PDA

View Full Version : Good RPG For Doom?

JNAProductions
2018-09-30, 02:33 PM
Doom. That visceral, satisfying game where you just to blast demons all day long.

What's a good RPG to mimic that feel? That over-the-top action, that slightly corny but amazingly awesome feel, the ability to just FEEL like a badass?

Yora
2018-09-30, 02:58 PM
The fun of carnage in Doom comes from going through hordes of weak enemies at once. I don't think this translates to RPGs. It would get boring very fast.

RPGs excel more at memorable boss fights and tactical maneuvering.

The Glyphstone
2018-09-30, 03:00 PM
You could probably do a solid DOOM hack using the FFG Warhammer 40K RPGs. Stat Doomguy as a Space Marine-grade character and scale enemies as if they were meant for human-scale opponents, then RIP and TEAR. In fact, the Space Marine action game is basically this, Doom starring an Astartes warrior as he RIPS AND TEARS his way through tons of bad guys.

Knaight
2018-09-30, 03:54 PM
The fun of carnage in Doom comes from going through hordes of weak enemies at once. I don't think this translates to RPGs. It would get boring very fast.

RPGs excel more at memorable boss fights and tactical maneuvering.

It translates to RPGs just fine, you just need to pick the right ones. For instance, Anima Prime can handle this beautifully, for all that the feel is anything but Doom.

JNAProductions
2018-09-30, 07:29 PM
It translates to RPGs just fine, you just need to pick the right ones. For instance, Anima Prime can handle this beautifully, for all that the feel is anything but Doom.

How much does Anima Prime cost?

No brains
2018-09-30, 07:33 PM
I'm assuming you mean a tabletop RPG, but in case you aren't Might and Magic 6 has been described as 'fantasy Doom'. You can get it on gog.

Really any pen-and-paper game can be Doom if you listen to Slayer during fights and air-guitar when it isn't your turn.

Xuc Xac
2018-09-30, 07:46 PM
"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" was made for mowing down hordes of aliens. You could change that to demons very easily.

Knaight
2018-09-30, 08:24 PM
How much does Anima Prime cost?

It's free as a .pdf, I don't know the print on demand price. I really wouldn't recommend it for Doom though.

JNAProductions
2018-09-30, 08:35 PM
It's free as a .pdf, I don't know the print on demand price. I really wouldn't recommend it for Doom though.

I mean, if it's free, why not at least look?

Scripten
2018-10-01, 08:00 AM
I'm a pretty massive Doom fan and I've tried to come up with some ideas for hacking together something that feels right. The main stumbling block is that Doom is essentially 3D Robotron, which means that it relies on tactical mobility and twitch reflexes, both of which are difficult to translate into tabletop mechanics. The boardgame Frag might work, but it's not quite as flavorful as I prefer, besides the fact that it's primarily PVP.

I do know there's an official Doom-esque supplement coming to Shadow of the Demon Lord, which I'm excited to run, but that will likely have the horror elements of Doom held far above the breakneck-speed combat. (I still fully intend on buying it on release, though!)

About the only thing I can think of would be coming up with your own system or using something like Fudge for quick resolution of actions. Plus, since the game would probably be played as "always-on" combat, you would want to have discreet maps that easily translate into grids, rules for dodging hitscans/bullets and projectiles, and other fairly game-y mechanics. Which is not bad at all, but you'll probably end up with more of a board game than an RPG. (Though the distinction is of course subjective and not really even all that important.)

Frozen_Feet
2018-10-01, 10:15 AM
Okay, what you lot clearly need to do is take a middle step and play Doom Roguelike, or DRL as it's known these days. That should give you ideas on how to turn a 3D real time shooter into 2D turnbased RPG.

As for a system, start with something simple, like a D&D retroclone. Appropriate ideas from DRL one at a time. If putting together your own system doesn't appeal to you, Cyberpunk probably has everything you need save for suitable enemies.

Rhedyn
2018-10-01, 10:25 AM
Doom. That visceral, satisfying game where you just to blast demons all day long.

