PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Population of Phandolin?

leogobsin
2018-09-28, 10:44 AM
I'm currently DMing a Lost Mine of Phandelver campaign, and long story short the Paladin decided he wanted to run for mayor. I honestly really liked the idea and it feels very true to his character, so I've been running with it. Since he doesn't own any property in Phandalin, I had him need to get a certain number of signatures from landowners willing to endorse him as a candidate (worked out nicely as some extra incentive to do some of the sidequests in Chapter 3). The party just set off for Wave Echo Cave, and before doing so paladin turned in the forms with the necessary signatures, and Harbin Wester explained it would probably take a month or so to get the election set up, so it'll be taking place in some vignette-narrated downtime after Lost Mine and before whatever the party ends up doing next. My plan is to just have him win the election, since he's a pretty likeable guy and has done plenty to help out the town and more than anything else I just like the character and think he deserves this.
So my actual question is this: about how many people do you think would vote in a Phandalin mayoral election? I'd like to give specific numbers of votes, what would be a good ballpark for those number? Looking at the map provided there seem to be 30-ish houses (kind of hard to tell what might be a house vs. a shed or whatever), but I'd probably like it to be more people than just one for each house. I could probably handwave that there are some houses further away than the map but still part of Phandalin (if the players even question if there's a disconnect). Thoughts?

SirGraystone
2018-09-28, 11:30 AM
An average house is probably a couple, children, maybe an elder or relative, some apprentices or workers. Now out of 30 building, probably 1/3 are sheds, barn,... so I would count 20 building x 7 peoples by building for a total of 140 peoples. Add to that the surrounding farms so maybe 250 peoples.

Now the children doesn't vote, of the adults some doesn't care so around 150 would vote.

But I wouldn't just let him win, have him talks to the peoples work for his win. Unless Harbin want to step down.