PDA

View Full Version : Alternate skill rule for closer adherence to archetypes

King of Nowhere
2018-09-28, 07:50 PM
I'm not calling this thread "fixing the skill system" because I don't think the system is so bad that it needs fixing, nor am I so arrogant to think that I can fix it or really do better. But I got an idea for an alternative ruling that could be interesting.

One thing often complained about the skill system is that your characters has way too few skill points to be good at what he should be good. This is further exacerbated by the incentive to maximize a few skills and ignore the others.
This goes much against a character archetype, as the character is actually supposed to be good at most all of his class skills.

Let's take, for example, a monk. In movies or books, martial artists are great at anything acrobatics (jump and tumble), can be incredibly stealthy (hide and move silently), can have chases over rooftops or tree branches (balance). They rarely climb, managing with just jumps, but if they find themselves on a vertical surface they handle themselves well (climb). And with the sole exception of altair from the first assassin creed, they certainly can swim well (swim). And they can ignore a great deal of pain while remaining focuses (concentration). Spot and listen are optional, but most have them too.
So, the monk archetype should be good at least at 8 things. Too bad most can only manage 3 or 4, because those are the skill points you have.
How about a warrior? One of the more common establishing scenes for a warrior is him talking about weapons, the finer distinctions, picking up a pile of seemingly identical weapons and discarding most of them as crappy while singling a few as superior quality, bascially those guys have a huge knowledge of weapons and armors (craft: weapons and craft: armor). And I've never seen a warrior who would be bad at any physical activity, including (swim, climb, jump). Heck, most of them are good at balance too, and it's not even a class skill. But a warrior who's supposed to be good at 5 ddifferent things can rarely pick more than 2 or three.
and let's not even talk about the rogues, who'd need like 15 skill points per level to be actually good at all the stuff they're actually supposed to be good at, or clerics who need an int bonus to even qualify for epic spellcasting.

So 3.x games are full of monks who are not stealthy, fighters who know nothing of their gear, clerics who suck at public speaking, wizards whose boundless knowledge is completely limited to one or two specific fields.

The easiest solution if you don't want those characters with very narrow competences is to give everyone 2 extra skill points per level, so they can still maximize what they really need, while spreading the rest in secondary skills. The downside? Most people will maximize 2 more skills and call it a deal. And they'd still suck at many things they should be good at. But it's more convenient gaming-wise.

Another easy solution has been done with 5e, basically by extremely simplifying everything. I admit I don't know much the 5e, but from what I hear you no longer have skill points, you just have advantage or not. Which also has the disadvantage of reducing customization. Now all fighter types are equally good at any of their stuff as any other fighter type.

Basically, I would like to have a character being good at what his archetype should be, while at the same time keeping the distinction between those who are extremely good at something (maxxed skill) and those who are merely good.

What I came up with is to give every class a bonus to all their class skills equal to 1/2 their class level (rounded up) minus half the ranks already spent in the skill, to a minimum of 0.

What does it mean? Say you are a 5th level fighter. You now get a +3 (half level rounded up) to climb, swim, and stuff, having 0 ranks in it. That's not huge, it's not game breaking, but it establishes that you are actually competent at those activities, more competent than a random bloke with the same strenght score; just as you are supposed to be.
Now, say that you wanted to actually spend some effort at being a decent swimmer, and took 2 ranks in swimming. This reduces your level bonus by one, so now your swim bonus is +4 (+2 for ranks, +2 for houserules bonus). So you still got a benefit from taking a few ranks in swim, you swim better than the average fighter of your level. But it starts to close the gap.
If you maxxed swim, the ranks are greater than twice the houseruled bonus, so the houseruled bonus disappear. You get the same modifier, so all the mechanics finely tuned by what a character of a certain class and level with maxxed skill should manage are not affected.
And you can still choose which skills you'll max, ensuring your character will be different from other similar characters. One warrior is fantastic at swim, another at climb, another at knowing weapons. But they are all reasonably good at all those disciplines.

I don't even think it would affect much a campaign: I was rarely forced to use a class skill I had no ranks in. It's more of a fluff thing.

