weapon, you gain the following benefits:

If you reduce an enemy’s hit points to zero, you may make an additional melee attack as a bonus action.
Whenever you have Advantage on a melee attack roll and hit with both dice, you can knock the target prone
Whenever you have Disadvantage on a melee attack roll and hit with just one die, the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.”

Advantage ability - You need a DC on this to resist. Being able to knock them prone flat out is to powerful.

Flail Mastery
When wielding a flail or whip, you gain the following benefits:

As a bonus action, you may extend your reach by 5 feet until the start of your next turn.
If you use a Shove action and knock the target prone, you may immediate make a melee attack against them as a free action.
Whip damage die increased to 1d6.

Flail does need something here. I would do whip damage increase to 1d6, Flail gains the versatile (1d10) property.

Spear Mastery
When wielding a spear, glaive, or pike, you gain the following benefits

Your target provokes attacks of opportunity for entering your threatened range. If they took a Dash action or moved at least 20ft before doing so, they take an extra die of weapon damage
When wielding a spear, its damage die increases by one step
As a bonus action, you may attack with the butt of your weapon, dealing 1d4+Str damage.

Does the versatile damage die increase as well?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-28, 09:54 AM
I feel the last ability for flail mastery should be changed a bit, 1d6 whip is good but there should be something for using a flail instead of a whip as well. Flail's were designed to be effective against shields so maybe a ability based around that? random suggestion and I can understand if it's not that helpful
Yeah, fair. Hmm.

For the last bullet if you are going to make it a reaction, you need what it is a reaction to. Personally I would just make it a bonus action and ignore the reaction entirely (it doesn't seem to make a lot of sens to me).
The reaction was in there so that you could use it with Extra Attack. Though I guess 2d8 for a bonus action is... hmm. 2d10+d4+12 (25.5) for Polearm Master vs 3d6+12 (22.5) for Crossbow Master or standard dual-wielding vs 4d8+8 (26) (for Bowman) isn't too far off... but PAM is a bit overtuned...

Yeah, I'll take the reaction part out entirely.

Advantage ability - You need a DC on this to resist. Being able to knock them prone flat out is to powerful.
You think? You have to have Advantage (not guaranteed) and to hit with both attacks (also not guaranteed). If my math is right, you have a 60% chance of hitting with each swing, meaning about a 36% chance of hitting with both; that's pretty on par with a single hit and a failed save (call it 30%; it's hard to get average save values so I'm defaulting to 50-50).

Flail does need something here. I would do whip damage increase to 1d6, Flail gains the versatile (1d10) property.
That's not a bad call.

Does the versatile damage die increase as well?
Yes--will specify.

Also added the rest of my feat houserules.

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 12:17 PM
Yeah, fair. Hmm.

You think? You have to have Advantage (not guaranteed) and to hit with both attacks (also not guaranteed). If my math is right, you have a 60% chance of hitting with each swing, meaning about a 36% chance of hitting with both; that's pretty on par with a single hit and a failed save (call it 30%; it's hard to get average save values so I'm defaulting to 50-50).

Okay, completely missed that you needed to roll a hit on both dice there to knock prone. I would need to see how it works in practice, but it probably is fine.

Blackbando
2018-09-29, 02:45 PM

Do keep in mind that there are creatures which could resist the save due to having a high Strength score, but have low AC, due to a low Dexterity score and not the greatest natural armor. Additionally, as of how it is right now, you could knock the Tarrasque prone; of course, you'd have to be rolling either exceptionally well or have some kind of bonus to both (War Cleric or Bard would grant a bonus that'd mean it'd be fairly likely, I'd say), but it still is a little bit crazy, and there are other Gargantuan creatures with lower ACs that it's more likely on, so, I'd personally make it only Large or smaller.

JNAProductions
2018-09-29, 03:02 PM
Why is it wrong for a Fighter to knock a big dude prone? Unrealistic, maybe. But awesome.

And if we’re gonna talk realism, square cube law.

Blackbando
2018-09-29, 05:13 PM
I've no quarrel with the realism aspect, it's just that almost every non-spell effect a PC can do can't knock creatures above Large prone; compare it to battlemaster's Trip Attack, which also is spending a resource, while this is not.

JNAProductions
2018-09-29, 06:11 PM
I've no quarrel with the realism aspect, it's just that almost every non-spell effect a PC can do can't knock creatures above Large prone; compare it to battlemaster's Trip Attack, which also is spending a resource, while this is not.

I'd say that's a reason to change them, not this.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-29, 06:38 PM
I'd say that's a reason to change them, not this.
While I definitely agree overall, there's also something to be said for consistency.

... Though come to think of it, a series of "Epic [ability]" feats that require a score of 20 could be fun...

nickl_2000
2018-09-30, 08:28 AM
While I definitely agree overall, there's also something to be said for consistency.

... Though come to think of it, a series of "Epic [ability]" feats that require a score of 20 could be fun...

Agreed, must be level 15+ and have 20 in a stat. It would be great. Although I really miss the feat trees from 3.5 so maybe I'm not the best to make this decision

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-01, 01:02 PM
Added the limit to Fell Handed, and added a revised Weapon Master feat that might, hopefully, be worth taking.

