PDA

View Full Version : Trick weapon question (could not find anything in forums)

CynicWalnut
2018-09-29, 12:52 PM
So I'm making a Path of the Kensei monk who is creating trick weapons, akin to Bloodborne, but more than two modes. I wanted to go full monk but basically have the ability the hexblade warlock gets to summon whatever weapon they want. So I have her with proficiency in tinker tools and starting with quarterstaff and longbow. The idea is for the quarterstaff to be have three sections so they can angle into a bow shape with a string hidden within, making the transformation. Then it will eventually be turned into a longsword, spear, and maybe battleaxe if there's another kensei weapon choice I missed.

ANYWAY
what would be a fair way to let the character work toward this weapon without getting something too powerful too early, and would changing as a bonus action be too strong? Also, what about stronger versions of the weapon via enchanting, better materials, etc...

If there's a good thread, please direct me toward it. I'm rarely ever on here and don't know anything.

Thanks everyone.

GalacticAxekick
2018-09-29, 01:37 PM
I'm assuming this is in 5th edition D&D.

There are no rules for creating new weapons, whether you want a physical upgrade, a magical enhancement, or a mechanical transformation. In 5e, players grow by honing their skills, NOT by getting special equipment.

This doesn't mean your DM cant write your trick weapon into the game. But this does mean theres no rules to follow. Whatever options your DM gives you are the only options available.

If I were your DM, I would treat the trick weapon no differently from its "parent" weapons. Since it's going to have the same stats anyway, it would cost as much to buy or craft as the parents combined. The only advantage is that it's less cumbersome than a bag of weapons, and the only downside is that it requires proficiency in tinkers tools.

I'm not sure why you're concerned with power.

CynicWalnut
2018-09-30, 08:11 AM
It is 5e. And I figured it wouldn't really be any different than having said weapons and just dropping them over and over to equip new weapons. Wasn't sure how much a free weapon change without having to retrieve the weapon would affect action economy if at all.

And improving the weapon down the road, would you say if I enchanted the weapon, all forms would be enchanted? If so would it cost the total amount of each weapon to enchant or just the amount of the highest cost weapon in the group?

GalacticAxekick
2018-09-30, 12:58 PM
Again, 5e has no rules for enchanting weapons. Its assumed that magic items are too rare and extraordinary to craft or buy: par with holy grails, swords in stones and such.

To hammer this point, "enchantment" in 5e means "using magic to manipulate a creature's mind". If you asked a wizard or a smith to enchant your weapon, they would laugh in your face.

If I were your DM, and if I made magic items common, I would treat enhancing your trick weapon as enhancing one weapon. It wouldn't cost double or triple just becatse te weapon has two or three forms.

But the cost of enhancing a weapon? The effect? The means? All of that still needs to be brainstormed and balanced by your DM.