If half the level seem too much, another option is to make the bonus 1/3rd of the max rank you could have in the skill. This would lower a bit the value at high level without affecting much the value at low level.

I'm posting this to see what you guys think about it.

Caelestion
2018-09-28, 08:13 PM
That seems like it might work, but it's also a whole load of extra calculations for every class skill every time. It would be a lot easier if you used linked or merged skills such as Athletics and Acrobatics (merged) or counting any ranks in Climb to also apply to Jump and Swim (linked).

lylsyly
2018-09-29, 08:24 AM
In the game I am playing in now we have tried a different approach to skills than RAW. Each class gets 2 extra points per level, the Pathfinder skill bundles are in effect, and there is no such thing as Class Skills, buy ranks in what you want.

For instance, there was a recent (couple of hundred years ago) world shaking cataclysm. I want my character to have knowledge of where ruins are and and where good magic items may be found so I have given her ranks in Knowledge History and Nobility and Royalty (because they had all the good stuff).

It's working out great so far and looks like this will be a permanent change in our group.

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 08:58 AM
I second merging or linking skills.

A human monk (ie, every monk in non-D&D media) would have 5 skill points. That's enough for Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Concentration, and another skill of their choosing (usually Perception or Knowledge).

Any warrior could be good at Athletics and Craft (Arms & Armor). No int bonus or human required.

The thief archetype needs Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Knowledge (Local), Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth. That's 9 skills, which means either human or Int 12. But since Int higher than the average dirt farmer makes sense for a cunning thief, you're already set regardless of race.

KillianHawkeye
2018-09-29, 09:39 AM
I just have to point out that Craft and Knowledge are not the same thing at all....

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 09:53 AM
I just have to point out that Craft and Knowledge are not the same thing at all....

Indeed they aren't, but a blacksmith would be able to tell a well made weapon from a poorly made one. He'd also be familiar with how many different weapons are used since he can craft them with ease (DC 18 for any exotic weapon).

"This sword is very similar to the ones used by many elves. Its light weight allow for it to be manipulated without as much strength and its sharper blade make it easier to hit vital parts of your enemies. I still prefer my traditional long sword as training with such a weapon requires a longer time and its finer blade make it not as sturdy as a more standard blade."

The above is a very fair assessment from someone who is a really good smith AND a good combatant.

BassoonHero
2018-09-29, 10:05 AM
I've written about this before, in some detail. Broadly, my complaints about the skill system are:

- It's too fiddly; there are too many skill points to distribute.
- Skills are too narrow, often leading to illogical capability gaps.
- Useful adventuring skills are mixed in with glorified flavor text.

Adding more skill points helps counter the narrowness and gives some characters breathing room to take the glorified flavor text, but it makes the system more fiddly as a whole. Your suggestion is similar in that regard; although it doesn't add more skill points, it does complicate calculating bonuses.

My suggestion is to:

- Consolidate skills. This will both ameliorate the skill point crunch for some classes and largely eliminate weird undesired gaps.
- Remove low-mechanical-impact skills like Craft and Knowledge, instead using a simple “background” mechanic.
- Remove do-nothing skills that tie into class features (specifically, Concentration).
- Add powerful, interesting skill tricks that make non-maxed skill ranks meaningful and useful.

An average monk could take Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, and Stealth, plus a couple of Knowledge-related backgrounds.

An average fighter could take Athletics and one additional skill, plus a crafting background and one other.

An average rogue could take Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Perception, Stealth, Thievery, and two additional skills, plus a couple of backgrounds.

King of Nowhere
2018-09-29, 06:58 PM
Problem with joining skills together so that everyone has enough skill points is that now everyonehas enough skilll points to take what they want, and everyone will have their class skills maxxed out. It takes away a lot of customizability, makes people of the same class more similar to each other. Also, it would remove incentive to invest some more in intelligence.
The advantage of my idea is that one would still have limited skill points to allocate, and one would still need to sacrifice something. Only, the sacrifice would not be so complete.