Xyrz
2018-10-01, 05:56 PM
Agile Fistfighter
You are a master of fighting without armor or weapons.
You gain +1 Dex.
Your unarmed attacks gain the Finesse tag, and deal 1d4 damage
When not wearing armor or carrying a shield, your base AC becomes 13+Dex.

I am trying to think about what class would actually benefit from this feat. A monk already gets the Martial Arts and Unarmored Defense features. And most martial classes benefit better with armor and using a weapon. Draconic Sorcerers basically get this already. Maybe the Wizard? You don't need Mage Armor anymore and you can punch a guy with your free hand, but I would rather be looking at feats like War Caster or Resilient (CON) for a Wizard.

Am I missing something here?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-01, 06:53 PM
I am trying to think about what class would actually benefit from this feat. A monk already gets the Martial Arts and Unarmored Defense features. And most martial classes benefit better with armor and using a weapon. Draconic Sorcerers basically get this already. Maybe the Wizard? You don't need Mage Armor anymore and you can punch a guy with your free hand, but I would rather be looking at feats like War Caster or Resilient (CON) for a Wizard.

Am I missing something here?
It's an archetype-enabling feat-- Tavern Brawler lets you play a Str-brawler, this lets you play a Dex-brawler without needing a Monk dip and a high Wisdom.

Xyrz
2018-10-01, 07:30 PM
It's an archetype-enabling feat-- Tavern Brawler lets you play a Str-brawler, this lets you play a Dex-brawler without needing a Monk dip and a high Wisdom.

Ok, that makes some sense.

I guess I was looking at it from a purely mechanical perspective, as opposed to a RP flavor perspective.

Now I am thinking it might be a good and flavorful choice for a Rogue or maybe even a Bard that gets him/herself into some trouble in the streets or at a tavern.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-01, 08:08 PM
Ok, that makes some sense.

I guess I was looking at it from a purely mechanical perspective, as opposed to a RP flavor perspective.

Now I am thinking it might be a good and flavorful choice for a Rogue or maybe even a Bard that gets him/herself into some trouble in the streets or at a tavern.
If you're looking from a purely optimization standpoint...? Monk/Rogue multiclass-- it explicitly makes your fists finesse, meaning Sneak Attack. Also good for anyone who wants to dip Monk but doesn't have much Wisdom.

Xyrz
2018-10-01, 08:23 PM
If you're looking from a purely optimization standpoint...? Monk/Rogue multiclass-- it explicitly makes your fists finesse, meaning Sneak Attack. Also good for anyone who wants to dip Monk but doesn't have much Wisdom.

That's a fair point. It would trigger Sneak Attack so that could definitely be an option for sure.

Lord Von Becker
2018-10-06, 07:53 PM
On grounds of both realism and coolness, I don't like that bows do less damage in melee, if you can get them to hit, than at range. I like the rest of the list, though.
Could I persuade you to do a sling fix? If I've heard correctly they can hit on par with large pistols, so it's weird that D&D has them do less damage-per-hit than a shortbow. Then again, that might be outside the scope of this thread.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-06, 08:32 PM
On grounds of both realism and coolness, I don't like that bows do less damage in melee, if you can get them to hit, than at range. I like the rest of the list, though.
Could I persuade you to do a sling fix? If I've heard correctly they can hit on par with large pistols, so it's weird that D&D has them do less damage-per-hit than a shortbow. Then again, that might be outside the scope of this thread.
The idea wasn't that you were shooting at point-blank range-- it's that you were whacking them with your bow. It's mostly fluffy; the meat of the feat is the bonus action +1d8 damage.

...which I realize isn't fantastic. Maybe worth adding another maneuver or two-- bonus action to overdraw and extend range, or to aim carefully and ignore cover, maybe.

As for a sling feat... that's not a bad idea.

UPDATE: Tweaked Bowman and added a "War Slinger" feat.

Lord Von Becker
2018-10-15, 10:21 AM
The idea wasn't that you were shooting at point-blank range-- it's that you were whacking them with your bow. It's mostly fluffy; the meat of the feat is the bonus action +1d8 damage.

...which I realize isn't fantastic. Maybe worth adding another maneuver or two-- bonus action to overdraw and extend range, or to aim carefully and ignore cover, maybe.
I just really like point-blank ranged attacks, and wish there were mechanically-advantageous ways to get them. The new options are cool, though.

War Slinger
When wielding a sling, you gain the following benefits:

Increase the sling's damage die to 1d8
You may load and fire a sling without needing a free hand.
After successfully striking a target with your sling, you may cause the stone to ricochet. Make a second attack against a target within 10ft of the original; on a hit, you deal damage equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Neat! Does this let you ignore the Loading property and therefore scale it with multiattack?

Blackbando
2018-10-15, 11:10 AM
Neat! Does this let you ignore the Loading property and therefore scale it with multiattack?

Slings don't have the Loading property; they have the Ammunition property.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-16, 07:13 AM
I just really like point-blank ranged attacks, and wish there were mechanically-advantageous ways to get them. The new options are cool, though.
That's what the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style is for! My rebalanced version reads:

Close Quarters Shooter: You don't suffer disadvantage when making ranged attacks while within 5ft of an enemy, and your ranged attacks ignore half and three-quarters cover against enemies within 30ft.

Slings don't have the Loading property; they have the Ammunition property.
Yep!