PDA

View Full Version : Optimization strength ranger/cleric

n00b
2018-09-27, 09:49 PM
Looking to make a strength based Ranger/Cleric using a great weapon and would like input.

My target is really Ranger 5/Cleric up to maybe 9 or so, after that I'm open to suggestions. Gloom Stalker is the preferred Ranger archetype but I'm undecided on a Domain for Cleric. Not concerned at all with stealth so ideally I'd be wearing heavy armor. Not opposed to starting at level 1 as Fighter for the proficiency and saves either, eventually taking level 2 at some point as well.

Looking for race and feat suggestions. Also we're planning on going to 20 so if any other dips make this stronger that's great too.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Foxhound438
2018-09-27, 10:22 PM
though "forge ranger" is a bit thematically weird, you could probably do well with forge domain's assorted AC bonuses.

If by "using a great weapon" you mean to take the feat Great Weapon Master, probably take 13 levels in gloom stalker. Iron mind at 7 is pretty good if you start in ranger, stalker's flurry lets you make a 3rd attack if one misses (more likely with GWM's attack), and at 13th you can pick up guardian of nature for easy advantage on attacks with strength.

On that note, did you have any specific ideas in mind for cleric spells? Holy Weapon would probably be pretty nuts if you chose to take polearm master, since you get to add the 2d8 to an additional attack every turn past the first.

CTurbo
2018-09-27, 10:27 PM
Firbolg Hunter Ranger 5/War Cleric 15 start 16 Str, 15 Con, 16 Wis

Take Defense Style and wear heavy armor for 19 AC. Use a Maul. Take Colossus Slayer at level 3. Take +2 Str, +2 Wis, Res(Con), GWM, and Sentinel in any order.

You would get 3 attacks most rounds, a 4 attacks on some. You'd deal an extra 2d8 on any one attack and an extra d8 on any one attack and they can be combined. Your reaction attack with Sentinel would deal an extra 3d8 every time.

OracularPoet
2018-09-28, 12:59 AM
To multiclass ranger you need 13 Dex. Means Str based ranger/cleric will need high Str and probably high Wis too, plus non-trivial Con and Dex scores.

n00b
2018-09-28, 07:44 AM
To multiclass ranger you need 13 Dex. Means Str based ranger/cleric will need high Str and probably high Wis too, plus non-trivial Con and Dex scores.

Yes, I am aware of that.

n00b
2018-09-28, 07:48 AM
though "forge ranger" is a bit thematically weird, you could probably do well with forge domain's assorted AC bonuses.

If by "using a great weapon" you mean to take the feat Great Weapon Master, probably take 13 levels in gloom stalker. Iron mind at 7 is pretty good if you start in ranger, stalker's flurry lets you make a 3rd attack if one misses (more likely with GWM's attack), and at 13th you can pick up guardian of nature for easy advantage on attacks with strength.

On that note, did you have any specific ideas in mind for cleric spells? Holy Weapon would probably be pretty nuts if you chose to take polearm master, since you get to add the 2d8 to an additional attack every turn past the first.

That's pretty darn cool. One of the reasons I want to use Cleric. They get some pretty neat spells and I've never had one so I figure it's about time.

Specter
2018-09-28, 10:38 AM
When in doubt, War. It gives you Divine Favor and some extra attacks based on your Wisdom.

n00b
2018-09-28, 11:42 AM
Since it's GWM that I'm looking for would being an Elf of some sort and using the Revenant Blade and taking the feat for it satisfy that? I don't pretend to know a lot about it but I think I have that right? Then I could just go back to being a Dex Ranger and dump Strength if I wanted.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-28, 12:12 PM
That would work just fine. Just remember that the Revenant Blade isn't an official item and to talk with your DM before you assume it's available.

