PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Open Playtest - Revised Aether Blade

Volfogg
2018-09-28, 05:31 PM
Hey All

I authored the Bevy of Blades (https://www.rpgnow.com/product/174535/Bevy-of-Blades-PFRPG) tome that was produced some time ago with the incredible help and support of Amora Game. The original book received a pretty decent review by the (in)famous Endzeitgeist. However, as he, as well as some others pointed out the class itself could be made better. Which brings me to the reason of my post today ... I am here to enlist your aid in playtesting the revised Aether Blade base class. I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions so please don't hold back. Once this is done I will work on getting the original book updated. On that note, without further ado, I present to you the revised Aether Blade. I have enabled comments so please feel free to share whatever comes to mind.

Revised Aether Blade (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pU8_Hrzy6v-bDnzvDmALFuvX8zwaxwBSyUULYN0y3Qw/edit?usp=sharing)

I will be posting another separate topic with the revised Shadow Blade as well.

Any assistance in this endeavor is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Volf

Volfogg
2018-09-28, 05:38 PM
Hey All

I authored the Bevy of Blades (https://www.rpgnow.com/product/174535/Bevy-of-Blades-PFRPG) tome that was produced some time ago with the incredible help and support of Amora Game. The original book received a pretty decent review by the (in)famous Endzeitgeist. However, as he, as well as some others pointed out the class itself could be made better. Which brings me to the reason of my post today ... I am here to enlist your aid in playtesting the revised Shadow Blade base class. I appreciate any and all comments or suggestions so please don't hold back. Once this is done I will work on getting the original book updated. On that note, without further ado, I present to you the revised Shadow Blade. I have enabled comments so please feel free to share whatever comes to mind.

Revised Shadow Blade (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qnx4iTP0xyWuczjjZb819BAmdTNACSWg7aCRfcP_7DM/edit?usp=sharing)

I will be posting another separate topic with the revised Shadow Blade as well.

Any assistance in this endeavor is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Volf

TiaC
2018-09-29, 04:28 AM
Aetheric Armor should just be an armor bonus. Then you don't have to specify that it's similar and doesn't stack.

Assimilate Magic doesn't mesh that well with the scaling price of magic items and the difference in value between armor and weapons. For example, a +3 sword costs 18300, while 3 +1 shields cost 3450. However, they both give the same bonus to Assimilate Magic, even though a player could sell the sword and buy the shields with 5700 left over.

I also feel that it's very similar to the soulknife.

Volfogg
2018-09-29, 06:42 PM
Aetheric Armor should just be an armor bonus. Then you don't have to specify that it's similar and doesn't stack.
Good catch ... I will update the description immediately.

Assimilate Magic doesn't mesh that well with the scaling price of magic items and the difference in value between armor and weapons. For example, a +3 sword costs 18300, while 3 +1 shields cost 3450. However, they both give the same bonus to Assimilate Magic, even though a player could sell the sword and buy the shields with 5700 left over.
This was never an issue in playtest, usually wealth limits and the reduction in GP value of selling magic items seemed to curtail this sort of thing. However, I will simply remove the armor and shield option.

I also feel that it's very similar to the soulknife.
Ah, somehow in my revisions the fact that this was in fact a hybrid of the soulknife was lost. I will correct that immediately.

Cheers
Volf

Tariyan Draegr
2018-09-30, 09:42 AM
Just tried to open the playtest but it says I need access.

Tariyan Draegr
2018-09-30, 09:43 AM
Hey I'm getting an error saying that I need to request access to look at the playtest

AlienFromBeyond
2018-09-30, 06:57 PM
Why were the two threads merged?

And yes, seems the docs are now private and thus need permission to view.