PDA

View Full Version : Creating A Table

Neftren
2007-09-16, 06:38 PM
So I've spent a week or so working on my Homebrew Base Class on a Wiki... wanted to convert it over here but I can't figure out how to get the table to work for my CL, BAB, Saves columns etc.

What's the freaking code! :D

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 07:11 PM
I'm no good at making tables, but it appears I've beaten the others to the thread...

Here ya go, a link to an explanation. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3076705&postcount=3)

That should provide you the code to make a table. If not someone else will be along momentarily to correct me. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately, the Board FAQ on VB Code (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode) doesn't list any of the special features for tables.

For that, you'll want to see the original thread announcing the implementation of table code.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 07:58 PM
I figured you'd turn up eventually Shhalahr. Next time, I'll just leave it for you to answer. :smallbiggrin:

Neftren
2007-09-16, 08:04 PM
{table="head"]Character Level|BAB|Etc?
1|One|Random
2|Two|Random
3|Three|Random[/table]

There we go.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 08:56 PM
I figured you'd turn up eventually Shhalahr.
(Almost) Always do on Board Issues. Sufficiently slow-moving that I can keep an eye on everything.

(I'd laugh maniacally right now, but I just can't pull that off.)

Next time, I'll just leave it for you to answer. :smallbiggrin:
Nah, go ahead. Answer with what you've got. Wouldn't want my presence to stifle anyone's ideas or desire to help.

'Sides, it could give me something to work off of without having to provide every detail myself. :smallwink:

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 08:58 PM
Yeah, except I answered it with something you'd already said. :smallbiggrin:

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 09:37 PM
Yeah, except I answered it with something you'd already said. :smallbiggrin:
I did say "could" rather than "will." :smallwink:

Warms my heart to know I've had an impact in this corner of Cyberspace. :smallbiggrin:

Skippy
2007-09-17, 12:53 AM
I did say "could" rather than "will." :smallwink:

Warms my heart to know I've had an impact in this corner of Cyberspace. :smallbiggrin:

You made me think of a Comet, hitting a moon of somewhere. Impacts in space and such.

Charity
2007-09-17, 06:10 AM
First you start with some nicely planed hardwood, you need to glue and clamp the planks of wood in a low humidity atmosphere. once the glue has fully dried you need to plane the top face flat and rout the outer edge.
If you are planning on turning the legs you would be well advised to form a template, to ensure regularity...
Oh those tables, there is a guide somewhere is there not, for this kind of malarky... or just ripoff and edit one of Shhalahr/Fax's like the rest of us

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 08:06 AM
You made me think of a Comet, hitting a moon of somewhere. Impacts in space and such.
Reminds me: I have to get meteor swarm in my spellbook one of these days.

Oh those tables, there is a guide somewhere is there not, for this kind of malarky... or just ripoff and edit one of Shhalahr/Fax's like the rest of us
Go ahead. I don't mind. :smallsmile:

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this...or where such a thread would go, for that matter...so here's how I get a table from a spreadsheet into the forums, using OpenOffice and a little bit of Python. Because I sure didn't do these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3206378&postcount=7) by hand....

When you copy/paste from a selection in OpenOffice's spreadsheet into an application that accepts text, it pastes each row as a line, with columns separated by tabs. So, paste it into a variable then Python, then have Python replace the tabs with the pipe character, then copy/paste that into the forums and surround it with the start and end table tags. Tada!

Firefox does the same when copying HTML tables, so you should be able to the same with the HTML rendered from wiki code. Or the HTML rendered from the board's table codes, for that matter.

Trying it with the example table above looks like this in the Python interpreter:
>>> tableText="""Character Level BAB Etc?
1 One Random
2 Two Random
3 Three Random"""
>>> print tableText.replace("\t","|")
Character Level |BAB |Etc?
1|One|Random
2|Two|Random
3|Three|RandomThe trick is to paste it between triple quotes, so it puts the line endings into the string instead of process each line individually.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 04:17 PM
So, paste it into a variable then Python, then have Python replace the tabs with the pipe character, then copy/paste that into the forums and surround it with the start and end table tags.
Absent Python programming skills, shouldn't a simple Find and Replace in your nearest text editor work as well?

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 04:22 PM
Absent Python programming skills, shouldn't a simple Find and Replace in your nearest text editor work as well?...hey, that works! Just have to copy one of the tabs by hand to paste into Notepad's find/replace dialog.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 09:05 PM
Just have to copy one of the tabs by hand to paste into Notepad's find/replace dialog.
Yeah. That copy 'n' paste is the real trick. (Damn "press Tab to change focus." :smallwink:)

Neftren
2007-09-17, 09:39 PM
how do you do the Find Replace Option and do (B) AND (/B)? :smalltongue: Anyway... anyone want to check out and comment on my Homebrew class in my sig? (1st Spoiler). That was what I needed the table for anyway.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-18, 05:13 PM
how do you do the Find Replace Option and do (B) AND (/B)? :smalltongue: Anyway... anyone want to check out and comment on my Homebrew class in my sig? (1st Spoiler). That was what I needed the table for anyway.

I use Word's Replace to search for :''' and replace it with :[/b], find ^p''' and replace it with ^p[b] (^p being the wildcard for new line), and a few other similarities. I don't really recall anymore; it's just a macro that I push the button on to convert from wiki code to fora code.

Neftren
2007-09-18, 08:36 PM
Ah... blah... I've got way too many things in my sig.