PDA

View Full Version : NPC flaws and fears

stewstew5
2018-09-28, 09:55 AM
I'm playing a Nightmare Spinner (Complete Mage pg. 75) and my Dungeon Master has allotted me a spell that allows me to determine a character's greatest fears, biggest life moments, etc and an ability to quickly determine a character trait/current emotion, but his campaign is huge and I was just wondering if there was anything he could use to make determining these things easier for background NPC's

liquidformat
2018-09-28, 12:13 PM
maybe make charts of common phobias, character traits, emotions, and generic big life moments? They could be as simple as a d4 chart consisting of angry, happy, sad, neutral, or as complicated as a d100 phobia chart (or even say a 5d20 phobia chart to get more focus on certain phobias). That way he can just go through the charts with a couple rolls to give you the different characteristics of random people.

stewstew5
2018-09-29, 12:10 AM
maybe make charts of common phobias, character traits, emotions, and generic big life moments? They could be as simple as a d4 chart consisting of angry, happy, sad, neutral, or as complicated as a d100 phobia chart (or even say a 5d20 phobia chart to get more focus on certain phobias). That way he can just go through the charts with a couple rolls to give you the different characteristics of random people.

this is what i'm thinking of, but are there any easy resources?

Palanan
2018-09-29, 09:50 AM
Take a look at the Pathfinder GameMastery Guide, pages 94-96, which has some tables for rolling up NPC backgrounds and personalities.

There’s also information on phobias, although I can’t find the page numbers right now.

Thurbane
2018-09-30, 04:54 PM
There's a list of phobia here, if it helps: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm