PDA

View Full Version : Make a magical girl

Teaguethebean
2018-09-29, 09:46 PM
I had the thought how would you build a magical girl. Like old anime sailor moon style over the top magical girl just a thought. How would you build yours

Millstone85
2018-09-30, 12:08 AM
Base recipe:

Warlock of the Celestial
Pact of the Tome
shillelagh
Book of Ancient Secrets
find familiar

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Cardcaptor_Sakura_BD_volume_1_cover.jpg

ImproperJustice
2018-09-30, 12:24 AM
Base recipe:

Warlock of the Celestial
Pact of the Tome
shillelagh
Book of Ancient Secrets
find familiar

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cc/Cardcaptor_Sakura_BD_volume_1_cover.jpg

Yeah. The traditional magic girl is very much the Warlock class.
My group has more than a few anime fans.

Once ran a fantasy game where we had Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop and a magical girl in the PC party....Good times and it was a strange game.

Greywander
2018-09-30, 03:51 AM
Yeah. The traditional magic girl is very much the Warlock class.
Would you like to make a deal? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Warlock is a perfect fit for a magical girl type of character. Warlocks are also quite flexible, allowing you to have an entire party of them where none are quite the same. Between pact, patron, and invocations, you've got a lot to work with to fit the magical girl flavor.

Eldritch Blast can be refluffed as any sort of magical ranged attack (for example, shooting magical arrows from a bow that just materializes in your hand when you attack). At-will Levitation or Jump can act as a stand in for flying, but you can also cast fly normally. At-will Disguise Self and/or Mage Armor could be fluffed as your transformation sequence. Blade Pact lets you summon your signature weapon whenever you need it. Chain Pact lets you have a talking, flying companion. Tome Pact let's you get weaker versions of both with Shillelagh and Find Familiar.

An all-warlock team actually sounds kind of fun to play with.

Lunali
2018-09-30, 08:40 AM
We had an amusing discussion a bit ago about refluffing barbarian rage for a magical girl style character. Mechanically nothing changed, but causes were fluffed to be about cuteness and whatnot instead of anger.

ZenBear
2018-09-30, 09:20 AM
We had an amusing discussion a bit ago about refluffing barbarian rage for a magical girl style character. Mechanically nothing changed, but causes were fluffed to be about cuteness and whatnot instead of anger.

That was in my thread about my homebrew Oath of the Waifu. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562892-Oath-of-the-Waifu) :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 10:18 AM
An all-warlock team actually sounds kind of fun to play with.

Well, there is the unsecure-but-magnetic lead with the most significant familiar companion (Celestial Pact of Chain), the brash one who think magical-girling is awesome and want to prove herself as a badass (Celestial Pact of the Blade), the nerdy girl who uses her smarts to help (Celestial Pact of the Tome), the one who's weird/ditzy but who know how to get people out of troubles thanks to lateral thinking when she didn't put them in it in the first place (Great Old One Pact of the Tome) and the dark loner who is hyped as being stronger and act solo at first but then get her ass kicked and then learn the power of friendship (Hexblade Pact of the Blade).

Millstone85
2018-09-30, 10:40 AM
Well, there is the unsecure-but-magnetic lead with the most significant familiar companion (Celestial Pact of Chain), the brash one who think magical-girling is awesome and want to prove herself as a badass (Celestial Pact of the Blade), the nerdy girl who uses her smarts to help (Celestial Pact of the Tome), the one who's weird/ditzy but who know how to get people out of troubles thanks to lateral thinking when she didn't put them in it in the first place (Great Old One Pact of the Tome) and the dark loner who is hyped as being stronger and act solo at first but then get her ass kicked and then learn the power of friendship (Hexblade Pact of the Blade).That's on point. :smallbiggrin:

Although I would have gone with Archfey instead of GOO. Easier to work in as a weirder but still cute and benevolent power.

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 10:46 AM
That's on point. :smallbiggrin:

Although I would have gone with Archfey instead of GOO. Easier to work in as a weirder but still cute and benevolent power.

True, your idea is better. Could also be Pact of the Chain (so the primary familiar get a foil).

No brains
2018-09-30, 11:14 AM
Any spellcaster with Disguise Self. Homebrew a ritual version to reflect changing times. Verbal components of spells work as calling your attacks.

Admittedly my understanding of the sub-genre is limited to 20-year-old memories of Sailor Moon.

EvilAnagram
2018-09-30, 01:09 PM
I'm enjoying this thread immensely.

the dark loner who is hyped as being stronger and act solo at first but then get her ass kicked and then learn the power of friendship (Hexblade Pact of the Blade).
Now let's refluff the specter summoning to fit.

Zalabim
2018-09-30, 01:14 PM
I guess this list is mandatory:
Minor Illusion (Sound): Your theme music starts playing.
Silent Image: 15' backdrop with a starburst pattern.
Disguise Self: Put on your costume and make any cosmetic changes you like.
Mage Armor: (Optional) You're magically resilient without obvious armor.
False Life/Armor of Agathys: (Optional) You're magically resilient without obvious constitution.
Shillelagh/Create Pact Weapon: If you have a staff or magic implement, you can transform it into a full-sized weapon, or just create your signature weapon.
Hex/Hexblade's Curse: <creature type> that <crime>, in the name of <patron>, I'll punish you.

It takes over half a minute to get ready for a battle, but it's still faster than the fighter can put on his armor.

Lunali
2018-09-30, 01:39 PM
That was in my thread about my homebrew Oath of the Waifu. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?562892-Oath-of-the-Waifu) :smallbiggrin:

Or rather, in the thread that gave rise to that, Kawaii Tank. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?561522-Kawaii-Tank) ^^