PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin/Druid build: Not sure where to go

sithlordnergal
2018-09-28, 12:20 PM
Before I ask my question, info on my current build is below

- this is an AL Legal character

- The DM is running Out of the Abyss, and to make things somewhat more interesting we have to hold off one of the weaker Demon Lords for a few rounds

- +1 is Xanathar's

- Half Elf race

- I am level 9, and as such unable to make any changes to my character, their levels are Paladin: 8 / Druid 1

- I went with Oath of the Ancients and will be going Circle of Dreams

- The DM has no issue with the Paladin/Druid using Plate Armor since it is only a taboo, and with the Defense fighting style I have an AC of 21. Shield of Faith from me, and Haste from the Bard give me an AC of 25, and I have a Cloak of Displacement to force Disadvantage on attack rolls.

- Ability scores areas follows:

Str: 15

Dex: 10

Con: 12

Int: 8

Wis: 18

Cha: 14

- My ASIs went to getting Wisdom 18 and Polearm Master

- I use a Shillelagh on a Staff of the Woodlands to have a +2 quarterstaff that deals a d8 of damage as my main weapon

So, I am wondering if I should go with my previous plan of Paladin: 8 / Druid: 12, or if I should go Paladin: 8 / Sorcerer: 1 / Druid: 11.

No matter what build I go with I'll end up with 6th level Druid spells, my third Circle feature, and the spell slots of a 16th level caster. The only thing I'd be giving up is a final ASI at level 20, and in exchange for that I could get Shield, Magic Missile, and several cantrips that could be very helpful. Seeing as I have Polearm Master and Wisdom 18, I'll still have two ASI's left to max out my wisdom and either boost charisma or grab War Caster. If I go full Druid, I'll be able to max out wisdom, grab war caster, and boost charisma to 16, but that 16 charisma boost would be at level 20.

Is it worth it to get an ASI at level 20? Or am I better off snagging Sorcerer to get the Shield spell, that way I can boost my AC potentially to 30 while still forcing disadvantage on all attack rolls thanks to my cloak?

Note: If I did go Sorcerer, I would not be taking any combat cantrips, nor would I take Minor Illusion due to my Charisma being 14. I'd be taking Mage Hand, Mending, Message, and Presdigitation

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 12:36 PM
So it'a AL which makes it a lot harder to plan for what is needed at a table (my impression is that AL is all over the place for who and what classes will show up on a day).

Personally, I would say go your next level as Druid to get emergency healing as a bonus action from a distance. Having two 1d6s should be enough for some yo-yo healing. Plus it gives you wildshape that allows you to go stealthy and scout if need be.

Then 1 level sorcerer.
Gold Draconic seems good for OOtA for fire resistance (But I don't know for sure)
Divine Soul would give you healing work
Shadow would boost your darkvision

You will use shield all the time and not regret that early on. Then you can skip the Cha ASI and focus on wisdom spells being upcast and smites.

sithlordnergal
2018-09-28, 03:35 PM
Well, the good news is that the party is set in stone. The DMs get together about 2 and a half hours before the open house sessions start to play, and we have a Hexblade Warlock, a Lore Bard, a Shadow Monk, and my Paladin/Druid. The Lore Bard tends to take care of healing and buffs, while the Monk and Hexblade do DPS. I'm the front line and the burst damage dealer.

I think I will go Sorcerer, probably Divine Soul.

Vorpalchicken
2018-09-28, 08:47 PM
Polearm Master with staff and shield makes me cringe. Druids wearing metal armor (in AL no less) makes me cringe. It would not be polite of me to tell you where to go.

sithlordnergal
2018-10-01, 01:17 PM
Oh I'm sure all of that does make people cringe. However, it is technically a legal character, since Quarterstaffs can be used in one hand and Polearm Master doesn't require you to use it in two to get the extra d4 attack, and the stuff I have seen says that Druids wearing metal armor is just them breaking a taboo. And if both the player and DM are fine with the taboo being broken, you're able to do it.

Millface
2018-10-01, 01:42 PM
Polearm Master with staff and shield makes me cringe. Druids wearing metal armor (in AL no less) makes me cringe. It would not be polite of me to tell you where to go.

May as well just roll a coffeelock and call it a day, amiright?

Sorry, with the addition of Xanathar's it's actually CocaineLock now. Anyway, technically correct is the best kind of correct!

sithlordnergal
2018-10-01, 02:04 PM
To be fair...if I didn't have the plate armor our next session would likely be a TPK. @_@ The DM has decided to make Out of the Abyss more interesting and we get to try and survive several rounds against the Demon Lord Yeenoghu while an ally of ours cuts out the heart of a Goristro, and we have to land a hit on Yeenoghu to collect his blood.

I am the only person in the party Yeenoghu could possibly miss...the second highest AC in the party is a 19, and that is with the Shield spell. Given Yeenoghu has a +16 to hit...19 ac isn't much. ×_× Despite being an APL of 9, I think we can do it, its just going to require forethought, teamwork, and luck on the party's side

Millface
2018-10-01, 03:41 PM
To be fair...if I didn't have the plate armor our next session would likely be a TPK. @_@ The DM has decided to make Out of the Abyss more interesting and we get to try and survive several rounds against the Demon Lord Yeenoghu while an ally of ours cuts out the heart of a Goristro, and we have to land a hit on Yeenoghu to collect his blood.

I am the only person in the party Yeenoghu could possibly miss...the second highest AC in the party is a 19, and that is with the Shield spell. Given Yeenoghu has a +16 to hit...19 ac isn't much. ×_× Despite being an APL of 9, I think we can do it, its just going to require forethought, teamwork, and luck on the party's side

If the DM wants to run things harder or beef up encounters because that's more fun for him/her, then it certainly tracks to allow the cheesy stuff that RAW sometimes misses. I homebrewed an enemy race that was overly strong and did the exact same thing. I dangled all kinds of things that normal parties would never get to play with, such as vampirism, artifact level magic items, boons, and more. It changed the game considerably, and I don't think I'd do it again (by level 14 the monster manual was basically useless to me, deadly encounters from the DMG were a cakewalk for them) but just because someone else wouldn't do it doesn't mean you shouldn't.

If you guys are having fun, that's all that matters. Cheese it up!

BaconSlayer
2018-10-01, 05:48 PM
I think the bigger problem(s) with Yeenoghu are all of the saves you'll be facing. I'd take Resilient: Cons and then bump Cha in order to improve your aura.