PDA

View Full Version : R.i.p

dsuursoo
2007-09-16, 08:49 PM
so apparently Robert Jordan passed away today at a quarter to three.

damn.

Dragonrider
2007-09-16, 08:50 PM

Without finishing WoT?

Wow.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-16, 08:51 PM
Rest in Peace........

Catch
2007-09-16, 08:54 PM
*sigh*

You know, for all his enthusiasm and energy, I really thought he was going to make it. Despite the death sentence of his disease, I thought I knew that he'd prove all the doctors wrong and write until the last nail was hammered into his coffin.

But sometimes it doesn't work like that. Sometimes the doctors are right, sometimes no amount of youthful refusal can save you. It's times like those where I hang my head and murmur a few words for those who didn't get a miracle.

Rest in peace, Robert. Thanks for the stories, thanks for never giving up.

Cyrano
2007-09-16, 08:56 PM
You may have written some absolute rubbish, but no one deserves to die. Well, some people. But not you. Know that you did, indeed, write some of the best works of our time, and rest in peace.

B-Man
2007-09-16, 08:59 PM
Man... I rather enjoyed the Wheel of Time series...

A shame that he kicked the bucket before being able to finish the series.

*bows head*

Pwenet
2007-09-16, 09:12 PM
I tried to read your novels, and while I gave up, your works touched many, and even I was interested to hear how you planned to finish it.

R.I.P.

Today is a sad day.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-16, 09:17 PM
I never got into the Wheel of Time series, perhaps fortunately, given some of the things I heard about the books. Still, I know that he will be missed by many.

Firesong
2007-09-16, 09:25 PM
Death may be lighter than a feather, and duty heavier than a mountain, but he will be missed.

...And when it's gone, then we'll away, to dance with Jack O' the Shadows...

EmeraldRose
2007-09-16, 09:29 PM
I'll always wonder now, how the series would end. Perhaps someday, someone will take up the mantle, and finish it out.

I hope that he is at peace now, and free of pain at last. I didn't even know he was dying. :smallfrown:

MOD
2007-09-16, 09:36 PM
It is a sad state of affairs when any person dies. In the case of Robert Jordan it is, a least to me, a travesty. He worked so hard all during his life writing most infamously the Wheel of Time series.

I loved that series and was eagerly awaiting the conclusion but with his passing we may never know how the series will end. However, I choose to believe that someone will finish the series eventually. Whether that be avid fans or other authors I am confident that it will be done.

You had a good life Robert Jordan and you will be missed. Rest In Peace...

Rare Pink Leech
2007-09-16, 09:47 PM
Wow ... just wow. As an avid Wheel of Time fan, this news is like getting a kick to the stomach. I met the man once, at a book signing, and he was truly a nice person. My sincere condolences to his widow, Harriet, who I met and talked to at the same book signing. She, too, is a lovely person.

However, I do have faith that the series will be completed. I know from reading his blog that while writing A Memory Of Light he was also writing detailed notes for the rest of the story, just in case. Even better, his cousin Wilson updated the blog only about a week ago, RJ told him and Harriet, in detail, the remainder of the plot of the Wheel of Time. I know from previous interviews that RJ had never told anyone, Harriet included, the ending. We'll see ....

Again, my condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-16, 09:54 PM
One advantage to knowing the end is near I suppose is having a chance to give that sort of information to people that can put it to use once you're gone.

I'm really completely unfamiliar with Wheel of Time, and I never read anything else by Robert Jordan. So, unfortunately, this event doesn't leave me with much personal impact other than that based on what MOD said: It's sad when anyone dies.

My sympathies to anyone that needs them.

crimson77
2007-09-16, 10:27 PM
so apparently Robert Jordan passed away today at a quarter to three.

damn.

where is your source?

tannish2
2007-09-17, 12:12 AM
YAY! HES DEAD! (which means i can finally read his books, which it will be good to finally do because ive heard good things about them) i know that may sound assish, but think how much better everything he wrote will be now that hes dead. (i know i sound like an ass, but think about it, the best writing is done by people who died before you read their stuff) sucks that he left a series unfinished though.

black wagner
2007-09-17, 12:22 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!

Ok, first all the proper stuff, a shame someone passed away, no one should have to be sick, ect ect etc. (and dont take it as callous or sarcastic, I mean it)

BUT

Ive invested a lot of time into this series. I was saying to a friend of mine a couple years ago when we were talking about how long the series is and how it is being stretched out without a lot being solved, that it would suck if he died and left everything unresolved.

R.I.P. Mr. Jordan. Your fans will miss you.

reorith
2007-09-17, 12:50 AM
that is a shame. what a blow to the literary world :( eye of the world is possibly one of the best books i've read. at least we still have chuck palahniuk.

why couldn't it have been anne mccaffrey instead?

