PDA

View Full Version : AC vs Movement

Laserlight
2018-09-28, 12:29 PM
We're in CoS (not that that's particularly relevant, but no spoilers) and we've found two sets of +1 plate, and there are two of us who can wear it. The paladin is a STR build, so no problem there; my character, a Tempest cleric, is a DEX build and loses 10ft of movement for being understrength. We've had one encounter since then, and I couldn't get into melee; by the time I got to the fight, it was over. Granted, that's only one fight, but I'm considering swapping back to my previous armor.

tl;dr: AC22 and 20ft movement, or AC19 and 30ft, for a tempest cleric?

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 12:37 PM
How far are you from getting an ASI that would give you the necessary strength?

Ard3
2018-09-28, 12:56 PM
Depends what you like.

As melee character I'd personally prefer more movement over AC when it is that high already. Just being a dwarf my characters 25 feet vs 30 feet of others feels somewhat annoying. Way too often I spend actions Dashing when I could do much more interesting stuff.

Laserlight
2018-09-28, 01:36 PM
How far are you from getting an ASI that would give you the necessary strength?

L6, STR10. Unless we stumble upon a treasure trove of ASIs, it ain't happening.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-28, 01:48 PM
We're in CoS (not that that's particularly relevant, but no spoilers) and we've found two sets of +1 plate, and there are two of us who can wear it. The paladin is a STR build, so no problem there; my character, a Tempest cleric, is a DEX build and loses 10ft of movement for being understrength. We've had one encounter since then, and I couldn't get into melee; by the time I got to the fight, it was over. Granted, that's only one fight, but I'm considering swapping back to my previous armor.

Clerics don't specifically need their action to be effective in battle due to their bonus action spells.

Even just yhe healing word spells are a great use.

Take the movement penalty! Use the dash action if needed! Take a couple levels of rogue if you want a dash to be your bonus action.

Edit: if melee weapon, take the charger feat to grab a bonus action weapon attack after dashing.

nickl_2000
2018-09-28, 01:54 PM
L6, STR10. Unless we stumble upon a treasure trove of ASIs, it ain't happening.

Any chance you will be picking up Gauntlets of Ogre Strength?

Laserlight
2018-09-28, 03:06 PM
Any chance you will be picking up Gauntlets of Ogre Strength?

Hm. I'm too used to low-magic games, so that item hadn't occurred to me. You get +1 Inspiration. We're going back to the place which provided the plate (and other goodies); I can ask.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-28, 03:12 PM
While it might not work RAW, you can ask your DM about Enhance Ability and whether or not doubling your carrying capacity with advantage on strength checks will allow you to move without burden.

Alternatively, one level into Druid can get you Longstrider (no concentration) which will cancel out the issue while giving you a number of other benefits. It lasts an hour, and your druid spells would scale to your full level, so this is a pretty decent solution.

sophontteks
2018-09-28, 03:22 PM
Here's a nice trick. Don't wear all of the plate armor. Now its half plate. You can even wear none of the plates at all and it'd still be padded or leather armor as thats what the entire inner layer is made up of.

Man_Over_Game
2018-09-28, 03:26 PM
You definitely need to talk to your DM about that. Not every DM will say that a +1 Plate Mail is also a +1 Breastplate. Does that also mean you get a +1 helmet and +1 gauntlets?

Magic items are expensive and tough to make and destroy. I'd probably say the magic only works as a set, with runes written across the entirety of the armor.

JellyPooga
2018-09-28, 03:28 PM
Query: Are you using the variant Encumbrance rules?

If so, the Strength requirement for heavier armours is not applied, only the encumbrance penalties.

GorogIrongut
2018-09-28, 03:30 PM
Movement is king. Things are already tough being a dwarf with a 25' movement. To have less than that basically paints a bullseye on your character and makes you exceptionally easy to target. The AC isn't worth it. Especially as you've already got AC 19.

Just put up your Spirit Guardians and Spirit Weapon and move where you need to all while dodging.

MaxWilson
2018-09-28, 03:41 PM

Out of curiosity: how do you get AC 22?

