PDA

View Full Version : On the Naming of Classes: Martial Leader-Types and Supernatural Aura Projectors

RedWarlock
2018-09-28, 01:52 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble naming a couple classes in this homebrew system I'm writing up. (I'm using the term 'class' in the common sense; in my game, they're called 'paths' and are more like concentrated combat-based power-sets. You're expected to take at least 3 paths per each 10-level chunk, since they are combined in a gestalt fashion. Anyway...)

Most of the other classes come together in a fairly obvious fashion. Each class has multiple 'starter' options, basically feats/powers that set the class-variant/archetype. For instance, amongst the martial types, I've got the Brawler as a martial controller (uses trips/grabs/throws, as well as larger-effective threat areas, to control the battlefield), the Handler who controls beasts or rides them, the Slayer who deals excessive damage (though either sneak attacks or a rage mechanic), a Sniper who handles ranged attacks, and a Defender who guards allies, parries attack against itself, or has the iron will to ignore/break magical effects in an entirely mundane fashion.

Specifically, I've also got a leader/warlord/marshal type who has three options: two command-word based types, one who inspires/boosts his allies, another who insults/demeans/debuffs his enemies, and a third who basically has a swarm of NPC followers who act like a permanent AoE in an abstract fashion. I've referred to it as a Leader, a Tyrant, or other various names, but coming up with a good term that fits all three versions, but doesn't actually infer a rank or position in a hierarchy, is proving difficult.

For examples, here are all the primary spellcasting classes. Mesmerist (illusions and telepathy and psychic blasts), Nomad (teleporting and portals), Summoner (temporary summons and magical constructs, including undead), Transmuter (magical augmentation and polymorph), Vitalist (positive/negative energy), Shaper (conjuring solid or energy structures, or using telekinetic/shifting landscape). These classes all get access to a rather extensive spell-construction system which can be combined together for an extensive nigh-infinite range of effects.

Then there's the supernatural hybrid classes, who usually tend towards less-complex than the primary casters. Blaster (energy damage, melee or ranged), Bonded (animal/familiar/magical-etc companion), Hexer (offensive combat magic, cursed attacks, teleport-strikes, stealing buffs), Shifter (shapeshifting), Warder (defensive combat magic, dispels, armor buffs, weapon buffs).

Then there's the last class, the second one from the title. Leading name right now is the Envoy, but it's also been the Lucent (too positive-sounding), Radiant (which is a damage type, thus avoided), and I don't know what else to try. Basically, it emits supernatural auras, some positive, some negative. The three basic starter options are a healing effect, a draining DoT effect, and a curse effect which causes them to take penalties to actions/attacks. The power the class builds from is a simple action to use, but becomes a free action and at range, turning the effect into an always-active selective-target aura. Think bard/dragon shaman, the more magical end, opposite the warlord/marshal-type guy I mention above.

Both will basically function like aura classes, with different power sources behind their mechanics. Names are the problem, here, though, because they both need to be flexible enough to handle positive and negative inference on the title, since the powersets vary enough. Names should be a single word, 2-3 syllables, and somewhat distinct from more common job-title class names. (A few of the ones above are already a bit on the edge, or even a bit too suggestive of D&D concepts, but they still fit. Like for the teleport/portal class, the Nomad vs Traveler, Nomad fits better, I think, because it's more distinctive, but fits on the same thesaurus entry.)

Millstone85
2018-09-28, 02:25 AM
First ideas, the Tactician and the Ardent.

But the latter is from D&D, basically the psionic version of the bard, so you might not want it.

Edit: Then again, you are already using names that are about to make their way into 5e. Nomad (teleportation psion) and shaper (imaginary-friend psion). It is a hard battle.

ShedShadow
2018-09-28, 03:03 AM
Another couple of names you might give a try:
-Channeler
-Battlemaster
-Commander/Commandeer
-Warmaster
-Enthropist(although that sounds a little negative)
-Radiator (that sounds kind of boring actually)
-Manifester
-Energeticist
-Polarizer

That's about my inspirtatiom for now

Millstone85
2018-09-28, 04:59 AM
Another name for lucent/radiant could be the Nimbus.

This evokes both a colorful halo and a gray cloud, fitting the class' buffer/debuffer role.