If it IS available, and you're planning on going into a Dex build anyway, you could rock the Death Cleric from the DMG. It gets martial weapons, and deals a ton of damage. Plus, it'd look really cool to be a "grim reaper" using a Revenant Blade that killed things in a single blow (Death Cleric level 2 gets +5 + 2xCleric Level damage on top of a weapon attack).
Maximize on Dexterity to improve your moderate defenses, and it'd be a terrifying character to be against.

n00b
2018-09-28, 12:46 PM
That would work just fine. Just remember that the Revenant Blade isn't an official item and to talk with your DM before you assume it's available.

If it IS available, and you're planning on going into a Dex build anyway, you could rock the Death Cleric from the DMG. It gets martial weapons, and deals a ton of damage. Plus, it'd look really cool to be a "grim reaper" using a Revenant Blade that killed things in a single blow (Death Cleric level 2 gets +5 + 2xCleric Level damage on top of a weapon attack).
Maximize on Dexterity to improve your moderate defenses, and it'd be a terrifying character to be against.

Oh, hrm. I didn't realize it was not official. That would be a maybe/maybe not decision. Up to my DM obviously. But I will talk to him. :)

McSkrag
2018-09-28, 01:03 PM

Take Defense Style and wear heavy armor for 19 AC. Use a Maul. Take Colossus Slayer at level 3. Take +2 Str, +2 Wis, Res(Con), GWM, and Sentinel in any order.

You would get 3 attacks most rounds, a 4 attacks on some. You'd deal an extra 2d8 on any one attack and an extra d8 on any one attack and they can be combined. Your reaction attack with Sentinel would deal an extra 3d8 every time.

I love the concept of a Firbolg warrior priest of the wilds. I don't see a lot of Firbolg characters but I've always thought they would be super fun for RP with their racial abilities.

Also, the mechanics for this build are super solid.

n00b
2018-09-28, 01:35 PM

This is very solid. Like it a lot. Thanks!

Citan
2018-09-29, 07:25 AM
Looking to make a strength based Ranger/Cleric using a great weapon and would like input.

My target is really Ranger 5/Cleric up to maybe 9 or so, after that I'm open to suggestions. Gloom Stalker is the preferred Ranger archetype but I'm undecided on a Domain for Cleric. Not concerned at all with stealth so ideally I'd be wearing heavy armor. Not opposed to starting at level 1 as Fighter for the proficiency and saves either, eventually taking level 2 at some point as well.

Looking for race and feat suggestions. Also we're planning on going to 20 so if any other dips make this stronger that's great too.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Hi! You have several ways to go. :)

When in doubt, War. It gives you Divine Favor and some extra attacks based on your Wisdom.
Wut? Seriously? You should know better considering your post history really...

OP is talking about a...
1. Strength guy with big two-handed sword, meaning
- getting and keeping enemies into melee range is priority.
- and possibly wanting to get GWM feat later (so you need as much accuracy as you can to use the -5+10 thing).

2.That will mix Cleric (Bless, Heroism, Shield of Faith at low level, Spirit Guardians at higher level)...

3. And Ranger (Hunter's Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Pass Without Trace, Zephyr's Strike, Healing Spirit, Lightning Arrow -works with thrown weapons).

Why the hell would such a character want to bother himself with a Domain that would grant him just...
- One concentration spell he will probably never use (so many great concentration spells already), that is only situationally better than Hunter's Mark in the first place (better against crowds, strictly worse against few guys)
- And a few bonus action attacks per long rest, which is nice, but as a Cleric AND as a Ranger you have so many uses for bonus action anyways, plus the occasional ones from GWM feat OR permanent ones from potential PAM).

War is like the worst domain for this guy.

@OP.
Domain synergizing:
- Life: heavy armor? Check. Besides that, the main benefit is making Life Goodberries or better Healing Words. And later be the great party healer with Life Healing Spirit.
- Tempest: heavy armor? Check. Besides that, the main thing is that Tempest spells are overall very good, gives you a solid AOE to help against crowds (Shatter), and provided you plan on getting up to Ranger 9, a maximized Lightning Arrow may be nice too.
- Forge: nothing real fancy, but all solid features and spells to improve your "melee heavy Ranger concept". Plus you get Wall of Fire at higher level which is always nice to have.

