PDA

View Full Version : Kaorti Resin Weapon

cartejos
2018-09-29, 06:43 AM
I have a simple question. Can you have a weapon already made of 1 special material be made into kaorti resin version and still keep the properties of the original material? For example: could i have a Deep Crystal Ribbon Kukri? I have read that you just need to dip the weapon in resin, which would make me assume it could have both weapon abilities? Or is it its own special material and I must have misinterpreted what I had seen

DrMotives
2018-09-29, 08:23 AM
The resin is a material, it's not a coating over a normal weapon. Kaorti mold the resin they secrete into a weapon shape as it hardens, so you can't make a deep crystal or any other material into kaorti resin.

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 08:40 AM
Deep Crystal Ribbon Kukri

What's this "ribbon" there? Google has failed me.

OgresAreCute
2018-09-29, 08:58 AM

I assume it was meant to be "Resin" but they got jumped and beaten in a dark alley by autocorrect.

heavyfuel
2018-09-29, 09:02 AM
@OP, couldn't you just make it a Resin Kukri? Deep Crystal is cool and all, but hardly necessary for a crit-focused build since the 2d6 dmg for focusing the crystal aren't multiplied on a crit.

I assume it was meant to be "Resin" but they got jumped and beaten in a dark alley by autocorrect.

Makes sense. Here I was thinking it was some obscure exotic weapon, the 'ribbon kukri". Like a kukri mixed with a whip.

martixy
2018-09-29, 09:23 AM
Pretty sure he's looking to combine Psychic Weapon Master, which requires a crystal weapon to get its extra threat range.
Ain't about the damage, it's about the extra threat range.

E.g. he wants a 13-20/x4 weapon. (Don't we all?)

thoroughlyS
2018-09-29, 10:06 AM
Makes sense. Here I was thinking it was some obscure exotic weapon, the 'ribbon kukri". Like a kukri mixed with a whip.
Actually, weapons made from Kaorti resin are referred to as ribbon weapons. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)

OgresAreCute
2018-09-29, 10:13 AM
Actually, weapons made from Kaorti resin are referred to as ribbon weapons. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)

Wack.
I did not know that.

ViperMagnum357
2018-09-29, 12:14 PM
If you want a Ribbon Kukri with 13-20/x4, you can take the non-psionic Weapon Master PRC from Oriental Adventures, which was not changed in the 3.5 OA update in Dragon 318. 7 levels will net you an extra +2 to your critical, provided you already took Improved Critical for your special Ribbon Kukri, making your critical 13-20/x4 before any other effects. Unfortunately, unlike the Psychic Weapon Master the rest of the OA Weapon Master is garbage, without even manifester levels to save it, so it is up to you.

You can also check out this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?569020-Fishing-Ideas-for-the-Crit-Fishing-Handbook

This is the legwork thread for the Crit Fisher Handbook I am helping construct. Sift through the posts by me and Saintheart for clearly delineated critical effects: we have only just started the actual handbook thread, but this work thread already has most of the 3.0/3.5 first party critical effect material posted here.