PDA

View Full Version : help me make my explosion obsessed pc

Donpoohbear
2018-09-30, 12:39 PM
so iwant to make a pc caster who is going to focus on aoe im not sure who is currently the best caster to use for aoe spells im leaning towards wizards bc they have a huge list .

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 01:12 PM
so iwant to make a pc caster who is going to focus on aoe im not sure who is currently the best caster to use for aoe spells im leaning towards wizards bc they have a huge list .

Well, do you want a large list you can choose from, or a Sorcerer's spell points and metamagic?

Depents if you want a lot of different AoE or don't care about the variety as long as you have quantity.

Donpoohbear
2018-09-30, 01:20 PM
im probably going to want quantity like if im casting a spell somethings exploding

https://media1.tenor.com/images/90d6ece71198f8f87db0dd9189748a25/tenor.gif?itemid=11298743

Unoriginal
2018-09-30, 01:42 PM
Then Sorcerer (with the Bonfire cantrip) would probably work.

sophontteks
2018-09-30, 02:13 PM
Wild sorcerer with empower will maximize explosions. You just want as many explosions as possible right? Reckless explosions everywhere always?
Empower doesn't sound too fancy, but it will make your explosions the biggest always on the cheap. Every time you cast there is a chance a fireball or some other spell will just appear from thin air.
If your DM is cool he will let you reroll on the wild magic table with every spell, you'll be able to have advantage constantly on whatever you choose. Not for the feint of heart.

stoutstien
2018-09-30, 02:16 PM
You allowed Homebrew at all?

Donpoohbear
2018-09-30, 02:43 PM
so far the dm has said official wotc and unearthed arcana

stoutstien
2018-09-30, 03:30 PM
I see spells that as tunder based as more explosion that fire. I'd vote storm sorcerer or temp cleric. Both have great spells and options for knock back. Heck a multi class of the two would be epic.

Jamesps
2018-09-30, 04:11 PM
Thunder clap is at will, you just need to be pretty durable to use it. If you take "Distant spell" you can even make the explosion reasonably sized for a sorcery point. You just need some way of surviving the goblin sapper tactic.

Donpoohbear
2018-09-30, 05:05 PM
all of these suggestions are great im workingo n it now i few different sheets

Joe the Rat
2018-09-30, 09:47 PM
Thunderwave, Shatter, Fireball. Repeat. Yep, Wild Magic Sorcerer.

On another angle, Alchemist Artificer has unlimited thunderstones. What you lack in fire you make up for in throwing people around all the damn time. And fire. And glue. And put wand of fireballs on your short list for magic items to get.

ImproperJustice
2018-09-30, 11:31 PM
Thunderwave, Shatter, Fireball. Repeat. Yep, Wild Magic Sorcerer.

On another angle, Alchemist Artificer has unlimited thunderstones. What you lack in fire you make up for in throwing people around all the damn time. And fire. And glue. And put wand of fireballs on your short list for magic items to get.

Agreed. Last Saturday my Alchemist dropped a thunderstone from the cieling in the midst of about 16 Bugbears. Sent everyone flying.....felt good on an emotional level.
Wand shenanigans are a key follow up for the Artificer since you have the slots to pack a few.

However, based on the OP, I bet they will get more satisfaction from empowered Sorceror blasts.

R.Shackleford
2018-09-30, 11:51 PM
Chaos Sorcerer, but ask your DM if every roll of the table can just be a fireball centered on you.

Tiefling Sorcerer (Wild) 13/Rogue (Mastermind or Swashbuckler) 7

Spells
Choose ones that go BOOM
Fire Resistance
Evasion
Uncanny Dodge

Do things that specifically get that fireball to drop on you as much as possible.

Honestly, as a DM I love this kind of stupid stuff so I would allow it... But would find ways around it so that the fun doesn't get stale.

Dualswinger
2018-10-01, 02:00 AM
A note on storm sorcerer. You can take the free 10ft of flying movement as being knocked around by your own explosion a la Junkrat and his concussion mines

Corran
2018-10-01, 02:12 AM
Evoker wizard for sculpt spells. You don't want to hurt your allies, and blasting is usually a lot more profitable when the enemies are nicely gathered around your melee allies, since you will catch more enemies in the blast and that's what more than anything allows you to up your blasting damage. More importantly though, sculpt makes your blasting capabilities be always a valid tactical option.