PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a level 6 mystic arcanum spell

Shadowbite
2018-09-28, 11:43 PM
Hey all, I'm having a tough time deciding on my 6th level for Mystic Arcanum for my level 11 warlock. I'm limited to PHB spells.

We are currently doing Tomb of annihilation (not that I want spoilers).

I'm considering eye bite, flesh to stone, mass suggestion, and true seeing. Though I'm open to other suggestions.

I've heard people rave about mass suggestion but I feel it's effectiveness really hinges on convincing the DM that the suggestion is reasonable.

Thoughts?

JakOfAllTirades
2018-09-29, 06:10 AM
Yeah, "reasonable" is such a slippery concept, especially since the example given in the PHB for Suggestion isn't really reasonable at all. Who gives all their money to a beggar they just met? Is that reasonable?

The usefulness of Mass Suggestion really depends on whether your DM is willing to work with you, because the definition of "reasonable" in the PHB (if it even has one) simply makes no sense. I'd discuss it with him before choosing the spell, and if he's going to make it a useless pick, go with anything else at all.

I will say this much: if you've got a DM who's okay with it and doesn't screw you over every time you try to cast it, Mass Suggestion is an excellent choice. (Yes, I picked it. No, I was not disappointed.)

Callak_Remier
2018-09-29, 07:57 AM
Conjure fey. Allows you to summon a Green hag as an ally. Circle of death is like a Fireball with a 60ft radius. That's War magic stuff to be used versus armies.

Eye bite is probably your best bet
True seeing will cost you 25gp every casting

R.Shackleford
2018-09-29, 09:27 AM
Conjure fey. Allows you to summon a Green hag as an ally. Circle of death is like a Fireball with a 60ft radius. That's War magic stuff to be used versus armies.

Eye bite is probably your best bet
True seeing will cost you 25gp every casting

Only take conjure fey if you have resilient con, warcaster, or both. Getting killed by your own summons is embarrassing.

Circle of death is not party friendly, I like the spell but without a way to sculpt it... No thanks.

Eyebite is an awesome spell and I would take this as the safe, but fun, choice.

However, if you want to have fun and live on the edge... Flesh to Stone. I absolutely love how they made a very powerful spell be useful after one save but not super broken like it used to be. I think more spells should be modeled after this one.

Side note, if you have an ally with Bestow Curse... Flesh to Stone becomes a very potent Save or Die.

Creature turns to Stone? That statue gonna be missing a head even before the entire duration is up.