PDA

View Full Version : Optimization If you could mix and match parts of Archetypes, what is the most broken combination?

Thrasher92
2018-09-29, 08:25 AM
If you could mix and the match archetype features of one class that are of similar levels, What would be the most broken combination that you could create?

By similar levels I mean, if you create a rogue and you want the "Assassinate" Rogue Feature from the Assassin Archetype at level 3, but at level 9 you want the "Supreme Sneak" feature from the thief archetype.

What you couldn't do would be getting a higher level archetype feature earlier, it would still be 3, 9, 13, and 17. You can just mix and match which ones you get from the archetypes in your class.

What I have in mind is staying in 1 class all the way but, cross-class ideas would be interesting too.

richardbob123
2018-09-29, 08:38 AM
i would say taking the 3rd level bear totem from totem warrior , the Mindless Rage from berserker and then Zealous Presence and Rage beyond Death from zealot would be a pretty broken combo

Vekon
2018-09-29, 03:31 PM
Ooh, I like these. This one is hard though, because a lot of subclass features are based of of previous features from that same subclass.

I'll do a Fighter. 3rd Level Battle Master for superiority, 7th level Cavalier for Warding Maneuver, 10th level Battle Master again for Improved Superiority, 15th to Champion for Improved Critical, 18th back to Cavalier for Vigilant Defender because it's kind of OP. Obviously I'd pair with Sentinel/PAM. Improved Combat Superiority implies that it's both the 10th and 18th level features though, but I want to have fun.

Daghoulish
2018-09-29, 03:41 PM
I'm not sure how broken it would be but I would have some fun with a bard.
3:Bonus Proficiency from Valor (Shields,Medium armor,Martial Weapons) and Cutting Words from Lore
6:Additional Magical Secrets from Lore
14:Unbreakable Majesty from Glamour
Having medium armor and a shield alongside Unbreakable Majesty makes you very hard to hit and having cutting words make it even harder. Additional Magical Secrets are just fun though.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-09-29, 09:45 PM
I dunno about broken, but a wizard with the Abjurer's ward and 14th level spell resistance, plus the Bladesinger's extra attack and Song of Defense, would make a pretty fun tanky gish.

You could also do Portent/Undead Thralls/Empowered Evocation/Greater Portent and just be a super-Wizard.

intregus
2018-09-30, 09:51 AM
I converted 5e into a classless system that allows you to pretty much do this and it hasn't been too bad. Characters are a little stronger but not too crazy. At least nothing myself or my wife(who's newer to dming) couldn't handle or curb. But our table doesn't have anyone who's a munchkin or actively trying to break anything

Citan
2018-09-30, 02:43 PM
Hi!

For Wizard, I'd say...
- 2: Diviner or Abjurer or Bladesong
- 6: Transmuter or Necromancer
- 10: Evoker maybe? (don't remember well)
- 14: Abjurer definitely.

For Paladin, I'd say
- CD: Devotion
- Spells: Vengeance or Crown
- Aura: Ancients
- Capstone: Conquest

For Rogue I'd say
- lvl 3: Arcane Trickster
- lvl 9: Arcane Trickster
- lvl 13: Thief
- lvl 17: Thief
(note I'm AFB and don't remember all archetypes well. Also no idea on how would AT mesh with others spellcasting wise).

For Monk I'd say
- lvl 3: Kensei or Shadow
- lvl 6: Drunken Master
- lvl 11: 4E (Fly, Fireball)
- lvl 17: Open Hand
(Monk is the one for which you can really go near brokenness imo).

For Druid I'd say
- 2: Moon
- 6: Land
- ?? (don't even remember last step).

For Cleric I'd say
- 1: Life
- 2: Tempest or Trickery or Knowledge depending on kind of character (single-class/multiclass)
- 6: Nature
don't remember the rest.