PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A hasted attack action - does it allow bonus action attacks?

diplomancer
2018-09-30, 05:57 AM
If my character is hasted, and I Cast a Spell with my regular action, amd then Attack with my extra action from Haste (only one attack, naturally), does this count as taking the attack action for bonus action attacks that requires that for their trigger (2 weapon fighting, Pole Arm Master)?

I would say that yes, but was wondering if there is an official ruling on this.

MightyDuck
2018-09-30, 06:08 AM
Yes, a haste action counts as an attack action and thus you can use you bonus action.

Kadesh
2018-09-30, 06:30 AM
No it cannot, as Haste does not allow you to take the attack action.

pygmybatrider
2018-09-30, 06:55 AM
No it cannot, as Haste does not allow you to take the attack action.

I would disagree with this ruling.

Choose a willing creature you can see. Its speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saves, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. The action can be used to attack (one weapon attack only), dash, disengage, hide, or use an object.

I can see where the gap in semantics lies, but I would rule that using an action to attack and taking the Attack action are for all intents and purposes the same thing.

I imagine Crawford probably has two tweets about this giving different answers ;)

hymer
2018-09-30, 06:58 AM
I think some of you guys are looking at the first printing. In a later one with corrections, the possibilities with the Haste action are spelled out to be the various actions.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-30, 07:40 AM
Yeah, it currently reads that you can do the following:

Attack (one weapon attack only)
Dash
Disengage
Hide
Or Use an Object

MightyDuck
2018-09-30, 07:47 AM
jeremy Crawford confirmed it on twitter (https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/23/dual-wielding-twf-using-haste-attack-action-bonus-attack-if-you-did-cast-a-spell-as-your-normal-action/) you still take a normal action on your turn and can thus use your bonus action, it doesn't matter if you view the hasted action as an attack action.

DanyBallon
2018-09-30, 07:53 AM
Here's the Haste spell description from the most recent printing:

Choose a willing creature that you can see within range. Until the spell ends, the target's speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action.

When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until after its next turn, as a wave of lethargy sweeps over it.

So yeah you can take the Attack action, but are limited to a single weapon attack if you take the Attack action (no extra attack possible).
By this reading, the attack would trigger the bonus action. On the other hand, would the intent to limit to a single attack also mean that an attack from a bonus action should be prohibited as well? I think that's up to the DM and the player to find an agreement together.

Lunali
2018-09-30, 08:33 AM
Here's the Haste spell description from the most recent printing:

So yeah you can take the Attack action, but are limited to a single weapon attack if you take the Attack action (no extra attack possible).
By this reading, the attack would trigger the bonus action. On the other hand, would the intent to limit to a single attack also mean that an attack from a bonus action should be prohibited as well? I think that's up to the DM and the player to find an agreement together.

The intent is to limit it to a single attack from the hasted attack action, not to restrict what else you can do with your turn. If it limited other things you could do, it would also apply if you attacked for your normal action, which would defeat the purpose of haste.

DanyBallon
2018-09-30, 08:39 AM
The intent is to limit it to a single attack from the hasted attack action, not to restrict what else you can do with your turn. If it limited other things you could do, it would also apply if you attacked for your normal action, which would defeat the purpose of haste.

Getting any bonus action from you main action is fine, getting any bonus action (other that a bonus attack action) triggered by a hasted attack action would be fine as well by the wording. Where the intent could be interpreted is when you get a bonus attack action from a hasted attack action. Again, if any issue happen at a table, it is best resolve by an agreement between the DM and it's players.

MightyDuck
2018-09-30, 09:01 AM
Let me break it down, when hasted you get your normal action that you can use to make an attack action which works with the extra attack feature, since you made an attack action you can make an additional attack as a bonus action (assuming you're dual wielding or have a feat), you then get your hasted action that you can use for a single weapon attack, making for a total of 4 attacks in a round. If you use your normal action to cast a spell or something that isn't an attack action, you can make a single weapon attack with your hasted action but then can't make a bonus action attack as you didn't make an attack action, which two weapon fighting specifies you need to make.

DanyBallon
2018-09-30, 09:11 AM
Let me break it down, when hasted you get your normal action that you can use to make an attack action which works with the extra attack feature, since you made an attack action you can make an additional attack as a bonus action (assuming you're dual wielding or have a feat), you then get your hasted action that you can use for a single weapon attack, making for a total of 4 attacks in a round. If you use your normal action to cast a spell or something that isn't an attack action, you can make a single weapon attack with your hasted action but then can't make a bonus action attack as you didn't make an attack action, which two weapon fighting specifies you need to make.

