PDA

View Full Version : Looking for legends

cullynthedwarf
2018-09-30, 03:27 AM
I am Not Super Familiar with the setting that WOTC has decided to us as the new choice setting for DnD 5e. So this will probably come off noob-ish so bare with me.

I'm running my group through Storm Kings Thunder and they are about to descend on Icewind. They are traveling there by the Mage Tower Zephros and with all his books and literally nothing else better to do I figure those books of his would have some clue to some fabulous items that he has heard about but just quiet gotten around to getting.

Any one with more familiarity please feel free. (Which would be just about every one)

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 04:04 AM
I am Not Super Familiar with the setting that WOTC has decided to us as the new choice setting for DnD 5e. So this will probably come off noob-ish so bare with me.

5e's default setting is presented in the PHB, MM, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and the Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

I'm running my group through Storm Kings Thunder and they are about to descend on Icewind. They are traveling there by the Mage Tower Zephros and with all his books and literally nothing else better to do I figure those books of his would have some clue to some fabulous items that he has heard about but just quiet gotten around to getting.

Any one with more familiarity please feel free. (Which would be just about every one)

Storm King's Thunder happens in the Forgotten Realms, not in 5e's default setting. If you want a fabulous item from this setting, why not Azuredge (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Azuredge) or another of the items you can find on the wiki?

Or you could make it an hint for later and have the books mention one of the major magic items of SKT. Like (spoilers) the potion that makes you gigantic.

opticalshadow
2018-09-30, 05:38 AM
Also teh default setting for 5e is the same as i guess the defacto default has always been, The Forgotten Realms, and more specifically the sword coast.

cullynthedwarf
2018-09-30, 05:52 AM
As I understood the default setting in 3.5 was Grey Hawk. I could be wrong of course.

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 05:53 AM
Also teh default setting for 5e is the same as i guess the defacto default has always been, The Forgotten Realms, and more specifically the sword coast.

No, it's not.

The Forgotten Realms are explicitly different from the default setting. They published a whole book about it, the SCAG.

Falcon X
2018-09-30, 08:05 AM
No, it's not.

The Forgotten Realms are explicitly different from the default setting. They published a whole book about it, the SCAG.
Yeah, just because every example in the players handbook, every subrace, every published adventure, and every Adventurers league game is placed in the Forgotten Realms doesn’t mean it’s the default setting.
It just means it’s the default choice of the game makers for everything they do.
See, nuance.

hamishspence
2018-09-30, 08:07 AM
Yeah, just because every example in the players handbook, every published adventure, and every Adventurers league game is placed in the Forgotten Realms doesn’t mean it’s the default setting.
It just means it’s the default choice of the game makers for everything they do.
See, nuance.

Indeed. 3e put a lot more effort into making it clear that the default setting was not the Realms. The Realms books were generally a different colour from the regular books, and had the words "Forgotten Realms" on the spine.

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 08:22 AM
Yeah, just because every example in the players handbook

Most of the examples in the PHB are not Forgotten Realms.

every published adventure, and every Adventurers league game is placed in the Forgotten Realms doesn’t mean it’s the default setting.

Indeed.

Except the PHB, the MM, the DMG, the Volo's, the Xanathar's, the Mordenkainen's, the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, and soon the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica.

3e put a lot more effort into making it clear that the default setting was not the Realms.

This is true. 5e assumed just telling people which is FR and which is not would be enough, but that didn't have the best results.

Falcon X
2018-09-30, 08:28 AM
That was, of course, sarcasm. There has never been an edition of D&D more devoted to a single setting than 5e.
Even the Players handbook exclusively uses Forgotten Realms character for examples, and subraces from Faurun.

It is to note that Jeremy Crawford explicitly says that the default setting is the Multiverse, not Forgotten Realms.
However, this has been the case of every edition. The “default setting” of any edition has never been official. It’s merely been the go-to for the game designers

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 08:30 AM
That was, of course, sarcasm. There has never been an edition of D&D more devoted to a single setting than 5e.
Even the Players handbook exclusively uses Forgotten Realms character for examples, and subraces from Faurun.

It is to note that Jeremy Crawford explicitly says that the default setting is the Multiverse, not Forgotten Realms.
However, this has been the case of every edition. The “default setting” of any edition has never been official. It’s merely been the go-to for the game designers

Or we could try to help OP with their question.

hamishspence
2018-09-30, 08:50 AM
Except the PHB, the MM, the DMG, the Volo's, the Xanathar's, the Mordenkainen's, the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, and soon the Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica.

Xanathar and Volo (although not Mordenkainen) are Forgotten Realms characters, so people thinking of them as Forgotten Realms books (as opposed to generic, "applicable anywhere" books), may not be entirely surprising.

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 09:01 AM
Xanathar and Volo (although not Mordenkainen) are Forgotten Realms characters, so people thinking of them as Forgotten Realms books (as opposed to generic, "applicable anywhere" books), may not be entirely surprising.

Yes, I know, the mistake is not surprising, but the content is quite clear that they are generic, "applicable anywhere" books.

Regardless of this, we should be answering OP's question in this thread.

Millstone85
2018-09-30, 09:05 AM
It is to note that Jeremy Crawford explicitly says that the default setting is the Multiverse, not Forgotten Realms.Not just any multiverse either, but Planescape (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/885909193718341633).

Which has brought plenty of complaints about all settings getting FR-ized. :smallwink:

Kadesh
2018-09-30, 09:15 AM
My favourite legend is that the Grand Transmogrifier Maralin Manzionus learned a spell to make himself boneless, to enable his body to perform stunts most men around the world have at least wondered if they would be able to do so once.

2D8HP
2018-10-01, 02:38 PM
Or we could try to help OP with their question.

Sure.

The Swords Coast Adventurers Guide

and

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

are what you're looking for @cullynthedwarf to supplement Storm Kings Thunder, and the

Legacy of the Crystal Shard (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/legacy-crystal-shard)

adventure can fill in some more details, as can the

Forgotten Realms Campaign Set (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/16782/Forgotten-Realms-Campaign-Set-1e?it=1&filters=0_0_0_0_0_45346_0_0)

Chaosmancer
2018-10-01, 03:26 PM

Do you simply want potential magic items or do you want FR specific relics?

If the latter, I'd check the FR wiki or... Isn't Candlekeep a massive FR Lore website?

Those are where I'd look because I'm unfamiliar with things.

Items you might find, I think the Rod of Seven Parts is in FR. I think there are some relic swords of the elves. The Uthgardt probably have something.

Then of course, something like the Storm King's throne which is a relic is always good.