PDA

View Full Version : A couple of not-quite-basic questions

J-H
2018-09-28, 09:39 PM
My players preferably stay out.

1) My players may need or choose to take a route that involves substantial underground travel. One of them has a wyvern mount. Aside from stabling it (and putting it out of action for a long time) or telling it "Fly over the mountains, good luck!", what options are there? Is there any other convenient (at sub-level 10 ranges) way besides a Bag of Holding to transport it? Can it be shrunk to Medium size somehow, for a multi-day period?

2) What ways does a semi-mundane dwarf of medium levels (no access to Rope Trick or clerical magic) have of completely avoiding sleep when traveling in dangerous areas?

Goaty14
2018-09-28, 09:52 PM
My players preferably stay out.

1) My players may need or choose to take a route that involves substantial underground travel. One of them has a wyvern mount. Aside from stabling it (and putting it out of action for a long time) or telling it "Fly over the mountains, good luck!", what options are there? Is there any other convenient (at sub-level 10 ranges) way besides a Bag of Holding to transport it? Can it be shrunk to Medium size somehow, for a multi-day period?

2) What ways does a semi-mundane dwarf of medium levels (no access to Rope Trick or clerical magic) have of completely avoiding sleep when traveling in dangerous areas?

1) In either Lords of Madness or Savage Species, I swear there's a "ring of reduction" or similar. If all else fails, a psionic item of continuous Compression (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/compression.htm) should work. Give it to the party mage or similar once the wyvern is done.

2) Depends how monsters in your world act (like, so we can figure out what could've been working for him so far). IMO, anything between making traps around his camp, covering his bedroll (and himself) with a rock via silent image would probably work out. To avoid sleep though... That's a tough one, because there is no D&D equivalent of coffee. How long does he have to go without sleep?

Khedrac
2018-09-29, 01:42 AM
1. One thing that is not an answer is a bag of holding or similar - without the right magic item creatures placed in them suffocate fairly quickly.

2. An answer I hate, but according to RAW there is no penalty for not sleeping except not gaining spells.
Putting out a series of mundane tripwires connected to alarms might help him to - consider it covered by suitably high Survival checks.

Fizban
2018-09-29, 02:09 AM
If they have access to a town that can sell 6th level scrolls: Scroll of Smokey Confinement (Complete Mage) to put it in a pokeball. You could also let them buy a Bracelet of Friends (DMG) with only one charm remaining.

Also, don't forget that squeezing is a thing. A Large creature can fit through any space a Medium creature can move normally through, with penalties. Unless you've planned for this underground route to include spaces that the Medium creatures need to squeeze to fit through, the Wyvern could actually make it. And unless those spaces are fairly long stretches, the PCs could probably just smash a big enough hole. It'd be pretty miserable though.

Lotheb
2018-09-29, 09:30 AM
If the party has a bag of hold big enough for a wyvern they could combine that with a bottle of air to overcome the suffocation issue. Just make sure they remeber to feed it, water it, and let it out to poop

Bronk
2018-09-29, 11:18 AM

The Shrink Collar from Arms and Equipment Guide makes anything wearing it small for 10000g.

The Saddle of Growth from the same book makes it's mount go up or down a size category, but only 3/day and for 48600g.

Get some hirelings who can stand watch?

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 11:40 AM
2) As it's been mentioned, there's no penalty for not sleeping, besides not regaining Arcane spells (Divine spells explicitly don't require sleep). Most DMs apply Fatigue to characters who don't sleep, but if he's level 8 or 9 he should have some way to get rid of the Fatigue. A magical item of Ray of Resurgence (preferably a Wand, but Scrolls or Potions work as well). If you mean that there's zero way he can access clerical magic, then you could still get RoR from the Wizard list, though prices raise significantly.

If you say that this Fatigue can't be magically cured (like damage from extreme heat), then a Ring of Sustenance reduces the required amount of hours from 8 to just 2. I guess safeguarding his short sleep is the best he can do.

Bronk
2018-09-29, 01:16 PM
Here's a good thread to find item options for the 'Alarm' spell...
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?111302-3-5-Alarm-type-magic-item

J-H
2018-09-30, 05:10 PM
Thank you!

I think I was remembering the Portable Hole as the holding item that contained some halfling villages or something.

DeTess
2018-09-30, 05:13 PM
I think I was remembering the Portable Hole as the holding item that contained some halfling villages or something.

Even a portable hole can't sustain life if its closed, but it is sometimes used by artificers to house some crafting constructs. This works because constructs don't need air.

ExLibrisMortis
2018-09-30, 05:23 PM
You're thinking of the Planescape feature: a halfling settlement on the Astral Plane, built on the "outsides" of bags of holding. See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15338593&postcount=534) for some discussion on the topic.

Darrin
2018-10-01, 02:37 PM
Even a portable hole can't sustain life if its closed, but it is sometimes used by artificers to house some crafting constructs. This works because constructs don't need air.

You can use a Necklace of Adaptation (9000 GP, DMG) or a Wind Pipe (7000 GP, Stormwrack) can provide air. Outside of a Ring of Sustenance, there are a variety of items that can provide a replenishable supply of food.

If you're looking to shorten sleep time, Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (3000 GP, Complete Mage) can reduce an entire night's sleep down to 1 hour. However, you have to wait 48 hours before you can use it again.

If you cast polymorph any object into a creature type that doesn't sleep, that could last 2-7 days before it wears off, if you're good about parsing the duration factor to exactly 6 or 7. However, you have to be a little careful with the Int score (make sure the construct/plant/undead you change into has one), as you inherit that from the new form.