PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ranger/Rogue.../fighter?

Theocules
2018-09-27, 09:01 PM
My Character idea is this:

Starting level is 7

**Important to note my DM to encourage everyone to avoid var human is letting us start with a bonus feat with any race**
Race: Drow (I'm actually excited to RP the sunlight sensitivity and have 120ft of nightvision combined with the Drow spells.... awesome)
Prefered Weapon: Longbow
Starting feat: Elven Accuracy (Bumps me to 18 Dex as well as the triple roll on advantage attacks)

Starting level: Fighter 1 for the saving Str and Con saving throw proficiency and the immediate +2 to hit with ranged from Archery fighting style

Level 2-6: Ranger 1-5, Close Quarters Shooter (everything I need from not taking crossbow expert) Gloomstalker, Sharpshooter as the feat at Ranger 4, Extra attack at Ranger 5

Level 7-8: Rogue 1-2, this is mainly for expertise to bolster my stealth and perception but even 1d6 per round is a welcome damage boost, plus we have another Rogue so Thieves Cant would be nice and something to do with my bonus actions besides second wind.

Level 9-11 Fighter 2-4, Action Surge, Champion (double chance to crit combined with advantage on attacks in darkness from gloomstalker which gives me 3 rolls per attack, that's a lot of chances to crit and even if I don't I'm almost gauranteed to hit with a bonus to hit of +11 (3[Prof] + 4[Dex] + 2[Archery] + 1[Close Quarters Shooter]... even using sharpshooter every attack I'm still going to hit almost every attack, fighter 4 = ASI so now 20 dex...

Level 12-20: Rogue 3-11, Now I start increasing my sneak attack damage combined with the chances to crit and being basically invisible (I know only at night, part of the fun). Assassin for the added crits first round, all ASIs for stats after getting 20 dex and will go into WIS

Ranger spells are still being decided.

I plan to stay back far enough that I completely avoid most enemies while they're distracted by the rest of my party and I snipe.

I feel like this build covers a lot of bases, the bonus to hit is huge throughout, the plus 10 damage from sharpshooter is going to be well used. Can hit close enemies with no issues, cover not really an issue, spells to keep things a little interesting, a lot of RP potential, constantly changing and exciting dynamics (all the lower level skills that synergize well)

Am I missing something? anything to add? anything I'm missing?

CTurbo
2018-09-27, 10:40 PM
Yes this is a great concept mechanically. I've had an extremely similar character and it works great.

Fighter 2, Ranger 5+. Rogue 5+ make THE best archers IMO and definitely the best sniper. The Assassin/Gloom Stalker combination is nearly broken. Throw in Action Surge and you'll have 6 full attacks in your first round. It's really easy to use Assassinate from a distance and SS makes it even easier.

Gloom Stalker also works great with Scout too. Not as great of a first turn but probably more consistent than Assassin.

Hunter/Scout also works extremely well.

Specter
2018-09-28, 08:38 AM
I would go Fighter 2/Rogue 7/Ranger 11, simply to get Stalker's Flurry one day (it has great synergy with Sharpshooter).

Theocules
2018-09-28, 10:12 AM
I would go Fighter 2/Rogue 7/Ranger 11, simply to get Stalker's Flurry one day (it has great synergy with Sharpshooter).

6 levels into ranger to be able to have an attempt at redoing a missed shot? And I'm going to quickly have a +11 or 12 to hit combined with basically perma advantage at night which actually gives me the ability to roll 3 dice to hit with Elven accuracy. I don't see how sacrificing everything in the rogue tree is worth that tbh

Specter
2018-09-28, 10:36 AM
6 levels into ranger to be able to have an attempt at redoing a missed shot? And I'm going to quickly have a +11 or 12 to hit combined with basically perma advantage at night which actually gives me the ability to roll 3 dice to hit with Elven accuracy. I don't see how sacrificing everything in the rogue tree is worth that tbh

Oh no, not only that. You also get the 7th level feature and 3rd-level spells (I'm personally a big fan of Protection from Energy and Lightning Arrow). And slots, of course.

And don't underestimate that reroll, it gives you a lot of freedom to -5.