Specter
2018-09-29, 09:40 AM
Hi! You have several ways to go. :)

Wut? Seriously? You should know better considering your post history really...

OP is talking about a...
1. Strength guy with big two-handed sword, meaning
- getting and keeping enemies into melee range is priority.
- and possibly wanting to get GWM feat later (so you need as much accuracy as you can to use the -5+10 thing).

2.That will mix Cleric (Bless, Heroism, Shield of Faith at low level, Spirit Guardians at higher level)...

3. And Ranger (Hunter's Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Pass Without Trace, Zephyr's Strike, Healing Spirit, Lightning Arrow -works with thrown weapons).

Why the hell would such a character want to bother himself with a Domain that would grant him just...
- One concentration spell he will probably never use (so many great concentration spells already), that is only situationally better than Hunter's Mark in the first place (better against crowds, strictly worse against few guys)
- And a few bonus action attacks per long rest, which is nice, but as a Cleric AND as a Ranger you have so many uses for bonus action anyways, plus the occasional ones from GWM feat OR permanent ones from potential PAM).

War is like the worst domain for this guy.

@OP.
Domain synergizing:
- Life: heavy armor? Check. Besides that, the main benefit is making Life Goodberries or better Healing Words. And later be the great party healer with Life Healing Spirit.
- Tempest: heavy armor? Check. Besides that, the main thing is that Tempest spells are overall very good, gives you a solid AOE to help against crowds (Shatter), and provided you plan on getting up to Ranger 9, a maximized Lightning Arrow may be nice too.
- Forge: nothing real fancy, but all solid features and spells to improve your "melee heavy Ranger concept". Plus you get Wall of Fire at higher level which is always nice to have.

1) Precisely because there are so many bonus action spells, you don't want to waste your bonus action just shifting from foe to foe as with Hunter's Mark.

2) By 'a couple attacks', I assume you mean 3 at first level, and 5 when you max Wisdom. With two short rests in a day, that's 15 extra attacks. An 11th-level fighter gets 9 extra attacks using three Action Surges. No further explanation needed.

3) I'm not even considering the other spells the domain gets, which are all good. Crusader's Mantle (+1d4 for all attacks you and your friends make) and Magic Weapon (a buff on damage and the to-hit, essential for GWM) by themselves make the choice worthwhile.

n00b
2018-09-29, 10:31 AM
I do like a lot of things about War Cleric. I do wonder about things competing for the bonus action though.

Daghoulish
2018-09-29, 11:39 AM
1)By 'a couple attacks', I assume you mean 3 at first level, and 5 when you max Wisdom. With two short rests in a day, that's 15 extra attacks. An 11th-level fighter gets 9 extra attacks using three Action Surges. No further explanation needed.

War Priest comes back on a long rest not a short rest. It also requires the attack action to be used first so no spells then using War Priest for a bonus action attack.

Specter
2018-09-29, 01:27 PM
War Priest comes back on a long rest not a short rest. It also requires the attack action to be used first so no spells then using War Priest for a bonus action attack.

Wow, that makes it much worse. But the rest is still good.

Citan
2018-09-30, 02:38 AM
1) Precisely because there are so many bonus action spells, you don't want to waste your bonus action just shifting from foe to foe as with Hunter's Mark.

2) By 'a couple attacks', I assume you mean 3 at first level, and 5 when you max Wisdom. With two short rests in a day, that's 15 extra attacks. An 11th-level fighter gets 9 extra attacks using three Action Surges. No further explanation needed.