I'd say it depends on the situation. Keep the plate armor around for pitched battles, but for casual wear you can use the lighter armor.

You can mitigate the movement disadvantage by:

* Taking the Mobile feat
* Asking someone to cast Longstrider on you before battles
* Riding a mount (which could be a Phantom Steed if you want)
* Persuading your party to fight more conservatively, with more ranged firepower, forcing the enemy to come to you. Bonus points if you strew caltrops between you and the enemy in order to give you more time to pour firepower on.

You're a Tempest cleric with Call Lightning access, so there's a reasonably good chance the ranged combat tactic could play to your strengths, if you can persuade your party to go along with it.

If your party is reluctant to fight conservatively because the opposition is so easy that they want to charge in and kill the monsters in melee before they're all gone, then your game is easy enough that you probably don't need the extra AC either, and you can just wear your casual armor.

Laserlight
2018-09-28, 11:31 PM
Here's a nice trick. Don't wear all of the plate armor. Now its half plate. You can even wear none of the plates at all and it'd still be padded or leather armor as thats what the entire inner layer is made up of.

Half plate. Of course. Clearly I have too much blood in my caffeine stream, not to have thought of that. Yeah, I should be able to sell that to the DM.

Laserlight
2018-09-28, 11:46 PM
Out of curiosity: how do you get AC 22?

+1 plate, +1 shield. We just got quite a bit of very shiny gear.

I love standing back and nuking. Unfortunately it isn't a viable approach when you're trying to stop the witch inside the gingerbread house from popping Gretel into the oven--which is the type of situation we find ourselves in fairly often, in this campaign. "Bust down the door, rush in, up the stairs and around the corner quick".

Kane0
2018-09-29, 12:00 AM
Just take the hit to speed and use sacred flame and the like as you waddle into combat

Merudo
2018-09-29, 12:25 AM
Consider using a Hand Crossbow. You'll be able to shoot a bolt on the first turn if you are not within melee range. It works with Divine Strike, too!

Note that on your turn, you can drop your crossbow for free, and use your object interaction action to draw your rapier, so you'll be able to attack with the rapier straight away.

Laserlight
2018-09-29, 06:20 PM
Consider using a Hand Crossbow.

Hand Crossbows are an abomination, anathema, not to be discussed in polite society. The guy who put them in D&D should be thrown into the chihuahua pit.

Also, I might as well Sacred Flame. No range penalty and ignores cover. I assume they'll have cover from my teammates being in the way between us.

Laserlight
2018-10-02, 01:08 PM

I asked DM if I can use it as Half Plate, he said "of course!"

+3 Internet to you.

sophontteks
2018-10-02, 01:21 PM
I asked DM if I can use it as Half Plate, he said "of course!"

+3 Internet to you.
Lol. Yay common sense!

Snails
2018-10-02, 01:32 PM
You can move, then cast or fire/drop a crossbow for the first round, just fine. So it is not as if your contribution is sub-par for being slower.

It really is a matter of party tactics and style. If your DM let's you gain Advantage for flanking, that extra first round movement will help the Paladin crit-fish for big smites. As you have another decent healer in the party, protecting the cleric is less important.

Personally, I tend favor getting a Tempest Cleric in the thick of it. As you are 6th level, you have a number of options for pushing people around with your lightning -- I do not know if that is effective, but it sure is fun!

MaxWilson
2018-10-02, 02:21 PM
+1 plate, +1 shield. We just got quite a bit of very shiny gear.

Then your AC in nonmagical half-plate should be AC 20, not 19. AC 15 (half-plate) + 2 (you said you're a Dex build so I assume Dex 14+) +3 (Shield +1) = 20.

With your magical half-plate I guess that's AC 21, best of both worlds: mobility AND AC.

Good stuff.

MeeposFire
2018-10-02, 03:22 PM
Not that I actually advocate using a feat just to use a random magic item but if you really wanted both take the mobility feat. It adds 10 feet to your speed which eliminates the penalty from using heavy armor with low str.