RoyVG
2018-09-28, 05:02 AM
Based on previous suggestions and your own examples I'm gonna try and throw my hat into the ring

- Warspeaker
- Shaman (probably too generic)
- Maiden (cannot come up with an analogue for males atm.)
- Disciple
- Apostle

RedWarlock
2018-09-29, 02:36 PM
Ardent isn’t... bad, but not great. Tactician, likewise, though it suggests more emphasis on intellect than charisma. (Also, you realize those names have been involved in D&D for at least 18 years, at this point, right? 3rd edition psionics has them, too.)

Channeler, Nimbus, also not bad..

Commander is a little too on the nose. One of the background skills (and martial ability schools) is called Leadership, and an ability type (alongside strike, stance, etc) is called a command. I can have a slayer who uses strikes, but not a striker.

I guess I can clarify that I’m also setting up the path names as what-they-do-er (shaper, blaster, defender, etc) or major-feature descriptors (bonded), as well. Stuff like Disciple, Shaman, etc actually slot better to my origin/background system (which determines which paths you get access to), and actually already exist in my documents.

I’m also only using single-word names, so no forced nounverber names, either. (You’re already going to be describing a character build as an X/Y/Z, I’d rather keep them simple.)

Nifft
2018-09-30, 03:16 AM
I’m also only using single-word names, so no forced nounverber names, either.

/me quietly hides Warverber behind my back

Pleh
2018-09-30, 09:10 AM
For the Leader type, why not Reeve? Historically, it was a title for basically Mayors that worked for the Crown, but it's also the root for our modern Sheriff (Shire Reeve). The basic meaning came to be "overseer of the peasants" which is similar to your NPC AoE idea.

I'd recommend customizing the social aspects so that a Reeve has unique meaning in your game.

ShedShadow
2018-10-03, 04:09 PM
Got some more:

Taskmaster
Inspirer(inspirationist?)
Divider
Chaot
Organizer(that sounds like a personal secretary)
Mindfiller
Director
Directivist
Sapper
Leecher
Locus

paddyfool
2018-10-04, 12:31 PM
More suggestions for the first (some stolen from other games):
- Officer
- Boss
- Captain
- Pointman
- Ringleader
- Noble

As for the second, what power source are you thinking might be behind these auras? Because the vibe to me is very "Holy man" e.g. Prophet / Saint / Chosen. But if you're going for a nonspecific source, inclusive of arcane, psionic, power of music etc, then... Beacon? Emitter? Shroud? Evoker? (Although that might cause confusion with blasters).
The previously mentioned Shaman might work either way.

RedWarlock
2018-10-04, 08:40 PM
I’ll go back and highlight the ones I liked above later (on mobile right now), but the power source is very agnostic, as it can be attached to any source. The supernatural/caster classes have a power-source feat (usually provided by the origin) as a prerequisite.

Concept-wise, the supernatural aura class sits in the space of a breath-weapon-less dragon shaman, or a paladin minus the martial component and the direct spellcasting.

Edit: Added my critique of the prior:

For the Leader type, why not Reeve? Historically, it was a title for basically Mayors that worked for the Crown, but it's also the root for our modern Sheriff (Shire Reeve). The basic meaning came to be "overseer of the peasants" which is similar to your NPC AoE idea.

I'd recommend customizing the social aspects so that a Reeve has unique meaning in your game.
Classes don't get mentioned in-character, so there's no need to justify a unique meaning. Reeve is definitely.. unique. Noted.

Got some more:

Taskmaster
Inspirer(inspirationist?)
Divider
Chaot
Organizer(that sounds like a personal secretary)
Mindfiller
Director
Directivist
Sapper
Leecher
Locus
None of those really carry the dual nature of each of these classes. It has to be able to handle both sides, unfortunately. Locus is vague enough in terms of being an abstract term, but the actual definition has nothing to do with what the class would do.

More suggestions for the first (some stolen from other games):
- Officer
- Boss
- Captain
- Pointman
- Ringleader
- Noble
Ehh, all a little too plain-named.

As for the second, what power source are you thinking might be behind these auras? Because the vibe to me is very "Holy man" e.g. Prophet / Saint / Chosen. But if you're going for a nonspecific source, inclusive of arcane, psionic, power of music etc, then... Beacon? Emitter? Shroud? Evoker? (Although that might cause confusion with blasters).
The previously mentioned Shaman might work either way.
Emitter is.. definitely neutral enough, for the Aura class. (Evoker is what I'll switch if Blaster winds up TOO blunt.)

So from this batch, Reeve and Emitter are the best culls from the herd..

paddyfool
2018-10-05, 03:27 PM
Glad you found something in that scattershot of ideas. One more idea for the martial leader type: Alpha.