PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Lore Bard & Warlock of the Tome?

Citadel97501
2018-09-29, 04:04 PM
Hello all, I was just wondering if I missed anything but I was thinking the sheer amount of cherry picking spells this class combination can do is as good as it looks to me? While it is expensive on the feats, due to being delayed in getting your 8th level feat, it simply seems exquisite to me?

By level 9, 6 Bard, 3 Warlock (Definitely going up to 5 eventually simply for more ritual spells)
Invocations: ? All of them are viable but probably something you don't get as a spell from your classes.
8 cantrips, 3 from bard, 2 Warlock, and 3 from any list?
Bard Spells: 3 x 1st level, 3 x 2nd level spells, 3 x 3rd level spells
Warlock: 2 x 1st level spells, 2 x 2nd level spells

Keravath
2018-09-29, 04:53 PM
I have a level 9 (7 bard/2 warlock) character that I really enjoy playing. The classes can synergize quite well and depending on the character backstory can make sense. In my case it is lore bard/hexblade warlock.

Eldritch+agonizing blast from the warlock side can be useful to give the bard some decent direct damage when they aren't casting a spell. From experience, Vicious Mockery doesn't go very far.

Depending on what level you play the character to in your campaign, any mix of levels can work. However, if you take more than 3 levels of warlock, you will miss out on 9th level spells (if you play that long) and it will slow your spell progression.

Tome is a good pick. If you take the book of ancient secrets invocation, it gives you rituals up to your warlock level /2 rounded UP ... so a level 3 warlock can get up to second level rituals. However, unless you are desperate to add Leomund's tiny hut, there aren't that many level 3 rituals that would be useful if that is the reason you want to go to warlock level 5. (there are four - leomunds tiny hut, meld into stone, phantom steed and feign death)