What's a good RPG to mimic that feel? That over-the-top action, that slightly corny but amazingly awesome feel, the ability to just FEEL like a badass?
Savage Worlds. Over-the-top cinematic action is the niche it scratches best. Throw on the Battle Suit power armor, stat Doom guy up to be sufficiently badass and throw some "extra" demons in front of him and you got a recipe for a splash zone.

Some of the weirder guns would just be Weird Science devices that Doom guy finds and still uses shooting to activate.

Yeah you could get this done with the $10 core rulebook.

Arbane
2018-10-08, 12:33 PM
One problem with using Savage Worlds is that (at least in the base rules) there's no way to dodge missiles, which is a rather essential skill for Doom. Easy enough to houserule that, though.

Feng Shui, maybe? It's all about the over-the-top gunplay, crazy stunts, and other flashy violence. Tragically, cyber-demons are no longer a default character class in 2nd edition.

Rhedyn
2018-10-08, 01:32 PM
One problem with using Savage Worlds is that (at least in the base rules) there's no way to dodge missiles, which is a rather essential skill for Doom. Easy enough to houserule that, though.Actually not even a house-rule.

Whether or not you get an agility check to doge AOEs is GM dependent. For example in my current campaign, most people can't dodge missiles. But one of the PC runs over well over 100 Km/h (while everyone else is moving 36' per round), so I rule that he can make agility checks to dodge missiles.

Knaight
2018-10-08, 01:42 PM
It's a boardgame and not an RPG, and I haven't actually played it, but:

SEAL Team Flix recently popped up on my radar. It's a dexterity based board game involving flicking disks, shuffleboard style throws, etc, all tied to things like combat, hacking electronic locks, etc. It's a little out there, yes, but it might just work for Doom, which was always a twitch game.

At the very least it's interesting conceptually. Position yourself in an area where you need to dodge three fireballs from demons? Cool, here's basically an air hockey table minus the air with three obstacles thrown on it. Bounce your puck into the goal now. I wouldn't recommend this for most things, but for Doom it just seems to fit.

angille
2018-10-08, 01:50 PM
I don't think it helps much with what you're actually looking for, but I totally got a different vibe from Doom, all the times I've played the various games. so I strolled in about to suggest Colonial Marines (https://www.torchbearerrpg.com/?tag=colonial-marines), or The Regiment (http://fictioneers.net/games/regiment-colonial-marines).

reading this thread makes me think there's some bizarre "Doom: the Anime" floating around out there that I've never played, lol.

Arbane
2018-10-08, 03:33 PM
There's a Doom boardgame (https://kotaku.com/doom-the-board-game-the-kotaku-review-1792205571). Has some rather nice-looking minis.

Delta
2018-10-08, 05:17 PM
Savage Worlds. Over-the-top cinematic action is the niche it scratches best. Throw on the Battle Suit power armor, stat Doom guy up to be sufficiently badass and throw some "extra" demons in front of him and you got a recipe for a splash zone.

Some of the weirder guns would just be Weird Science devices that Doom guy finds and still uses shooting to activate.

Yeah you could get this done with the $10 core rulebook.

I'll second Savage Worlds. Maybe look for some sourcebooks that have more Edges for Ranged Weapons and stuff or think some up yourself (Necropolis might be a good start it has religious marines in body armor fighting undead demon hordes with big guns, flamethrowers and so on, haven't played it a lot but I think it would be rather easy to use most of that stuff for a Doom setting), the core engine is pretty much perfect for this, battlemap based tactical combat where you can easily throw a horde of demonzombie-thingies on the map and watch the PCs shred them to pieces until they arrive at the level boss which really challenges them.

kyoryu
2018-10-08, 06:02 PM
Savage Worlds or a reskinned D&D 4e.

Psyren
2018-10-10, 12:15 AM
You could probably do it fairly easily in Starfinder as a Soldier in Powered Armor, using weapons well above the level of the things you're fighting to simulate the run and gun gameplay. You could even pull in some demons from PF to go with the SF ones.

Milo v3
2018-10-10, 12:34 AM
I'd second 3:16.

Gryphonfg
2018-10-15, 08:55 PM
I second Starfinder, they have a nice assortment of guns for soldiers.

lightningcat
2018-10-15, 09:13 PM
reading this thread makes me think there's some bizarre "Doom: the Anime" floating around out there that I've never played, lol.

