PDA

View Full Version : Searching for magic system

Kael_Thor
2018-09-28, 02:36 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but if it isn't I'm sure someone will tell me a more appropriate place to post it.

Today a friend of mine told me about a D&D homebrew magic system he read about a while ago, but neither of us can find it again and he doesn't remember what it was called.

He described it as every caster having fewer spells known, but can upgrade and/or change the spells somewhat. The examples he gave were a Firebolt being 'upgraded' into essentially a Fireball, and changing the damage of the Firebolt into acid damage.

The idea sounds quite cool to me, having a lower number of spells but each spell being more flexible than normal d&d spells could make for some really cool and creative moments.

So my question is: does anyone have any clue what system my friend is talking about, or at least know of something similar.

I'm hoping someone recognizes what he is describing and can help us.

Yora
2018-09-28, 02:56 PM
Sounds like the Expanded Psionic Handbook system. The power of spells depends on how much power points are used, and you can chose which type of elemental damage you want to use.

It's all open content. (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicPowersOverview.htm)

Kael_Thor
2018-09-29, 06:16 AM
Sounds like the Expanded Psionic Handbook system. The power of spells depends on how much power points are used, and you can chose which type of elemental damage you want to use.

I agree that what he is describing does sound like that, but he is certain that it was a homebrew system and that it was for magic, not psionics.

Yora
2018-09-29, 10:51 AM
I suspect the homebrewing was to adapt the psionics to magic.

RedWarlock
2018-09-29, 03:51 PM
Yeah, an augmentable magic-using-point system concept has been floating around for years, ever since Unearthed Arcana’s half-dysfunctional version that hosed blasters. I’ve seen more than one version in homebrew, though there’s definitely one really good finished version out there.

Draz74
2018-09-30, 12:33 PM
I don't know if a translation of psionics mechanics to spellcasting is indeed what you're looking for, but if it is, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?194002-3-5-A-Translation-of-Vancian-Spellcasting-to-Psionic-Mechanics) the really good one that was completed on these forums years ago. Credit to Ernir.

Kael_Thor
2018-10-06, 08:02 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone, you have been very helpful.

It seems Ernir's one is the closest to what my friend was describing, I hope I can convince my group to try it out one day^^