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 01:06 AM
It is sad to hear of his passing.

I had read many books in the series, but stopped reading with the intention of beginning again when the series was finished. Now that will never happen.

However, I also believe that there is a lesson to be learned here.

We never know how much time we have left in this world.

So drawing things out, just to extend the life of a franchise could result in a work that remains unfinished, and the authors true genius/intentions/whatever never being realized.

*steps off her soap box and awaits the slings and arrows. Perhaps even a bit of tar and feathers... and a rotten tomato wouldn't be unexpected either*

dsuursoo
2007-09-17, 01:37 AM
where is your source?

www.dragonmount.com is the blog he used to keep people updated, his brother would post often. it's the top post on the blog page.

be aware, the site's likely slashdotted by his fans, knowing how the news will go over.

i guess this means that there's likely going to be a green light on the teen 'drama' version of the wheel of time, set in santa barbara and starring most of the cast of those various teen shows on the networks nowadays.

further note: for those really wishing to get it right, his real name is James Oliver Rigby.

Sir_Norbert
2007-09-17, 01:48 PM
Goodbye.

I never read any of his works (been put off them by friends who've said they are execrable), but it's always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow writer. And poignant -- especially considering what Thes just said -- as I too will be hoping I am given enough time to finish my series.

Robert, even if opinion is divided on your works in the end, at least you died with the satisfaction of knowing you touched many fans' lives, and that's certainly no mean achievement.

BubbaK
2007-09-17, 06:11 PM
Rest in Peace my friend, didnt know him, but I KNOW how it FEELS to lose a friend.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-17, 08:31 PM
Oh. I've never read his books, but it feels bad to lose someone. :smallfrown:

Daniel A. Torre
2007-09-18, 12:51 AM
One of the truly great authors of our time. I have read R.J's books many times. And each time enjoyed them as if reading them for the first time.
I and many others had hoped that he would be able to finish WOT. And even start another series that he had mentioned on his blog. But it is not to be.
Until we meet on the other side good Sir.

Author: Robert Jordan

Aiel mourning song.

Life is a dream - that knows no shade.
Life is a dream - of pain and woe.
A dream from which - we pray to wake.
A dream from which - we wake and go.
Who would sleep - when the new dawn waits?
Who would sleep - when the sweet winds blow?
A dream must end - when the new dawn comes.
This dream from which - we wake and go.

(A Crown of Swords, Chapter 2)

Jak o' the Shadows

We'll drink the wine till the cup is dry,
And kiss the girls so they'll not cry,
And toss the dice until we fly
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

We'll dance all night while the moon runs free,
And dandle the lasses upon our knee,
And then you'll ride along with me,

We'll sing all night, and drink all day,
And on the girls we'll spend our pay,
And when it's gone, then we'll away,

There's some delight in ale and wine,
And some in girls with ankles fine,
But my delight, yes, always mine,
Is to dance with Jak o' the Shadows.

(The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 3, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 45, Lord of Chaos, Chapter 5)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
and snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
to dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

(Added after the battle for Cairhien, The Fires of Heaven, Chapter 45.)

Last_resort_33
2007-09-18, 01:45 AM
On a similar note, may I hijack a small corner of this thread to pay a tribute to a fantastic sportsman?

Ladies and Gentlemen... Colin McRae.

dsuursoo
2007-09-18, 10:22 AM
so... who's up for a tribute d20 WoT game?

Daniel A. Torre
2007-09-18, 11:42 PM
What kind of tribute were you thinking of Dsuursoo?

dsuursoo
2007-09-19, 12:07 AM
really just a game. no idea of time frame, setting, etc. one of those things, you know, like pouring an ounce out of your forty.

North
2007-09-21, 02:55 AM
:smallfrown:

Thats terrible news. He was a great writer. Not just the Wheel of Time but his Conan books were good too. The Wheel of Time series was one of the first fantasy series I started reading, kind of set the standard for series writing after that. After reading this I did some googling.

Beyond expressions of sadness at Jordan's passing, I have no doubt the most frequent question/concern will be, "What happens to WoT?"

I talked with Jason about this. He said that Jordan has been dictating outlines and plot lines and everything else related to the final book. He used the phrase "army of writers" to talk about the people that were converting those tapes into written form.

It would appear that the final book will still be published, I'm sure details regarding that will work themselves out. So please be patient (as challenging as that might be), and for now let's focus on Jordan's life, writing, and the joy he brought to us.

So it does like it will still be finished.

But definitely not with the style and flair Jordan had for the others.

Robert Jordan will be missed.