I have been told that GoblinSlayer is basic fantasy Doom, but have not seen it myself.

As for playing Doom, a Deathwatch Kill Marine is basically the Doom-guy already, although he usually deals with xenos instead of demons.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-15, 11:41 PM
I have been told that GoblinSlayer is basic fantasy Doom, but have not seen it myself.

As for playing Doom, a Deathwatch Kill Marine is basically the Doom-guy already, although he usually deals with xenos instead of demons.

I thought of Deathwatch largely because of the excellently gory critical hit tables. If you're so much stronger than your enemies that every attack puts the target into deep crits, you're basically getting hilarious executions all the time.

Rhedyn
2018-10-16, 08:21 AM

Sort of. Goblin Slayer doesn't just rip and tear through goblins. He methodically kills them with whatever means at his disposal. For example, if the nest is near a river, he will divert the stream into the nest after plugging other escape routes to drown all the goblins.

He really hates goblins.

LibraryOgre
2018-10-16, 08:51 AM
"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" was made for mowing down hordes of aliens. You could change that to demons very easily.

Came here to suggest that. Hey, look, it's cheap at DriveThru! (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/56768/Three-Sixteen?affiliate_id=315505)

Gryphonfg
2018-10-16, 09:27 AM
After reading this thread, I now want to do a Doom inspired chapter in my upcoming Starfinder game. If one was to use the Starfinder setting, what monsters would you use for the demons?

noob
2018-10-16, 09:30 AM
Starfinder is extraordinarily bad for playing an adventure about mowing down hordes.
Approximately as much bad as dnd or pathfinder.
But you can do something about fighting demons with starfinder: you can just take pathfinder monsters and adapt them for a bunch of demons then complete with "zombies" and "possessed people" by taking monsters from starfinder and re-fluffing then make some demons with basic ranged attacks for the whole chain of progression from imp to baron of hell.
And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each) you can have a fight with 20 demons involved but it will be clunky and starfinder is not adapted to that.

Psyren
2018-10-16, 01:29 PM
Starfinder is extraordinarily bad for playing an adventure about mowing down hordes.

Disagree, all the SF weapons have levels and a ton of them have AoE options. Mowing down hordes is the same in SF as it is in D&D and many other RPGs - be higher level than the things you're fighting, and be able to damage multiple things at once. It's safe to conclude that Doom Guy was much higher level than the demons he was up against given that (a) he was some kind of ancient legendary warrior and (b) he could storm Hell itself and survive.

And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each)

"Cinematic?" It's Doom. You roll damage, things die, you move to the next room. The core strategy comes from properly positioning yourself, managing ammo and health, and finding keys to progress. Really, only the boss fights should come close to feeling like a traditional encounter.

Rhedyn
2018-10-16, 01:43 PM
Disagree, all the SF weapons have levels and a ton of them have AoE options. Mowing down hordes is the same in SF as it is in D&D and many other RPGs - be higher level than the things you're fighting, and be able to damage multiple things at once. It's safe to conclude that Doom Guy was much higher level than the demons he was up against given that (a) he was some kind of ancient legendary warrior and (b) he could storm Hell itself and survive.
"Extraordinarily bad" can be taken as "No where near as good"

Like you could approximate Doom Guy as a 40K Primarch and just use the Wargame rules against hordes of Chaos demons. I believe there is ways to spend more points on units like that, which could be your upgrades. That would fit a lot better than 3.X or 5e. 4e could work well just by making most demons minions (1 hit point). Likewise, I believe Savage Worlds could do this even better.

Basically, the closer you approach a Wargame, the better the RPG is going to be for Doom. Mainly because Doom is about combat. Not so much creative combat, but raw run&gun/melee murdering.

Like maybe Starfinder could work well enough, but it's designed for it's niche and is fairly inflexible.

Psyren
2018-10-16, 03:21 PM
I'd have to take your word for it on that, I've never played 40K in my life. What I can tell you is that Starfinder's rules (including classes, guns, power armor, and monsters) are OGL and thus available for free legally (https://glasstopgames.com/sfrpg/rules/), so OP has very little to lose by giving them a try. It's also a famous enough system (and close enough to PF) that they can get advice for converting or creating monsters easily.