By the first printing ruling it would have been true, but the most recent printing, specify that you can take the Attack action, but are limited to a single attack (no extra attack) when doing so.

Kadesh
2018-09-30, 09:12 AM
Getting any bonus action from you main action is fine, getting any bonus action (other that a bonus attack action) triggered by a hasted attack action would be fine as well by the wording. Where the intent could be interpreted is when you get a bonus attack action from a hasted attack action. Again, if any issue happen at a table, it is best resolve by an agreement between the DM and it's players.

Given the newest printing making it pretty clear that the attack gained by the Hasted Action is still the Attack Action, I'd be happy to allow it. That said, without that change in a game I DM'd (and given the printing of the book I have), I'd be ruling according to the wording of the spell, which is that Haste Attack doesn't provide that Bonus Action attack.

I'll use the latest printing of the book at the table, if i have the book i bought, it uses the old rule. If you have a newer one, be sure to bring it to every session in case I make an error resulting to the rule discrelancy between editions, unless there is proof for me to check almost immediately, it will be played as I know the rule.

Seems simple and fair. If you want to run content different from the DM, you bring it, whether that is a later edition PHB or a splat book, or an approved homebrew. If not, you have nothing worthwhile to support a rules disagreement at the time of the game, and the flow of the game is more important to me as a DM than ensuring I have every rule learned from the latest, unumbered printings of the PHB.

DanyBallon
2018-09-30, 09:20 AM
Given the newest printing making it pretty clear that the attack gained by the Hasted Action is still the Attack Action, I'd be happy to allow it. That said, without that change in a game I DM'd (and given the printing of the book I have), I'd be ruling according to the wording of the spell, which is that Haste Attack doesn't provide that Bonus Action attack.

I'll use the latest printing of the book at the table, if i have the book i bought, it uses the old rule. If you have a newer one, be sure to bring it to every session in case I make an error resulting to the rule discrelancy between editions, unless there is proof for me to check almost immediately, it will be played as I know the rule.

Seems simple and fair. If you want to run content different from the DM, you bring it, whether that is a later edition PHB or a splat book, or an approved homebrew. If not, you have nothing worthwhile to support a rules disagreement at the time of the game, and the flow of the game is more important to me as a DM than ensuring I have every rule learned from the latest, unumbered printings of the PHB.

Just a tip, if allowed at the table, D&D Beyond, keep the rules updated to the latest errata, and even if you don't buy the books on their platform, you still can access all the material in the SRD. That's where I got the latest version of the Haste spell :smallbiggrin:

Finback
2018-10-01, 02:40 AM
By the first printing ruling it would have been true, but the most recent printing, specify that you can take the Attack action, but are limited to a single attack (no extra attack) when doing so.

I read it as:
Your hasted action may only be a single attack. That is, you can't use the classic Attack action for level 5s and higher who get to make more than ONE melee attack with it, eg a fighter or a paladin. This prevents stacking, eg Attack (hit twice), haste action (Attack again for two). It basically allows one EXTRA attack.

(I think part of the confusion stems from Attack and attack being two things with particular meanings).

Ergo, I assume the following IS valid - Attack (using normal attack parameters), haste action (one attack), and bonus action (possibly an attack depending on build, eg Shield Master shove).

sambojin
2018-10-01, 12:50 PM
To the OP: With both old and new rulings, the intent seems to be yes. Even as written. Perhaps not an intended outcome, but yep, you wouldn't be breaking rules in your scenario as stated.

saucerhead
2018-11-04, 04:07 PM
While I understand a hasted character gets a bonus action, his regular action and a haste action, I have a further question about the haste spell. Can you do these actions in any order? For example: if my cleric is hasted while fighting giants, can he use a bonus action for a spiritual weapon attack, attack once with his haste action, and lastly dodge for his normal action?
Does the haste action have to happen last? Is there a way to give the giants disadvantage without losing the haste action?

DeTess
2018-11-04, 04:17 PM
While I understand a hasted character gets a bonus action, his regular action and a haste action, I have a further question about the haste spell. Can you do these actions in any order? For example: if my cleric is hasted while fighting giants, can he use a bonus action for a spiritual weapon attack, attack once with his haste action, and lastly dodge for his normal action?
Does the haste action have to happen last? Is there a way to give the giants disadvantage without losing the haste action?

Yes, you can do them in any order you prefer. The only order issue that can arise is when you want to take a bonus action before you meet its prerequisites, while planning to meet them later in the turn (shield shove before doing the attack action, for example).