PDA

View Full Version : Question on throwing people

Mikee
2007-09-16, 07:13 PM
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums, so bear with me if in this new thread I don't adhere to any type of OOTS forum secret special code you guys have.

I was looking around for it, but I couldn't find the rules on throwing things/people at people and how the damage is handled. I have this 3.0 grappling monk character, and he is able to use the Power Throw feat to pick up and throw people. Here's the description.

"If you are grappling an opponent, you may pick them up and throw
them up to 15 feet, inflicting 1d4 + your STR bonus damage. You
may also choose to just pick them up and hold them above your
head. If you do this, you lose your DEX and shield bonuses to AC,
but your opponent has -4 to attack, deals half damage with physical
attacks, and requires a Concentration check DC 25 to cast a spell."

Now lets say I picked up a guy and threw him into another guy, how would damage be handled for each guy? Would it depend on his weight, or is there some kind of set damage for throwing a medium sized creature into another creature? And what if I used an object, would damage depend on weight or size category for the object?

Thanks.

SurlySeraph
2007-09-16, 07:23 PM
I believe it's just 1d4 + your STR bonus damage to each of them. Or, you could have the person being hit take the equivalent of falling damage he would take if he were the person being thrown, but that's a bit more complicated and probably wouldn't do much more damage.

ocato
2007-09-16, 07:33 PM
There are feats somewhere... I want to say PHB2 but I honestly cannot remember, that deal with throwing allies, Fastball Special style. Unfortunately for a character to throw his friend, both of them need a feat. It's a little lame but it might have some information about what you want.

slexlollar89
2007-09-16, 07:39 PM
the feats you are thinking of are throw anything and tjrow ally, but I don't remember where they are. Maybe Complete Warrior, or Races of Stone, or Comp. Adventure. Try those thre man.

BRC
2007-09-16, 08:01 PM
I just had an urge to create a prestige class based of being used as a projectile.

Alleine
2007-09-16, 08:49 PM
There's a feat in Races of stone that lets you throw an ally, but you need to be large sized and have 19 strength to get the feat it requires. I'd go for the Complete Warrior PrC Hulking Hurler. One level nets you the "Really thhrow anything" feat, which is better than Throw anything because you really can throw anything, for a measly -2.

Mikee
2007-09-16, 09:32 PM
There isn't any specific chart or something that explains object weight and damage if that object is thrown?

UglyPanda
2007-09-16, 09:46 PM
The chart is in the last few chapters of complete warrior. After the first 400 lb (5d6, I think), you get an additional 1d6 per 200 lb. I'm not sure what it is with smaller amounts, but it's not a linear progression.

Hulking hurler is a class that shouldn't see play. It can cause ridiculous amounts of damage if you apply virtually any effort towards optimization. Thusly, I can't recommend it if you want to keep your DM sane. By the way, fling ally has awesome art attached to it.

Here it is. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ros_gallery/83327.jpg)

Mikee
2007-09-16, 10:02 PM
The chart is in the last few chapters of complete warrior. After the first 400 lb (5d6, I think), you get an additional 1d6 per 200 lb. I'm not sure what it is with smaller amounts, but it's not a linear progression.

Hulking hurler is a class that shouldn't see play. It can cause ridiculous amounts of damage if you apply virtually any effort towards optimization. Thusly, I can't recommend it if you want to keep your DM sane. By the way, fling ally has awesome art attached to it.

Perfect. Thank you. Its not 3.0, but I'm sure its the same anyway.

Alleine
2007-09-16, 10:09 PM

You got the damage right, but there are also some things about size. Halve the damage for every size category below medium, double for every size above medium.

If you're referring to the Hurler build on the CO boards that does over one thousand d6's, it can easily be defeated by logic.

Hurler: Ok, I lift the (insert insane weight) object, this'll deal (appropriately insane dice number)
DM: So, whats the size of your feet?
H: uhhh, I'm only medium sized so-
DM: the object is pulled into the ground because of its weight vs. surface area of what is supporting it. You are now underneath several thousand pounds of leaden doom.
H: Well ****!

UglyPanda
2007-09-16, 11:10 PM
Dude, think of the catgirls. Never bring physics into a D&D discussion. No, not even then.

Alleine
2007-09-16, 11:44 PM
I never did like catgirls. . .

Besides, the Hurler would kill the same amount, if not more, with his massive damage output.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-17, 06:41 AM
I just had an urge to create a prestige class based of being used as a projectile.

Already there. (See Sig). Granted, it's more like ramming yourself into someone, but I'm sure you could adapt it somehow...

daggaz
2007-09-17, 08:50 AM
Sure...it is physics... but it is bordering on plain common sense as well. See rule 0. The hurler is retardedly broken.