After reading this thread, I now want to do a Doom inspired chapter in my upcoming Starfinder game. If one was to use the Starfinder setting, what monsters would you use for the demons?

A big chunk of Doom's enemies are actually undead. For the ones that are actually demons, the creature type doesn't really matter so you can find applicable monsters fairly readily and just slap the label on them.

noob
2018-10-16, 03:45 PM
"Cinematic?" It's Doom. You roll damage, things die, you move to the next room. The core strategy comes from properly positioning yourself, managing ammo and health, and finding keys to progress. Really, only the boss fights should come close to feeling like a traditional encounter.

it looks like if you did not read my post entirely.
I said
"And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each) you can have a fight with 20 demons involved but it will be clunky and starfinder is not adapted to that."
emphasis on the fact it goes fast only if you skip tactics or else it becomes not only boring but very long.

I said the other dnds were as bad as starfinder for seeing that try to do a fight with 20 monsters and see how rolling initiative 20 times then doing a turn where every opponent try to move attack stuff and you see the game will slow down to a crawl.
I did try in dnd to make a horde fight and it took tons of time because making each monster move or attack takes tons of time especially when there is interactions that change the following actions like "bob is in range for charging and have a clear line so he does then dave wants to attack but due to bob there is no clear line so dave try to throw demonic plasma but since bob is in the line we need to check if dave can make his shot without hitting bob".
But if you skip tactics entirely and decide "let us say everything is at the same point and that everyone can attack the protagonist" then it starts being not too long and boring but that was what I mentioned in the whole "skip tactics"

For simulating doom I suggest either picking a system that does not involve tons of dice but more geometry or picking a system that care less about position because d20 is the worst combination of both having tons of dice and of needing placement.
We could do tactics minus the dice rolling and it would speed up things but then it would not be starfinder.

Also starfinder have utter inflation on dices of weapons so when you want to shoot you then roll 6 dices for mid end weapons and a dozen or more for high end weapons and then there is also weapons that inflicts conditions thus adding even more time spent adding bonuses and dice.

Blazmo
2018-10-17, 01:33 AM
OK this isn't strictly an RPG but you might be interested in some of the miniatures games by Nordic Weasel Games, available at wargamevault.com. He's released a number of narratively-focused wargames that are mostly in the sci-fi genre including one that is based on an Aliens-esque premise

Kane0
2018-10-17, 06:15 PM
That's... a more complex question than I initially thought.

You probably won't want something like D&D, the resolution mechanics just don't mesh with the theme and expected gameplay.
The core gameplay loop is about picking the right weapon for the enemies at hand, prioritizing which ones to shoot and staying on the move to avoid being caught by projectile attacks. Those three things need to be in control of the player for the same sort of experience.

No idea what system would support that, but the fast, chaotic tactical decisions of DOOM are quite different to the slow, methodical ones common to most RPGs.

Psyren
2018-10-17, 10:52 PM
it looks like if you did not read my post entirely.
I said
"And if you are ready to spend turns lasting a few dozen minutes each (You can reduce that a lot if you skip tactics and have training rolling buckets of dice but then it will not be very cinematic but with that you can reduce turns to a few minutes each) you can have a fight with 20 demons involved but it will be clunky and starfinder is not adapted to that."
emphasis on the fact it goes fast only if you skip tactics or else it becomes not only boring but very long.

I did read your post. It was the cinematic part I was taking issue with, especially since you didn't do a good job of defining what that was even supposed to mean or why it would be desirable for a Doom game.

I said the other dnds were as bad as starfinder for seeing that try to do a fight with 20 monsters and see how rolling initiative 20 times then doing a turn where every opponent try to move attack stuff and you see the game will slow down to a crawl.
Also starfinder have utter inflation on dices of weapons so when you want to shoot you then roll 6 dices for mid end weapons and a dozen or more for high end weapons and then there is also weapons that inflicts conditions thus adding even more time spent adding bonuses and dice.