Another option, to avoid calculation (that still seem much easier to me than recalculating your total attack bonus every time you get hit by a buff/debuff or a new circumstance modifier arise), is to give every class 2 extra skill points (4 for rogues), but with the caveat that they must be spent in skills where the character has no more than half the max ranks. So it would force the player to spread his skills a bit more.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-29, 07:12 PM
I'm personally fondly amused by the sorcerer with zero ranks in Spellcraft, but for heroic games (and there are quite a few of those), it's probably appropriate you have basic competence in all your class skills. For those games, I think it's a good houserule: sets a goal, achieves it simply. Notes: Encourages taking 1 rank in everything. Makes a factotum dip pretty powerful. Bardic Knack might need some adjusting. Nothing too bad to deal with.

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 07:14 PM
Problem with joining skills together so that everyone has enough skill points is that now everyonehas enough skilll points to take what they want, and everyone will have their class skills maxxed out. It takes away a lot of customizability, makes people of the same class more similar to each other. Also, it would remove incentive to invest some more in intelligence.
The advantage of my idea is that one would still have limited skill points to allocate, and one would still need to sacrifice something. Only, the sacrifice would not be so complete.

Another option, to avoid calculation (that still seem much easier to me than recalculating your total attack bonus every time you get hit by a buff/debuff or a new circumstance modifier arise), is to give every class 2 extra skill points (4 for rogues), but with the caveat that they must be spent in skills where the character has no more than half the max ranks. So it would force the player to spread his skills a bit more.

Wait, didn't you have a problem with people not having enough Skill Points? Didn't you want Monks doing things Monks were portrayed doing? Customization still exists in the form of multiclass characters who won't be able to keep both classes' skills maxxed, and in the form of characters taking skills beyond their usual archetype

As for Int incentive, well, as it stands every single character is always super smart. People dump Str, Dex, Wis, and Cha. The only stats I've never seen a character completely dump are Int and Con. That should tell you that Int would be ok being taken down a peg. Plus characters that want a crap-ton of skills will still have Int 14 or 16.

Caelestion
2018-09-29, 08:45 PM
How many skills were you thinking were going to exist if 4-skill fighters or clerics have all the skills they need? Even with 20-25 skills, you still don't have that problem.

BassoonHero
2018-09-29, 10:04 PM
If you find that to be a problem, there's a simple solution: reduce the number of skill points. But I don't think that would be necessary.

What is a class skill? I don't mean mechanically; what do class skills represent? I'd say that a class skill is what the game designers thought would be the most relevant and useful skills for a class (with some obvious misses, like Concentration for monks). I'm not convinced that this needs a mechanic at all. Suppose that we eliminate cross-class skills. Then, a fighter who wants to put ranks into Spellcraft or Thievery can do so at the expense of a more stereotypical skill. If you're concerned about characters of the same class having the same skills, why not simply eliminate the penalty for branching out?

Consolidating skills makes skills more powerful, and I imagine that this would only make Int better as a result. But I suggest also allowing players to spend their skill points on skill tricks and backgrounds. That way, a character with more skill points than they know what to do with at least has some interesting options.

If, in the end, skill consolidation does give players too many points, then there's nothing wrong with reducing those points. In fact, that's a victory — you've solved the Big Stupid Fighter problem so thoroughly that you actually have to compensate for the solution by making creation and leveling easier.

Ashtagon
2018-09-30, 02:56 PM
When you examine the maths of this system, you'll find that a skill point spend in a class skill will grant exactly teh same benefit as a skill point spent in a cross-class skill. The overall proposal could be expressed more simply as:

1. All skills cost two skill points per rank, whether class skill or cross-class skill.

2. Class skills receive an automatic bonus equal to half the number of class levels.

3. Maximum number of skill points that can be spent on any one skill is equal to your character level plus three.

retaliation08
2018-10-02, 07:51 AM
I think pathfinder did this well by combining some skills and offering a +3 bonus to class skills if you put in at least one rank, although max ranks is equal to level.

You could also look at something like Bardic Knack ACF for each classes' class skills. When making any skill check, you can use 1/2 your level (Rounded up) in place of the number of ranks you have in the skill (even if that number is 0) if it is a class skill for you.