3) I'm not even considering the other spells the domain gets, which are all good. Crusader's Mantle (+1d4 for all attacks you and your friends make) and Magic Weapon (a buff on damage and the to-hit, essential for GWM) by themselves make the choice worthwhile.
Yeah, that's what I said. Sorry but you didn't think this through.

1. You completely missed the point, it's not just "so many bonus action spells", it's : so many CONCENTRATION SPELLS + so many DIFFERENT BONUS ACTIONS.
If OP wants damage, there are Ensnaring Strike (one bonus action, holds fight), Spiritual Weapon (one cast, holds fight), Healing Words (one bonus action), possibly PAM's bonus action. Or holding Hunter's Mark.

But for concentration, there are Bless, Ensnaring Strike, Zephyr's Strike, Shield of Faith, Spirit Guardians and possibly Healing Spirit in addition to Hunter's Mark already competing for concentration in fight.

Divine Favor is completely useless because a) it takes concentration and b)
- As far as "improving general efficiency through damage buff" goes, Bless is far better choice as a concentration spell because it transforms hits into misses, also helps your resilience, and also affect friends.

- As far as "improving general efficiency through reach" goes, Zephyr's Strike is the best: when you are fighting in crowds or with speedy enemies, being free to move without OA and having a 10 feet bonus means there are many creatures you can hit that would normally be out of reach. So it's another kind of "enhancing chance to hit".

- As far as "improving specific efficiency against one or two big guys", Hunter's Mark is overall better because its die is twice the size and since used primarily against dangerous targets their HP should be enough for you to not have to move the mark every turn. So you still have bonus action available for some emergency Healing Words / Sanctuary for example, or an extra attack from PAM. In other words, Hunter's Mark is still usable when you have strong competition for bonus action, it's just that you use it only on targets that can sustain several rounds of hits or when your other sources of bonus action have depleted.

And all of this becomes kinda obsolete once OP's character will get Spirit Guardians from level 5 Cleric which helps in all three areas at once, although in a different way, since guys in area have lesser movement (so easier to keep them in your reach) and damage on failed save that does not target AC. Plus you can also prone them into the area to get the "improve efficiency" aspect. Plus it also means less guys will try and get into melee reach by themselves, so it protects character too.

Divine Favor would be worth if it didn't take concentration.

2. Nope. Those bonus action recharge ON A LONG REST.
So 3 per day at first, and 5 probably around level 12 (because OP from what I remember wants a feat).

3. Nope. Again, those spells are not "good enough". Confer previous point, there are many concentration spells for self-buffing already.
Magic Weapon especially is extremely lackluster for that character because by the time it gets it, he would probably have one magic weapon already.
Crusader's Mantle is not worth using compared to Spirit Guardians unless you are in a melee heavy party, all clamped together, and fightning non-fire-resistant enemies.
War basically brings nothing interesting for a Ranger/Cleric because it's all about either spells that any Cleric can get or spells that use concentration for a minor buff that can be superceded by other spells.
The only one really nice is Hold Monster but it's Cleric 9, chances are OP would never see it.

Compare to that...
- Life which brings no interesting spells but would make the character an extremely strong healer with Goodberries and Healing Spirit (since the bonus healing is triggered not "when you cast" but "when you use" so works every round of Healing Spirit). So truely bringing out the "Cleric as in healer" part of the character.
- Tempest which shores up two areas in which the character would be normally weak, being AOE (CD Shatter) and control (Fog Cloud, Sleet Storm), for situations when just rushing into melee with sword above head and angels graviting around is not enough or simply possible.
- Forge which brings non-concentration/no-slot buffs to AC and weapon, also provides one of the best offensive (although situational) spells with Heat Metal, the aforementioned Magic Weapon but more importantly Elemental Weapon, which is much better in that you can use it to play into a creature's weaknesses. Although still very situational in essence compared to the classic and solid Spirit Guardians.
And provided OP gets far enough, Wall of Fire which is a game-changer.

Sorry mate, but your arguments are really too shallow. ^^