SF heavily pruned the bonus sources and types. There is also no flanking and only 3 ways to provoke AoO total in the entire system, so positioning isn't as painstaking as you're making out. I think you're assuming it's just PF/3.5 with a sci-fi paint job but it's definitely not.

noob
2018-10-18, 05:47 AM
Well there is the whole "can not charge through people even allies" and you can not move through opponents and it is hard to guess what is an opponent and what is not for the demons and possessed people in doom since they happily kills each other.
You see here just that restriction means that a turn is not going to finish in less than a few minutes (it will probably even take a dozen of minutes since there is also all the attack rolls to do) if there is charging creatures.
Also I never mentioned flanking nor even possibly imagined a demon could do something such as flanking: demons simply do not try to flank in doom.
I did not factor attacks of opportunity for demons either since doom have probably only 5 foot range with melee attacks and since the majority of the turns are demon turns they they would probably nearly never worry about opportunity attacks unless somehow they would like to flee from melee range but it happens very rarely since most demons when in melee range are glad to strike in melee range.

I imagined only scenarios of the kind "doom finished his turn now the melee demons all try to charge or run toward doom and all the ranged demons try to get nearer and shoot at doom" which is a quite complex scenario due to initiative and how each action can influence the next actions.

Oh and starfinder had the bad idea of keeping the range increments and it is one of the worst things to keep track off in time spend measuring distances between each ranged demon and doom.

I did not say it would be the worst system ever but it is a bad system for doom action.

I am sure we could make or find some system more adapted to doom.
For example if you want to start from starfinder then removing dice throw for damage would save time and make it fit doom better(damage is random only for the fist, the pistol, the chaingun, the chainsaw and the shotguns but with the chaingun, the chainsaw and the shotgun the firing rate is high enough that removing randomness would do no actual change(unless you are thinking about doom 5 in which case it is very different)) and attack throws takes a lot of time so if we can get rid of attack throws it would save more time.

Since doom have an insanely high touch ac and that most demons hits only on a natural 20 we can remove the attack throw and instead considers it autohits but deals 1/20 of the damage thus we removed attack throws for demons and still have the same gameplay.
Then since doom do not really miss in the videogame we can consider that doom have an attack throw so high he nearly never miss his targets and thus skip attack throws for doom.

Mordaedil
2018-10-18, 06:15 AM
It is worth noting that the designers of Doom were pretty big D&D nerds back in the day, so there is a decent amount of overlap.

I think to get the feeling down with dice, you're going to have to make some concessions regardless. Consider Shadowrun rules with reduced complexity and increased intensity. Enemy fire should be easy to dodge, projectiles move at predictable patterns with easy to dodge speeds, but when it is unavoidable it starts to tick down your health.

Give projectiles travel speeds to allow the players to circle around them and fire their own weapons that have much higher travel speeds, but limited ammunition.

Psyren
2018-10-18, 02:08 PM
noob, I'm still confused. So a game isn't cinematic unless you can always charge? Even if its combat is primarily ranged? You can move through allies normally just fine too.

And yeah, you're going to have some amount of mechanical disconnect translating a real-time game to turn-based, but that applies to almost every tabletop system. That isn't unique to SF.

The only guy with high AC (either kind) should really be the player. Again, the point is one badass mowing down legions of monsters. They should only be a challenge in numbers, not individually (except the bosses.)

noob
2018-10-18, 02:42 PM
noob, I'm still confused. So a game isn't cinematic unless you can always charge? Even if its combat is primarily ranged? You can move through allies normally just fine too.

And yeah, you're going to have some amount of mechanical disconnect translating a real-time game to turn-based, but that applies to almost every tabletop system. That isn't unique to SF.

The only guy with high AC (either kind) should really be the player. Again, the point is one badass mowing down legions of monsters. They should only be a challenge in numbers, not individually (except the bosses.)

I said it would not be cinematic if we skipped tactics which would involve considering everything is at the same point.
when there is monsters who charge and/or move and shoot and a doomguy who positions itself and moves around and shoot it is more cinematic than if everything is at the same point and attacks the opponent side until one force disappear.

And I looked in starfinder rules charges are the only form of movement that can not go through allies however you can run though charging allies for getting to a square next to your opponent fine.

