PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A City of the Spider Queen Magic Items

Doidgestar
2018-09-28, 03:36 PM
So in city of the spider queen there is an item listed as Hand of Kiaransalee’s Glory.

Hand of Kiaransalee’s Glory: Very similar to the hand of glory described in the DUNGEON MASTER’s Guide, this item is a mummified drow hand with a silver ring on each finger. As with the hand of glory, a magic ring placed on one of the fingers (as a replacement for one of the silver rings) functions normally for the character who wears the hand. In addition, each of the five silver rings allows the wearer of the hand to use a specific spell effect. Each ring can produce one of the following effects once per day: deeper darkness, see invisibility, ray of enfeeblement, chill touch, and spectral hand. If the wearer replaces one of the five silver rings with another magic ring, he or she must sacrifice one of these spell effects in order to replace it with the magic ring’s power. If removed from the hand, the silver rings have no magical power.
Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, animate dead, chill touch, deeper darkness, ray of enfeeblement, see invisibility, spectral hand; Market Price: 19,000 gp; Weight: 2 lb.

So my question is would this item enable you to effectively have 5 extra ring slots by replacing each of the rings on the hand with another.
Note that the description does not have the specific clause that you cannot add an additional ring, like the normal Hand of Glory.
I understand that it states it says "As with the hand of glory...." but I am curious as to whether or not there has been any official errata on this, or any words from the creator of said book about this item.

Thanks

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-28, 06:03 PM
"As with the hand of glory, a magic ring placed on one of the fingers (as a replacement for one of the silver rings) functions normally for the character who wears the hand."

"If the wearer replaces one of the five silver rings with another magic ring, he or she must sacrifice one of these spell effects in order to replace it with the magic ring’s power."

Based on these two quotes, you can only get the normal Hand of Glory's single extra ring slot. The repetition of the word "one" in these two sentences seems fairly deliberate to me. You'd probably need it to explicitly say that you can get the use of more than one magic ring for that to be the case.

Also, such an item would be a lot more expensive if it could wear five magic rings!