PDA

View Full Version : Am I a creature that I can see?

Camman1984
2018-09-28, 08:58 AM
If the target restrictions state "creatures that you can see and that can see you" can I include myself?

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 09:22 AM
Yes, you can see yourself.

What spell are effect are you talking about so we can look at the exact one to make sure?

Camman1984
2018-09-28, 10:15 AM
The glamour bard ability mantle of inspiration. The fluff descriptive text describes inspiring your allies but the mechanical text just says choose a number of creatures you can see and that can see you.

UrielAwakened
2018-09-28, 10:20 AM
99% sure that isn't designed to work on you.

stoutstien
2018-09-28, 10:32 AM
Well the text would allow it to work on your self. You are a creature within 60 feet that you can see. Hardly overpowered.

UrielAwakened
2018-09-28, 10:34 AM
"As a bonus action, you can expend one use of your Bardic Inspiration to grant yourself a wondrous appearance. When you do so, choose a number of creatures you can see and who can see you within 60 feet of you, up to a number equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). Each of them gains 5 temporary hit points. When a creature gains these temporary hit points, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks."

None of that sounds like it affects you. "Them" and not "those creatures" for instance.

Armored Walrus
2018-09-28, 10:44 AM
"As a bonus action, you can expend one use of your Bardic Inspiration to grant yourself a wondrous appearance. When you do so, choose a number of creatures you can see and who can see you within 60 feet of you, up to a number equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one). Each of them gains 5 temporary hit points. When a creature gains these temporary hit points, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks."

None of that sounds like it affects you. "Them" and not "those creatures" for instance.

On the other hand, here's how Bardic Inspiration is worded: "You can use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you."

Mantle of Inspiration does not spell out "other than yourself." I would rule it can affect the Bard.

stoutstien
2018-09-28, 10:52 AM
spells and effects are worded a number of different ways. Poor editing is to blame. If your going to use "simple" wording it should be consistent. This is solid ask dm territory.

NaughtyTiger
2018-09-28, 10:58 AM
Likewise mass healing word "Up to six creatures you can see regain hit points equal " is accepted to let you heal yourself

Sigreid
2018-09-28, 11:06 AM
I would rule it can work on yourself as you are aware you are magnificent!

Garfunion
2018-09-28, 11:11 AM
“choose a number of creatures you can see and who can see you”
You are a creature and you can look at your hands, feet, chest, and so on. It can target you. Unless you need to see the face, a 360 degrees view of the creature, or states other than you. It will work on you.

You can even target yourself with a fire bolt cantrip, if you wanted to.

guachi
2018-09-28, 11:16 AM
Something I read by, I think, Jeremy Crawford about the design of the Glamour Bard was that it was modeled on, among other people, Freddie Mercury.

Would Freddie Mercury think he was fabulous? I'd like to think so.

Armored Walrus
2018-09-28, 11:26 AM
We don't even need Jeremy Crawford for this. Here's what the PHB says about targeting yourself.

"If a spell Targets a creature of your choice, you can choose yourself, unless the creature must be hostile or specifically a creature other than you. If you are in the area of effect of a spell you cast, you can target yourself."

Granted, that's in the Casting a Spell section, but I think the logic can be easily applied to a class feature as well.