ImNotTrevor
2018-10-18, 07:19 PM
What part of the Doom experience do you want to recreate? Order them in your head from most to least important.

If you want action to be fast-paced, steer away from TRPGs in general. They are not, generally speaking, fast or reliant on quick reflexes. Fast in TRPG time means IRL round lengths below 3 minutes. Try playing doom in 15 second bursts with even a one minute break between and tell me it's still fast-paced.

If you want combat to be brutally onesided in favor of the players, you could do that in most systems by making the players OP on purpose.

If you want Man vs. Horde, look to games like FATE and the Apocalypse World Gang Rules for things that allow you to compress many things into functionally one entity to deal with while still allowing plenty of Rip and Tear.

If what you want to emulate is a setting where science and occult magic have blended and spawned horrifying cybernetic hellspawns, well... that's not terribly hard for MANY systems to do.

So it depends entirely on what you want to emulate. But do bear in mind the limits of the medium and where its strengths lie. TRPGs are not great at breakneck pacing, but are good at depth and breadth of possible action.

Bohandas
2018-10-24, 11:54 AM
In terms of tone The setting from the movie adaptation could be plunked right down into Raveloft with minor modifications

Wraith
2018-10-24, 04:58 PM
With a little bit of thought, I came up with SLA Industries as a potentially interesting system for DOOM.

Gun-play is hugely important in SLA Industries; there's a huge shopping list of pistols, rifles, shotguns, grenades and various things - each with different types of ammunition for different situations. Swapping out between several weapons/ammo for different situations is quite viable. Kind of "Cyberpunk Lite" in a way.

That being said, melee combat has a lot of options available.... including stats for at east 2 different kinds of chainsaw. :smalltongue:

Hitpoints are easily restored with "stimpacks". Armour/Damage reduction is quick to resolve and is destructible, like the armour power ups in Doom.

There's a variety of enemies ranking from hordes of fodder, to nightmarish "bosses" which are usually more than a match for an average team of PCs. Enemies also vary between feral monsters who bite and claw in melee, to well-equipped humans and humanoids with equivalent weapons and armour to the PC.... and occasionally, WAY better.

The existing setting is even Doom-esque, in that it's typically happening in a ruinous, post-apocalyptic city-scape.

I also find the combat to be quite cinematic, in that there's a variety of melee and ranged options to choose from (different fighting styles, sniping/supressive fire, etc) and also players soak more damage and tend to act more often than enemies which makes them feel highly competent without being overpowered.

JNAProductions
2018-10-24, 07:28 PM
Can you link me to where I can buy SLA? It looks good, but I’m struggling to find a source.

Wraith
2018-10-25, 02:15 AM
For a hard-copy of the book, your best bet is probably somewhere like Amazon or eBay - the SLA IP has only had a very limited reprint run in the last decade or so, and the first editions aren't cheap to come by.

That said, it's definitely on DriveThruRPG if you don't mind an electronic version, which is cheap enough as far as I recall. Maybe try that and see if it's what you're after, before committing to finding a book?

Telonius
2018-10-25, 12:10 PM
Important question ... are we talking Doom with or without iddqd/idkfa?

GloatingSwine
2018-10-27, 05:25 AM
Dunno as I'd do an RPG for Doom.

Some kind of dungeon crawly board game, like Space Hulk but less lethal for players, would be better.

Bohandas
2018-10-27, 09:42 AM
"Cinematic?" It's Doom.

There was a Doom movie

The Glyphstone
2018-10-27, 09:51 AM
There was a Doom movie

We do not speak of that abomination...

Psyren
2018-10-29, 02:02 PM
If you want action to be fast-paced, steer away from TRPGs in general. They are not, generally speaking, fast or reliant on quick reflexes. Fast in TRPG time means IRL round lengths below 3 minutes. Try playing doom in 15 second bursts with even a one minute break between and tell me it's still fast-paced.

While I agree, I think some level of this needs to be accepted if we're going from a real-time to a turn-based medium.

I think the essence of Doom encapsulated two key experiences:

1) A one-man army in power armor with a variety of inventive futuristic weapons facing down a horde of monsters.
2) Map management that rewards remembering where to find locked doors and stockpiles of consumables.

You can do both of those in a turn-based game and it would still feel more or less like Doom imo. The more complex stuff like rocket-jumping and circle-strafing can be abstracted.

There was a Doom movie

Indeed there was, thanks for proving my point :smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

ImNotTrevor
2018-10-29, 07:16 PM
While I agree, I think some level of this needs to be accepted if we're going from a real-time to a turn-based medium.

I think the essence of Doom encapsulated two key experiences:

1) A one-man army in power armor with a variety of inventive futuristic weapons facing down a horde of monsters.
2) Map management that rewards remembering where to find locked doors and stockpiles of consumables.

You can do both of those in a turn-based game and it would still feel more or less like Doom imo. The more complex stuff like rocket-jumping and circle-strafing can be abstracted.

I did list a few specific potential emulations that you'd want from the system. It was specifically outlined after this paragraph, even. Apparently this paragraph is where you stopped.

As I said there and repeat here, it depends on WHAT PART of the Doom experience you want to emulate. Defining what makes Doom, well, Doom is going to be exceptionally subjective. The "Core" of Doom will shift based on which title we're talking about, what level, who's playing, and what their definition of a "core element" is. Hell, there's even a Doom comic they might be wanting to emulate. And as mentioned, a movie.

The question is: "Of this multifaceted experience, what elements are the most important?" And make system decisions based on that heirarchy of relevance and importance. If I were to attempt Doom as an RPG, I'd focus more on the narrative, aesthetics, and world. But that's the part I find most interesting to explore via TRPG, moreso than emulating gameplay from the videogame (which I won't be able to do as well as the game already does, and does smoother, with fewer interruptions, faster.)

So I'd choose to play to the strengths of the medium that Doom doesn't do as well. But that's an entirely individual choice of mine. What aspects others deem most important will likely differ.

kyoryu
2018-10-29, 07:25 PM
The question is: "Of this multifaceted experience, what elements are the most important?" And make system decisions based on that heirarchy of relevance and importance. If I were to attempt Doom as an RPG, I'd focus more on the narrative, aesthetics, and world. But that's the part I find most interesting to explore via TRPG, moreso than emulating gameplay from the videogame (which I won't be able to do as well as the game already does, and does smoother, with fewer interruptions, faster.)

So I'd choose to play to the strengths of the medium that Doom doesn't do as well. But that's an entirely individual choice of mine. What aspects others deem most important will likely differ.

I agree with this and would like to sign up for your newsletter.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-29, 09:15 PM
The most important part of the Doom experience is the ability to RIP AND TEAR. Everything else is optional.

Scripten
2018-10-29, 10:43 PM
We do not speak of that abomination...

What? Event Horizon wasn't that bad.

Psyren
2018-10-30, 10:49 AM
I did list a few specific potential emulations that you'd want from the system. It was specifically outlined after this paragraph, even. Apparently this paragraph is where you stopped.

As I said there and repeat here, it depends on WHAT PART of the Doom experience you want to emulate. Defining what makes Doom, well, Doom is going to be exceptionally subjective. The "Core" of Doom will shift based on which title we're talking about, what level, who's playing, and what their definition of a "core element" is. Hell, there's even a Doom comic they might be wanting to emulate. And as mentioned, a movie.

I read the whole thing and I actually agree with you that you need to pick the specific facets of the experience to translate that you feel are important. I was merely listing mine.

ngilop
2018-11-10, 08:25 PM
Literally the only time I played mythender (http://mythenderrpg.com/) My sole thought about the game was: Is this an attempt to transpose how a first person shooter or a computer action RPG would be played as a table top RPG?

Oh.. and it is toally free.

Kyrell1978
2018-11-10, 08:45 PM
You could try the d6 system that the old West End Games Star Wars had. It could be manipulated to make combat super lethal fairly easily, and thus keep the mowing down hordes of monsters feel. You could also use some thing like the top secret hit charts where the better your skill level in a particular weapon the better your character could manipulate the aim of the shot. Head shots take away from a smaller pool of hit points than shots to the torso and shots to the arms/legs don't kill right away they just maim.